Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here is a Rib preparation question for ya????? HELP

toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, here is the deal. My girlfriend's old college friends are coming into town (Saratoga, NY) for a Jazz fest this weekend. Her guy friends that are coming are always hounding me about cooking up some ribs for them ever since they heard I got a smoker. I really want to be able to smoke them up some ribs this weekend and I suggested to my girlfriend that I would stay home from the fest and cook the ribs up for everyone so when they got back from the fest it would be waiting. Well, as you might imagine, that didnt go over well with the Mrs. She wants me at the jazz fest with her friends. Anyway, I still would like to do the ribs. [p]I was thinking that i could get up a bit earlier then normal and put the ribs on the egg indirect for the 3 hours. I could then wrap them in foil and put them back on the egg for just a 1/2 hr and then take them off the egg but keep them in the foil for the time I am at the Jazz fest (maybe 2-4hrs who knows. I could put them foiled up in my gas grill and keep the lid close. just dont turn the burners on. I would leave the jazz fest a bit earlier (maybe 45 mins or so) and go back to the house and finish off the ribs on the egg with direct heat for an hour or so.[p]does this make sense to anyone? any alternative ideas? does the quality of the rib get screwed up by this method?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    toomsdpt,
    you want them refrigerated if they aren't in the smoker....[p]i don't know how long the jazz fest is, but leaving them out that long is not too cool[p]it'd be a different thing if they were being smoked all that time.[p]you could pre-cook, say the 3-1-1 method, except not do the last direct hour.[p]when you get back from the fest, spark off, and reheatindirect for a half hour or so (if they go on cold). you could ad smoke here again, too.
    after the half hour or so, go direct for maybe a half hour or 45 minutes in order to get them gooey (if that's how you like them i mean)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    toomsdpt,
    If you have a "Guru" all the better, either way the idea would be to cook them instead of 5-6 hours at 235°-250°, go say 8-10 hours at 215°-225°. No guru...If you trust your fire building skills just set it lower and let it go longer. You should be able to put them on before you leave...and with a little discipline on your return time...you should be able to serve fresh hot ribs...The Guru would certainly give piece of mind in this case...not trying to sell the thing, but this would be the "best" way given your situation...[p]Wess

• toomsdpt
    WessB,[p]
    Thanks Wess. I think I may try to be bold and leave them on the egg while on gone. Just a bit nervous about temp changing on me

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    toomsdpt,
    It would probably also be wise to use a rib rack since you wont be doing any turning...When I first got my guru, I did a test run based on the idea of cooking ribs while at work.....I set the guru for 215° grid temp, put the ribs in a rack and totally ignored things for 10 hours, spent the 11th hour saucing and that was it...I will admit they were not my best ever ribs, but still damn good....Let us know how it all turns out.[p]Wess

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    toomsdpt,
    I know I'm going to catch hell for this but here goes...
    I would cook the day before and put in frig.
    The next day I would cut the ribs into single bone pieces and place in large foil pan with a light BBQ sauce such as KC master, a little of your beer ( or apple juice) and a touch of honey. Cover with foil and reheat on low in the oven. If you have a timer on your stove load it all up and set the time to turn on 2 hours after you take off to the fest. When you get home the ribs will be ready to eat.
    They may not be the very best but they will be great and you can enjoy your friends and the fest and not worry about your ribs. I have done this in the past with left over frozen ribs and they were still great. I like to baste every 15 or 20 min if I had my choice but both ways have worked well. The ribs on the bottom will be fall off the bone tender and the ones on the top will be firmer.
    Your friends will understand the fact that you worked hard for them but still wanted to enjoy the Jazz Fest with your girlfriend.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • toomsdpt,
    i think this might be do-able! as a just in case,,,don't put a huge pile of charcoal in, set the fire and get it burning low, set up an indirect cooking method, and put the ribs on before you leave. let everyone know before-hand this a first-time experiment and have some steaks ready to go (just in case) when you get home. 2-4 hours shouldn't be a big problem as long as the temps stay low.
    when you get home see what you have. maybe do a half hour more of direct with some sauce and serve. i've found that people who only know ribs from ordering them at their local steak or chicken place prefer saucy ribs.
    if i were you,,,i'd roll the dice. after you explain that this is not nearly the preferred method of cooking the ribs on the egg, and after they taste them, i'm sure they'll still think they are the best they've ever tasted!

• toomsdpt
    EGGlomaniac,
    thanks man

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    toomsdpt,[p]I'm quoting your post here: "I suggested to my girlfriend that I would stay home . . . . Well, as you might imagine, that didnt go over well with the Mrs."[p]Now that's a cool Mrs. -- she wants you to go out with the girlfriend? You must be some kind of barbeque expert, to keep both of them so happy![p]Way to go! :)[p]

• toomsdpt,[p] no problem! the reason i said to monitor the amount of lump you put in before the cook was to (in case the Jazz fest ran long) keep the fire burning lower, longer. with a huge pile of lump, the temp could increase and you really want the opposite to happen.
    GOOD LUCK and let us know how things turn out!!!!

• egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Photo Egg,
    I've done similar for workmates. I had 5 or 6 racks left over from a BBQ and just sealed them up whole in aluminum trays for the night. The next day, I just added a little apple juice and heated them up in the oven at work, 220 degrees for a couple hours. [p]I could not tell the difference from when they were fresh off the egg. [p]So go ahead, cook the day before, refrigerate overnight, reheat in oven while at the jazzfest.[p]