Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polish kielbasa

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A Polish lady from work gave me a "bit of a" recipe for Polish kielbasa. (A bit of this, a bit of that..) But it's her brother-in-law who does the smoking of it, and she can't help me with that bit. I told her not to worry, that this forum would surely help me there. Any ideas, folks? I'm dying to try smoking some sausage![p]Taste Bud

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Taste Bud,
    The true smoking method for Sausages is more of a cold smoking process that preserves the sausage rather than cooking it. They would use a smokehouse for this. That being said, lets get about the business of you making the sausage.[p]Make the recipe that she gave you. Depending upon how much you make, you can simply cook the fresh sausage with some smoking wood and it will be great. As for cold smoking, suspend the sausage in an indirect setup and keep the temperature as close to 200 as you can. I am not sure how long, probably a couple of hours.[p]Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you a more accurate time to keep the sausage smoking.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Try this link.
    [ul][li]Sausage Making[/ul]
  • BBbrew
    BBbrew Posts: 33
    Options
    Taste Bud,[p]Pork Butt, garlic, majoram, pepper, salt, and cure. Are all you need for authentic Polish sausage. Stuff into casings and smoke at 180 to 200 for 2 to 3 hours over hickory smoke.
    Gently steam in a large pot to ensure doneness. Then remove the sausages from pot, shower with cold water (the sausage, not yourself) and hang to dry at room temperature for an hour to allow for a proper bloom (that reddish/mahogany color from the nitrates in the cure). [p]Refridgerate or freeze to keep. When ready to serve, place sausage in a frying pan, smother with saurkraut, and gently simmer until warm.[p]Check out the link below to the Sausage Maker. Rytek Kutas is the god father of modern sausage making technique. (Get the book)

[ul][li]The Sausage Maker[/ul]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    RhumAndJerk:[p]For a nice breakfast treat on weekends I take homemade fresh sausage and smoke with the wood selection for the day at 200º for twenty or thirty minutes then raise the temperature to finish cooking. The smoke time will depend on your taste for smoke. Thanks for the sausage link, has a nice recipe section.