Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help !! New Cast Dutch Oven - Clean?

Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just finished seasoning (first run) my new father's day Dutch Oven.[p]It has a slight residue of oil left on it. Should it just be wiped with paper towels, washed with hot water, or what?[p]It is my plan to repeat the seasoning step another time or two.[p]I am envisioning a big pot of barbecued beans in the near future. After the cook, should it just be washed with hot water or should dish wash liquid be used as well[p]After it has been washed, is it necessary to season it again?[p]I am looking forward to using it and think it will add to the BGE fun.[p]If you know ANYTHING about cast iron cook ware you know more than I do. (smile)[p]Any comments will be appreciated. [p]

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Kyle,[p] DO NOT get soap anywhere near cast iron, unless you like the taste of soap in your food,[p] I'd whip off the excess oil. Use fresh oil and coat it again. Then use that to season it again. After that wipe a very thin layer of oil on it..[p]
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Kyle,
    You should have had instructions with your dutch oven.Wash with hot water and soap to clean any coatings the mfg.would have put on the oven.Let dry,take an oil covered paper towel and wipe all surfaces with a thin coat of oil.Put in 350 degree oven for 1 hour.Let cool down,wipe any excess oil film from from oven and repeat the process as mentioned above.Should be OK to use.NEVER scrub oven,treat as you would a non stick pan.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Hi Kyle,[p] Throw a couple of handfulls of kosher salt in the pot and rub it around with a handful of paper towells. When the salt is nasty dump it and wipe down with oil and redo the heating process.
    I find it better to use Crisco shortening (solid) and pour off the excess every now and then during the heating process. After one or two cycles wipe it down with another handfull of paper towels and you're ready to cook.[p]That's how my grandmother and grandfather treated their cast iron, and I still got some of it! He rode with Wil Rogers back in the old days and I know he had one of the skillets for sure then! Good stuff! I love 'em!

• Kyle
    Responders,[p]I sincerely thank you for your help. I have a lot to learn about the BGE and related cooking.[p]I have found the Forum to be a life saver. Lots of wonderful people.[p]Again - thank you

• darnoc,
    No you don't want to use the oven in the house to season. You can just oil it and throw it on the BGE turn it upside down and cook it for an hour or two and leave it on until it cools or over night.
    I don't use soap ever on it, just a stiff plastic brush and brush the foods that sticks on.
    Foods shouldn't stick on too much if you had it seasoned good.

• Eggineer
    Eggineer Posts: 30
    Kyle,
    Which size dutch oven did you get? I've been eyeing a few at the old hardware store down the road....

• Kyle
    Eggineer,
    Specifically it is a BGD 6591. It is about 3 quarts.

• Next Question...do you season with the lid on or off??[p]Bruce
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Big Daddy - OCT,[p] OFF and upside down. I'd put a drip pan under it.. Then season the lid
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    BGEphotos002.jpg
    <p />Kyle,
    I seasoned my Dutch Oven once, rinsed in warm water and wiped dry.[p]Here's a picture of some peach cobbler that we cooked.

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Big Daddy - OCT,
    And be sure to store it with the lid off. Any moisture, even from the air, that is trapped inside will cause a bit of rusting if you don't use it for a while.[p]Happy cooking!

• Celtic Wolf and Trouble,[p]Thanks to you both for the answer I was looking for!