Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg Question

Options
Hi.  I've been a long time Weber Smokey Mountain user, but have decided it's time to get an Egg.  Pacific Northwest Eggfest is coming up and my plan is to get a demo egg.  Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

For starters, I'm trying to decide between a large and an extra-large egg.  I'm leaning towards extra-large because my rectangular baking steel would fit on it for pizza and I'd be able to fit a bigger brisket on it.  That said, it's more expensive so not sure it make sense.  Any thoughts here would be helpful.

Also, advice on how to transport a potentially hot egg in a minivan would be helpful too.

Thx
-Michael

Comments

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Hey Michael- 

Obvious things to think about are potential frequency of usage and how many you will be serving.

Say you use the egg 10x a month you are looking at much more charcoal consumption with an XL than a Large, which is a reason why many of us start with a Large or XL and then get a Small, Mini-Maxx, or Mini.  

Ego does get in the way, and also contemplated an XL at the beginning. I own a large and a small but have cooked on the XL a handful of times. 

You will get many opinions, but mine is start with the large, you can always go up, or down in size but it is the most versatile option wise and is a bit better on fuel than the XL.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    My opinion is get the large and let it cool completely before transporting.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I would agree, wait until it is completely cooled down or warm to the touch. I personally would not go for the large as I love my XL. For me if I was already spending the money a hundred or two wasn't going to hurt me in the long run. Go big or go home, accessories aren't limited at all anything out there for a large is available pretty much for any egg size.

If you can afford it go with the XL, the lump argument to me is useless as I usually cook for four, five people and you can get reducers to rectify the issue if that was your main concern. The XL obviously has more room to begin with and the money you spend on other gadgets to gain room in a large you already get off the bat with the XL. So from that perspective it justifies the cost of the XL. If you need even more room well the accessories are there for that. 

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    It will cool down in a reasonable time with the lid open and the charcoal removed, but it will still require some patience.
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    How many do you cook for? We have an XL and a MM. I love them both for different reasons. Large cooks, large items the XL is so much easier to work with. When it is only My Beautiful Wife and I, or cooking small, we use the MM.
    find someone to help you carry that big dude, whichever route you go.
    Have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Michael. I've been using all the sizes, and I probably use the Large the most. However, I appreciate the XL every time I use it, and am growing more fond of it as the years go by. Get the XL, then ponder whether to get the Large, Medium, or MiniMax for your second EGG :)

Do you mean transportation advice on getting it home? Or are you going to be traveling with it?

Good luck with the decision and purchase.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No opinion on the size as I am a medium guy myself......but all I can think about is the mayhem commercial when I hear you want to drive with a hot egg. The one where they bought the industrial size lighter fluid. I still laugh at that one to this day....but really don't think you should be driving with a hot egg. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    all depends on how much you're going to cook. A large has been perfect for me and the family. You should check back here on Friday nights, its fun. Welcome to the forums. There are plenty of people that will help you out!
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • mraschko
    mraschko Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice here!  Really appreciate it. 

The mayhem commercial has been on my mind too.  According to the FAQ, they stop cooking around 3 and demo eggs are available to pick up between 4 and 5:30.  Will it be cool by then?

The transportation advice is how to get a possibly still warm egg home safely in a minivan.  I worry about somehow cracking it.

Based on all the comments, I think I'm going large rather than XL.  I don't often cook for a large group and when I do, I can still use the Weber Smokey Mountain.  Main reason for XL would be grid space so I can get a brisket on easier than on my Weber, but I've coped with that problem for years already, so probably not worth the $$.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  And you are right to be concerned about the cool-down following the fest.  But most (key word) will ensure cool and lump removed before you take possession.  There have been a few stories where the previous wasn't performed and there was a self ignition enroute home.  Fortunately no damage (and a nice smelling vehicle ) and no one hurt.

Here's a good ceramic grill site worth checking out when you can:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    My vote would be start with a large. My large and medium get used way more than my XL. There really is no choice but to let it cool off prior to transporting. I always take them apart also.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • U2Pilot
    U2Pilot Posts: 14
    Options
    I just took delivery of my XLG and love it. I was in the same quandery you are and so glad I went bigger. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I started with a medium and then got a large. I think the large is perfect for a family of four.  The XL would be nice. It's so big though. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Better to have it and not need it rather than the other way around.....Just my opinion. I have an XL and cook for four about three times a week. I like the fact that I can spread food out horizontally rather than vertically. As for lump consumption, I have a reducer ring that will convert the fire box to what I have been told is the same lump volume as a large. However , I mostly just stir up what I have left and put fresh lump in the middle and keep Egging on. It's nice to have enough space to be able to split the egg in half and have a fire on one side and and an indirect heating area on the other half , which I have found makes a very nice " Broiler " at about 550*. I have never wished that I had gotten a smaller egg , or had any regret that I bought an XL.
      WECOME TO YOUR NEW OBSESSION !! :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    With the XL, you can always do smaller cooks... with the SM/LG, you can't go bigger.

(This from one who has lit the XL just for a single hotdog.)