Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long will unopened bags of decent lump stay "fresh" in garage ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I was down to one bag at one point. Rained the night before. Picked it up off the ground (with much difficulty as the bag tried to fall apart), threw it in the Egg wet and all and lo and behold it lit (took a bit longer even with a weed burner) but who'd a thunk it, it lit, was hot and food was grilled upon it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Charcoal is the oldest known "manufactured" product known to man.  Does that make the FIRST manufactured product?  NO, it's just because it lasts forever and modern day man could still find it and date it.  Anything else that old has broken down in the nothing over the years.

To the OP's question, don't worry, it will last forever and nothing will effect it.  Moisture will cause it to take longer to light, but that changes by the day, not by age.  Only other thing, to worry about would be rodents and other critters.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Even rodents and critters will light....eventually.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    What's humidity?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Learn something every day. I've been rotating my lump to keep the oldest near the top of the pile, having read this post, I realize the futility of my extra effort. More drinking time.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I'd be more worried about the bags falling apart in 100 years or so.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    FoodSaver bag and keep in the freezer; it will last forever.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It's carbon!  Like diamonds.  Never goes bad!  Just doesn't make for a good ring.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    edited March 2016
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Even rodents and critters will light....eventually.
    :rofl: :rofl : :rofl:

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I bet Abter wishes he never asked that question.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    XC242 said:
    What's humidity

Ask @nolaegghead

New Albany, Ohio 

• Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    I bought a bunch of fogo for low and slows and still have several bags left. Used some yesterday from a bag at least 1.5 years old that sits outside under an overhang. Lit right up and burnt very evenly for my rib cook. 

I buy 5 or 6 bags at a time of what ever I can get locally and that will get me through a season and get me into the next. I only went through 3 bags over the winter but now spring is here I'll be egging more. 

Dont sweat it. If you find a deal of something you like, buy in bulk if you have the room.