Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many of you Fly Fish?

Options
1move
1move Posts: 516
edited March 2016 in Off Topic
I enjoy this forum because there is like minded people that are very generous with their knowledge and very helpful no matter the time of day! Being that this type of hobby is expensive and so is fly fishing I personally can't just choose one.  

So I figured I would ask how many of you enjoy fly fishing as your othe hobby? 

Our biggest expense is probably fly fishing as my wife and I both fly fish and I spent more so far in flies than an egg.

Maybe be post some photos and your general location as its nice to see all the wonderful places out there!

Here is a beautiful 13" Brown trout and a 21" rainbow caught last Wednesday

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    I don't but would love to try one day, only issue around here is the "hot" rivers where the trout run can be busy with other folks into the same thing. My favorite part of fishing is going somewhere, where there isn't another person for at least 5-10 miles in any direction, and to do that here its pretty much lakes only
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    nice fish by the way, have never caught a brown yet
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I've got all the gear and been out a bunch.  it's a lot of fun I'm just terrible at it.
    Parker, Colorado
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I do a bit.  3 of us go somewhere each year, been doing that for 15 years now.  usually out west, but sometimes down here in Florida.  It is very expensive!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I was really into fly fishing for trout in my youth, tied my own, etc.  Then it became how I fished when I backpacked, mostly high sierras.  I haven't done either in years, but if I retire and leave Texas I would probably restart.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    our season hasnt started here in maine yet but here is a brown from montana

38ec36bejpg

an ugly king out of new york

new hampshire rainbow

pittsburg016jpg

san juan rainbow

3bf77e37jpg

massachusetts  atlantic

season starts in maine on the first, i mostly chase landlocks, this is a wood carved replica of my biggest so far, a 7 pounder

100_1362jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I am, and build my own rods and flies. I have 2- 2, 3, 5, 7, (now busted because of a travally) 9, and 14 weight rods. I have caught 4" native brookies to bluefun tuna and a ton in between. Most memorable was a golden tout at leg lake in Wyoming. But for now that elusive bill fish is still waiting for me.  Love the sport!!  I do not have any pictures on my phone right now, but will try and dig some up.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i salt as well but dont have pics handy.  ive hooked stripers blues, blue shark, mako(zero chance to land this one) bonefish, false albies, horse eye jacks, barracuda, huge needlefish. had a bull shark grab a bone right out of my hands once (this was scary =) ,  found a twenty foot long baskin sitting verticle in the water column sucking in anchovies and cast a fly into its mouth (my big fish story and its true B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    Living in the western US it's almost a mandatory requirement. Most of my fishing is the lesser known local streams and high mountain lakes for the small but rewarding trout. I was lucky enough years ago to work as a videographer on an Outdoors TV show. That was a decade of decadence when it came to the outdoor pursuits. Occasionally, there was some time to get some really good fishing in like this day on the Alagnak river in Alaska.
  • BrisketBob
    BrisketBob Posts: 145
    Options
    Fishless, I really thought you were fishless.Guess not!
  • Lo_Gear
    Lo_Gear Posts: 108
    Options
    I fly fish the holston tailwaters in Tennessee 
  • Lo_Gear
    Lo_Gear Posts: 108
    Options
    For some reason these 2 didn't load with the other post
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @Lo_Gear That's a pretty fish, nice catch!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice fish. Years ago when my guys were teens, we would camp and fish, fly and spin, all over the PNW. Dolly Varden was the favourite, with rainbows a close second. Haven't been in years. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I used to fly fish a lot. Western PA, and a lot around Cleveland. The rivers around Cleveland were an incredible steelhead fishery. Tied most of my own flies. 

Caught (and released) a brookie in the Adirondacks once. Prettiest fish I ever saw. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    From the Guadalupe River in South Texas. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Seemed like a lot of extra work and that poor guide worked his butt off getting me out of trees. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DeadReddog
    Options
    I fly fish when I get the chance. Western NC for trout, Charleston SC for Redfish. Went to NM and hit the San Juan river once. Steelhead in Canada once. Wish I had more opportunity.
    Charleston, South Cackalackey  XLBGE
  • 1move
    Options
    Beautiful!!! Keep 'em coming everyone!!! Feel free to post any catches in the future! 

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Before kids I used to fly fish a lot. And Duck hunt, and play golf, and ride my bike......

No wild streams close but several stocked spots that are very productive. Love the pics
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    1move said:
    I enjoy this forum because there is like minded people that are very generous with their knowledge and very helpful no matter the time of day! Being that this type of hobby is expensive and so is fly fishing I personally can't just choose one.  

So I figured I would ask how many of you enjoy fly fishing as your othe hobby? 

Our biggest expense is probably fly fishing as my wife and I both fly fish and I spent more so far in flies than an egg.

Maybe be post some photos and your general location as its nice to see all the wonderful places out there!

Here is a beautiful 13" Brown trout and a 21" rainbow caught last Wednesday

Nice Bow River fish @1move...

Looks like we share a passion.  I live 2 minutes from a stream/creek rife with Brookies and cutties, and 5 minutes from another free-stone with cutties, bows and Rockies.  I find the Bow too busy, but love the little creeks and streams in the foothills where I can walk and wade easily.

Love fly fishing, but I'm an equal opportunity fishing guy. If I'm not chucking dries with my zero weight, I'm chucking hardware for pike and walleye, bottom bouncing for halibut on the coast, or looking for salmon wherever I can find them.  

Looking forward to post-Stampede...when the runoff subsides and all the flowing water is open for business!
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • 1move
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Braggart thank you! I keep telling you we should meet up for a beer or something. We have way too many things in common.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Hairless_Hand
    Hairless_Hand Posts: 214
    edited March 2016
    Options

Gallatin River near Big Sky, MT
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I've fished the bow several times, I prefer the mountain streams for cutthroats but since I don't live in the west its mostly smallies on Ontario rivers. My best brown was a 26 inch monster on the Saugeen. 
    I fly fish far more than I should, not as much as I want. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Long ago in my youth I fly fished and really sucked at it, but always enjoyed the solitude of nature. My only claim to fisherman fame was landing a 13 inch Grayling at Red Feather Lakes west of Fort Collins CO. Still have the fly rod, reel and tieing stuff from back then.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    I'm slowly getting into fly fishing over the last 2 years, largely from the kayak.  It's so relaxing just floating around out there…until I blow up my line into a huge rats nest, argh!
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM