Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"I Hate rap...but" music you like

Options
MaC122
MaC122 Posts: 797
tribe called quest
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    You misspelled crap.  It's a common mistake because the "c" is silent.  
    haha hes right.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Just tryin' to help a brother out.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Or maybe it's a preconceived notion of a joke?  Goodnight 
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Or maybe it's a preconceived notion of a joke?  Goodnight 
    or...from a joke?  You have it all figured out, Fred.  I'm envious.
    Options
    I can't think of a single more damaging category of music in human history this side of whatever is played at cult gatherings than what has sold millions of souls for the devil himself. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I can't think of a single more damaging category of music in human history this side of whatever is played at cult gatherings than what has sold millions of souls for the devil himself. 
    You'll probably disagree with me but Reb Rebel Records and Johnny Rebel were KKK oriented genres. 
    Options
    That said, I'm not a fan of rap in general.  However, there are exceptions.  If someone wrote a catchy rap song about Bedrock being an enclave of ignorant bigots, I'd give it a chance.
    Options
    Ive traveled to many states. I live in Florida, just seems that the further north you go there seems to be no racial issues.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like rap.  Outkast, Tupac, Biggie Smalls, the old school classic rap.

I also like Blue Scholars and some of the newer west coast "social commentary" rap groups.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I'm with @Ozzie_Isaac , and I thought Straight Outta Compton was outstanding.

Fred probably thought the po-lice were the victims...
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Rap music has changed a lot since "the good days". I guess I can say that now that I'm older right? 

The rap Era where Tupac, Biggie Smalls, Easy E, Ice Cube, NWA, and Wu Tang Clan is gone and will never be the same. That was good rap music and I still love it! I keep Sirius XM in my cars so I can listen to Backspin XL. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I think it is all east coast vs west coast. Coolio and Snoop Dog. I really like Snoop Dog and Willy Nelson's last effort.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I've got diverse tastes.  Lately my favorite station on Pandora is Moonshine Bandits,  but depending on the day I might be listening to anything from AC/DC to Frank Sinatra. 

Phoenix 
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I wore out Dre's The Chronic albumn many years ago, cassette of course. I still listen occasionally to rap and hip hop from around 1990-1997 to take me back to the good old days of my youth.  Good times for sure. @MaC122 "so what's, what's the scenario" is always in that playlist.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Eminem, Cube, DMX, Pac, Dre, Busta Rhymes, and a few others will get played in the truck every once in a blue moon. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Music is like candy..........First thing you do is throw out the rapper.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I literally listen to every type of music. Just depends what kind of mood I'm in. I've been to every type of concert too. You old guys sound like your parents talking when you were listening to Elvis and The Stones. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I listen to virtually every genre. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    "We are not against rap. We are not against rappers. But we are against those thugs"

My grandparents didn't like Elvis. My parents didn't like Guns N Roses, I'm sure if my children start embracing music I'll dislike something they enjoy.  Nature of the beast. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    That said, I'm not a fan of rap in general.  However, there are exceptions.  If someone wrote a catchy rap song about Bedrock being an enclave of ignorant bigots, I'd give it a chance.
    lol

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Blackstar is one of the best albums I've ever heard, of any genre 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Good lord people.  

Public Enemy
    Too Short
    DJ Quik
    2 Pac
    Tribe Called Quest
    Eric B. and Rakim
    EPMD
    Big Daddy Kane
    Wu-Tang
    O.D.B. (RIP)
    Biggie
    Jay Z

You're selling yourselves short if as a lover of music you haven't listened/enjoyed these sounds and lyrics. 
    I guess it's generational, but I'm 41 and having N.W.A., 2Live and others dropped on me in Junior High was very impressionable. 

2LIVE CREW was awesome.
    What do we get for $10?

• WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Good lord people.  

Public Enemy
    Too Short
    DJ Quik
    2 Pac
    Tribe Called Quest
    Eric B. and Rakim
    EPMD
    Big Daddy Kane
    Wu-Tang
    O.D.B. (RIP)
    Biggie
    Jay Z

You're selling yourselves short if as a lover of music you haven't listened/enjoyed these sounds and lyrics. 
    I guess it's generational, but I'm 41 and having N.W.A., 2Live and others dropped on me in Junior High was very impressionable. 
    That lineup...plus the Master's logo as your image....I'd vote for you to be president!! Outstanding!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    So I'm an ignerint bigot?  Only you can take a simple joke as a basis to make a lecture on musical genre tolerance.

Flint, Michigan
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I just love music.  There are a few rap artists I can handle......Beasties, The Roots, De La Soul.  Music is one of those things that knows no barriers and can span all cultural divides.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA