Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Other expensive hobbies

Options

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options

Please buy more charcoal.  =)
    I am doing what I can to help! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Drinking too much and liver transplants. (Potential future hobby)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    No one ever accused book collecting of being about one's manhood. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw I've got a crapload of old books from wife's great grandparents house.  How do I know info have anything of value?  Any decent websites?
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I would have to say guns and ammo and photography would be my expensive hobbies.
    cant really say my salt water set up yet as it is still a work in progress, but would still say I have more in guns and ammo then any other hobby.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Woodworking, guns & shooting
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Well - at age 40 (some 31 years ago) I finally tripped the trigger and decided to return to my love of wood working. Since a guy can spend a bunch on tools - both hand tools and powerful stationary machines - I mapped out a plan to span it over several years of expenditures so as to buy quality and not cheap sh*t. My goal was to have a nice shop I would be drawn to spending time in after I retired since I wasn't a golfer or a traveler. Here I am at 71 and I'm happy with what my shop has equipment wise, but I have one word or two of suggestion. There are hobbies and there are collectors. The former such as me means your estate might get 10 cents on the dollar spent when the grim reaper comes to collect, but collectors such as @stike will be the ultimate winners.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Damn does that Lightning strike off the line!   AWESOME!  Always had a soft spot for the Lightning.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Randall_Lee
    Randall_Lee Posts: 158
    Options
    Fishing, cooking, photography and now that the wife has joined me in retirement traveling.
    Niceville, Fl
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I have friends with expensive hobbies, I draft off of them - boats, fishing cabins, hunting property, etc.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Legume said:
    @Darby_Crenshaw I've got a crapload of old books from wife's great grandparents house.  How do I know info have anything of value?  Any decent websites?
    99.9999% of all books are worthless, but you can check vialibri.net for comparable listings.  sort by highest-price-to-lowest (to weed out the cheap crap and see what's really valuable), and check the "no 'print-on-demand'" option ) removes scanned books that are printed on demand)

helps to know if they are first editions, or otherwise rare (for some other reason)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    After @Sea2Ski spent $36,000 on "scheduled maintenance", mebbe I can't play on this thread...   :s
    In a poorer neighborhood, here's my problems:
    Photography: digital has removed the film/developing costs, my 7' carbon-fiber tripod is paid for (as is my Nikon Df), and I'm about to pull the trigger on a used Nikkor 500 f/4, then I'm done.
    Music:  I own at least six $2K synthesizers (all replaceable by $2 apps now) but they've paid for themselves, with a lot of weekend gigs.  Done here.
    Motorcycles: Still pricey but bang/buck still off the charts!  
    Woodworking: Still don't have a lathe/accessories but I have no room for one; done here too (and hope this becomes my "retirement income" in 4 years...)
    The Saab:  just dropped $4K worth of trannie into Her; I'd better get 3~4 more years out of her and I'll be happy.  Then Done here, too.  

Because of the extreme inversion/pollution now here every winter in utard, I may be buying a "winter cabin" in AZ soon, but I've got 4 years to go to retirement so can probably swing that.  We'll see...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I have Curbed my photography bad habit.   Spent a fortune on Canon 'L' glass and '1' series bodies, both film and digital.    Currently have a very portable mirror less and just a few lenses.

I have yet to come to grips with my STEREO habit.   Large panel speakers, 1 stereo amp PER speaker, separate pre and dac.   And than you have to buy media.   Movies cost a bundle, too.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Nothing like nice solid turd.  Sunny day after a good grumper.  Throw a fat baby arm down that thing clean and I'm dancing. Mud butt makes me frown. Unhappy with poorly formed excrement. Leads to monkey butt. Who wants monkey butt? Not me, no sir. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lots of Coke. How else am I supposed to stay awake for a 20 hour cook.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Begger said:
    I have yet to come to grips with my STEREO habit.   Large panel speakers, 1 stereo amp PER speaker, separate pre and dac.   And than you have to buy media.   Movies cost a bundle, too.
    I forgot that one.  I feel my current system will last me the rest of my life, but yeah the SACD/Bluray 5.1 new releases nibble away at the wallet.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Legume said:
    99.9999% of all books are worthless, but you can check vialibri.net for comparable listings.  sort by highest-price-to-lowest (to weed out the cheap crap and see what's really valuable), and check the "no 'print-on-demand'" option ) removes scanned books that are printed on demand)

helps to know if they are first editions, or otherwise rare (for some other reason)

Well, there's another website that I will spend hours on. Thanks, @Darby_Crenshaw. I think.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Snow skiing, boating, water skiing, and woodworking. I also dabble in guitars.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited March 2016
    Options
    henapple said:
    Marriage  :o
    Unc, if you think that is expensive, try divorce. You will see just how cheap marriage suddenly seems ;)

@Darby_Crenshaw
    Not trying to be stupid here, but what is the difference in a book and a binding? I tried googling it but didn't really understand what came up. I walked away thinking old book, but I'm sure that is not correct judging from what you said above. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @henapple beat me to it, but marriage has been the most expensive thing I have ever done. 

She wanted the bigger house and then the top of the line pool, etc. I was content at the other house that was paid for. 

Of course private school for two isn't cheap either. Not complaining just pointing it out. 

I do have a country club membership, but I never play anymore. That is for my son. 

Most guys I know would be happy living in a large shop with a bedroom.  No question marriage is the most expensive hobby.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    what other expensive hobbies are you into? 
    Guns.
    Ammo.
    Gun parts. 
    Gun accessories.
    Reloading and components. 
    Smokers/cookers (wood fired)
    Crossbows. I have less than 10 grand invested in crossbows so I guess that they don't really count. Just a minor hobby. But I do enjoy them nonetheless.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Have a chopper....can't take the rake anymore...new frame, suspension, wheels-tires, tin...guns...my 69 Dart, 64 Fairlane 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Beside the egg, photography, guns and bicycles, we have purchased two recumbent  trikes. The trikes and the mini are a tight fit in the MDX so a truck is in our future. 

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Have a large woodworking shop/man cave, and love to golf also!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm brewing two 5 gallon batches of beer right now.  One is pitched, the other boiling.  Actually, the boil is done in about a minute.  Need to throw in more hops and turn off the burner.
    Options
    Sports, model building, electronics when I was a kid.  The partying, bands, boating, bicycles, hipster life in my 20s and 30s in New Orleans.  I was heavily into RC cars, boats, planes, helicopters late 30s. 

I always had a shop, built stuff.  Built a dream shop from the ground up in 2006.  Practical stuff - fine woodworking, metal working. 

Always bought and sold cars, just to drive different stuff.   Haven't had motorcycles since college.   Now I have 2 scooters, four motorcycles (one is a steampunk project bike), one project Ruckus, truck, sports car, two boats.  I think I'm done there.  Fun to ride, and I love to fix and maintain my stuff.  Been a grease monkey since I was 17.

Cooking has been a hobby for the last 15 years.  Used to cook professionally in college.  I've resurrected my beer making, which has been on and off again for years, just to have home brew for dinner parties and guests mostly.  

Reading fiction - I've slacked off lately, but I've read a lot in my life.  Used to collect, but my collection got flooded.  Fk it.

Sadly, sports and Sci Fi. 

Oh, and meat preservation, sausage making, sous vide, smoking, grilling, and eating.
    Options
    Have a large woodworking shop/man cave, and love to golf also!
    Pictures of your "large woodworking shop" please!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Duck hunting 
  • ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    Photography, Guns and ammo
    XLBGE, Egging in NH