Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A brief howdy and a few pics

Birnando
Birnando Posts: 6
edited March 2016 in EggHead Forum
Hey all.
I'm a barbecue enthusiast and food lover from Oslo,Norway.

Just the other day I received my large BGE and some accessories.
Having waited for a long time, I was very eager to finally get it set up in a table I built the night before it arrived.

And wouldn't you know it, the speditor had thrown it up on some other goods in the back of the van, laying it sideways to boot.

As was to be expected, the top, bottom and cast iron grid was all broken when I opened the box.
Well, I was not gonna let that ruin my easter-break, so I got in touch with the store and told them my mind in quite clear and consise terms.
Long story short, one hour later I was at the warehouse getting a replacement one that I unpacked right there and put the parts in my own car.
Drove home like I had Miss Daisy in the back, and now our first meal has been cooked in my new egg.

Anyways, here's a couple shots of the broken one and of my rig doing the deed:)

Happy to be here and hope contribute positively to this fine community.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,796
    Welcome aboard.

Very nice table.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• rblarrcpa
    rblarrcpa Posts: 67
    Welcome!!  Nice set-up.   Enjoy the Egg and this crazy forum.
    XL & MiniMax
    “The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”
    Red Bank, NJ
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Welcome aboard!  Way to bounce back, can't wait to see some cooks.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Welcome.  My first egg had the same symptoms.  My dealer took great care of me as well. 

Now that you're up and running, make sure to post plenty of cooks and ,remember, pics or it didn't happen
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Welcome to our friendly cult.  For the upcoming months, you will be one of the few here than can low and slow a brisket all in daylight.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Glad to hear things worked out okay. Welcome and enjoy the journey. I was born and raised in a small corner of western Wisconsin where it was mostly all Polish, German and Norwegian folk. What a great place in which to grow up. My parents were Polish and owned a small seasonal drive-in restaurant. In the winter time it was closed so they decided to use the space to make Lefse for sale in our grocery store. I remember working with the ladies my mom had working for her and peeling big pots of steaming boiled potatoes. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    That's a tough start.  Glad you got it straighten out.  Welcome aboard the crazy train!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Welcome! Can't wait to see some Norwegian BBQ!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • EastTNBGE
    EastTNBGE Posts: 74
    Welcome.  Nice looking table.

East TN- Large BGE, Cyber Q, Kick-Ash-Basket, Smokeware Cap, Anova Sous Vide, Pizza Stones

#BBN

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

Welcome to the herd.

Wow Oslo Norway. So what proteins do you normally cook?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I'm glad things worked out for you.  Sucks it arrived like that.  Would have been devastating!!  You will sure have some fun.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Welcome. Looking forward to seeing some cooks. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Glad all was made right for you.
    And one observation-in addition to the paver I would air-gap your BGE base off the paver.  Extra fire protection that prior postings indicate is a good move. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Welcome aboard!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Welcome! Nice setup you've got there. Looks like that table needs a bottle opener though.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Welcome....nothing but good times, great food and wallet busting opportunities await you!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2016
    Welcome. Interested to see what you cook there in Oslo. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Welcome. Setup looks great!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Welcome, great looking table. Glad you got everything worked out.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Welcome to the forum!  Looking forward to some Scandinavian treats.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Howdy

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Hotch said:Wow Oslo Norway. So what proteins do you normally cook?
    Im really hoping that he says musk ox =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Birnando
    Welcome my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Birnando
    edited March 2016
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Glad all was made right for you.
    And one observation-in addition to the paver I would air-gap your BGE base off the paver.  Extra fire protection that prior postings indicate is a good move. FWIW-

I will do that, thanks for the tip.
  • Birnando
    SGH said:
    Hotch said:Wow Oslo Norway. So what proteins do you normally cook?
    Im really hoping that he says musk ox =)
    I'm afraid musk ox is not permitted up here.
    Our protein sources are pretty much the same as yours.
    There are some diffs in how the animals are cut, but that's about it.

During spring I will do whale on the egg, and also halved sheep's heads.
    I reckon the first is a bit un-pc, but hey, we've done it for milleniums, not gonna stop just cause some Hollywood nut-head finds it sad :)

Other than that, elk, rein-deer, deer and various birds that are hunted up here sure is on the menu.
    That said, that lovely creature that provides us all with bacon is still number one in my book!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    WELCOME to the forum -- I'm sure you will love your Big Green Egg!

I've never been to Norway, but have always loved seeing photographs -- an amazingly beautiful country!

And I've often thought of visiting just to be able to see some of Edvard Munch's works in person.  I'm not a huge art guy, but several decades ago I saw a film about him and for some reason just loved his work.  I have 4 or 5 books about him and his work and would love to see his paintings in person and not just reproductions in a book.

The elk sounds wonderful, but I'm afraid I'm going to pass on the sheep's head, though...  ;)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,796
    I'm thinking you should have gotten a XXL if you're planning on cooking a whale.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX