Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to move your egg

Options
buying a new house in a few weeks so starting to get a few things ready to go.  In preparation of moving id like to know some of your thoughts on how to move the LBGE.  It is in the original nest it came with.  Should i breakdown the egg by removing lid and bands to transport or try and move as one unit out of the nest?  what are your thoughts and thank you?!

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I'd take it out of the nest and then remove the internals for transport. Leave the lid attached.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    How far are you moving?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    Only about 15 mins away from current location to a single family home
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Are you moving yourself?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I have seen people place the egg in a pickup fully assembled and tie the nest legs to each corner of the truck bed which locks it in all directions. I think you attach the straps where the nest legs and egg holder legs intersect. Make sure the tie down straps cannot slide down the nest. Then I would do like @Focker and wedge/shim the firebox in four spots to keep it from shifting. It works better than it sounds. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    The past few times I have moved my large, I have kept it in the nest.  Last time i used ratchet straps to secure the nest to the hooks in the enclosed trailer I was borrowing for moving.  I think I had three or four straps total.  It is not the easiest thing to secure.  After seeing some discussion on the forum regarding the nest handler, it sounds like that is the way to go for transport as it secures the egg to the nest.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I moved both of mine last year. I remove the lids, the internal parts and lift the base out of the nest. Then strap the base down in the truck and put everything else in the bed - but I do it this way because I had no help in lifting the eggs and because the potholes in Houston are terrible.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    I'd take it out of the nest and then remove the internals for transport. Leave the lid attached.
    This is how I would move it. Don't remove the top unless you have to, it's a bear to get it all realigned............
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i made a holder for mine but have also broken it down and laid everything flat on cardboard.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/685981/transporting-a-large-egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I would remove the insides and if possible put it in a car. I moved about 10 minutes and it was fine in the moving truck. Another person and you should be able to lift it, but you can always get one of the pot lifters too.
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    When we vacated our house for renovations last year, we loaded it up in the nest into the back of our minivan.  Laid it on its side, padded it on all sides, and had someone in the back with it to keep it steady.  Will be bringing it back home in the next week or so now that our new roof is finally done.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    NE. Metro Atl., Ga.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Always done it myself, even big joe. Take everything out and put in front seat with seat belt. Everything else in trunk or other seats. 
    Austin, Tx
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    One of my small eggs always get buckled into the back seat of my pickup for going camping. The guts are removed, wrapped and stored in the RV in their own container.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I move a large to FL and back from TX on vacation in the bed of a pu. Put cardboard between the ceramics and Egg and between the top and bottom. Never a problem.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RoughLandings
    Options
    I transport my Large several times a year to family gatherings and such. Will be doing it this weekend in fact. I completely disassemble mine so I can manage it myself, load it in the bed of my truck. I set the lid back on and snug up the bands just so the lid doesn't take off on me then I strap it into a corner of the bed. If it is rainy I wrap it in a tarp as well. Works for me. 
    Large BGE
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks for all your tips and suggestions.  Appreciate them all!