Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp tonight...need a marinade

Options
Who has a great shrimp marinade recipe they would like to share?
Lewiston, MN  LBGE

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    ^^^^ this + 1x10^10
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    toss them in olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, and oregano.  grill direct a few minutes each side.  easy, delicious, fast.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Green lightning X 1 million!

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Green lightning!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one i like sometimes.  Little Cajun!

Appetizer, Shrimp, Wings, Richard Fl

Yeh it has been raining here on the East coast of Florida most of the day, No hail. Happy to hear our fellow eggers are safe. ************Was in a mood for some shrimp so started up my wok cooker, A Tao, but BGE and a wok or cast iron pan will do just as well:

1. Lava Hot:

2. Took a stick of butter, handful of fresh sweet basil, and 2 large tablespoons of a cajun seasoning, Old Bay or whatever you like for a crab/shrimp boil.

3. Tossed in 1 1/2 pounds shrimp with shells on:

4. And cooked for 3-5 minutes until just pink.

5. Now I still had most of the butter and seasoning left, so took dozen wings, added 1/2 stick more butter, 1/4 cup soy seasoning and 1/4 cup BBQ sauce several drops of a thai hot sauce and cooked the wings for 15-18 minutes:

6. A great flavor sensation:

7. Just a snack for this evening.

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Poultry, Seafood

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/06/07**

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options

1lb. Jumbo Shrimp,Peeled & Deveined

2TBS  Melted Butter

2 TBS White Wine , Dry or Semi Dry

2 TBS Fresh Lemon Juice

2 Garlic Cloves Minced

1 tsp Salt

1/2 tsp freshly ground Pepper

Combine all ingredients & let stand at least 15 minutes

Grill until shrimp turn pink

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My wife hates cilantro, so Green Lightning is out for me.  Here's one we really love, mostly Sriracha.  I think I only altered it in cooking hotter than she did.

Fiery Asian Shrimp

1 lb. large (16-20 count) Shrimp peeled & deveined 

3 Tbls. hot Chili Sauce (Sriracha hot sauce preferred) 
    3 Tbls. Olive Oil 
    2 teaspoons Asian roasted sesame oil 
    1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt 
    2 teaspoons Sugar 
    4-5 cloves Garlic finely chopped

Garnish:
    3 Tbls. Green Onions chopped 
    Lime wedges 
    Skewers 

Combine chili sauce, olive oil, sesame oil, sea salt, sugar and garlic in a large ziplock bag. Mix together well. Add shrimp and let marinate for 30 minutes to an hour (original recipe said up to 2 hours, but I think they got a bit mushy after around 2h). 

Skewer shrimp and grill on BGE direct at 500° or so for 2-3 minutes per side until shrimp are done. Do not overcook.  (Recipe originally said 350-375° for the same amount of time, but there was no charring at all at around 400.  I liked them better cooked at 500 or more.)

DO NOT FORGET: Plate and sprinkle green onions over shrimp and squeeze lime on shrimp and serve.  (Definitely do this: the lime flavor was really good in this dish, and I think it would have been less wonderful without it.)

Notes: Marinating pineapple chunks also (with just Sriracha), and alternating them with shrimp on skewers, was really good.  I could imagine peppers would be a good addition, too.

Source: Kim Youngblood, 2010 Sunshine State Eggfest

You also might try Steve Raichlen's Gulf Coast Shrimp.
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    Just in case you didn't get the point from some of the earlier posters - Green Lightning Shrimp!

New Brunswick, Canada

• BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    Theophan said:
    My wife hates cilantro, so Green Lightning is out for me.  
    My wife and several family members say the same thing about cilantro but they love Green Lightening Shrimp.  That soapiness gets lost in the mix with this recipe for some reason.   

Try it, and if she doesn't like it you get lots left for yourself.  This dish has never actually resulted in leftovers at my house.

New Brunswick, Canada

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Theophan
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I clicked on your link, and it looks yummy!  I have a question, though: 1/4 cup of basil leaves is in the ingredients, but not mentioned at all in the directions.  So what do you do with them?  They're listed after the shrimp, which makes me wonder if they're not in the marinade, but maybe chopped and sprinkled on after grilling?  Or do they go in the marinade?

Thanks!

And BigWings said:
    Theophan said:
    My wife hates cilantro, so Green Lightning is out for me.  
    My wife and several family members say the same thing about cilantro but they love Green Lightening Shrimp.  That soapiness gets lost in the mix with this recipe for some reason.
    I love cilantro, but my wife won't even TOUCH it in the store she hates it so much.  If she's buying some for me, she wraps her hand in a plastic bag so her skin never touches the cilantro and she won't wind up smelling it on herself.  I really can't imagine she'd like a dish with the slightest hint of cilantro, and I hate making a wonderful dish only to find that someone I served it to really hates it...  

Maybe sometime I could try two different recipes at once, I guess, but I'm even worried that "cilantro cooties" from grilling in the same BGE might ruin the non-cilantro dish for her.  She really hates cilantro!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Everything that lady posts looks great. I have tried a few of her recipes and they were money. I have been wanting to try the GLS for the longest time but still haven't. I need to give this a try soon. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Theophan said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    I clicked on your link, and it looks yummy!  I have a question, though: 1/4 cup of basil leaves is in the ingredients, but not mentioned at all in the directions.  So what do you do with them?  They're listed after the shrimp, which makes me wonder if they're not in the marinade, but maybe chopped and sprinkled on after grilling?  Or do they go in the marinade?

Thanks!

@TheophanYou know I never noticed the Basil Leaves in the recipe- we dont use them.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I'll just lurk on this thread and save recipes..........keep 'em coming!  =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    green lightning by far my favorite
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    In case you missed the 20 or so responses about it, I'd say green lightning shrimp. Her wing recipe is really good, too. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    This is not a marinade, it supposed to be a glaze.
    It has Chipotle peppers and Tamarind paste. 
    It is really good for Mexican grilled shrimp.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/chipotle-grilled-shrimp-369755

Ingredients

• 2 lbs shrimp ( unpeeled-large)
      • 1/2 cup brown sugar
      • 6 garlic cloves ( minced)
      • 1 chipotle chile in adobo ( canned & minced)
      • 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
      • 2 tablespoons rum
      • 2 tablespoons water
      • 1/4 teaspoon salt
      • 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
      • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

1. Peel shrimp, leaving tails on,devein and thread 4 shrimp on each skewer.
    2. Cook brown sugar in a small saucepan over low heat, add garlic & next 6 ingredients, cook 5 minute or until tamarind paste melts.
    3. Brush shrimp with olive oil , grill (with lid up) over med. high heat (350-400) for 4-6 min or until shrimp turn pink, turning once & basting often with tamarind glaze.

It originally came from Southern Living magazine and I really like it.

• Theophan
    edited March 2016
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Theophan said:
    xfire_ATX said:

Thanks!

@TheophanYou know I never noticed the Basil Leaves in the recipe- we dont use them.
    Fascinating!  I might try it both ways, then.  I love basil, so it sounds good to me.  

I followed an additional link, and found the original recipe and instructions on Oprah.com, and it said to sprinkle the basil over the shrimp before serving, so that answers the question.
  • Shurdaddy
    Shurdaddy Posts: 25
    Options
    I went with the suggestion by @blind99 and it turned out great!  I will give Green Lightning a shot next time.
    Lewiston, MN  LBGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

glad to hear it worked out!

I do them this way shell on or shell off, either way works fine, the shell just gives you a little more safety margin to avoid overcooking.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    Options
    My wife and I tried the Green Lightning Shrimp last night. Made tacos out of them. That recipe is incredible!

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I want to try this shrimp recipe.  Sammy does it with his rum now since he sells rum now. 
    http://www.redrocker.com/news/recipe-sammys-famous-tequila-lime-shrimp-cabo-wabo-vegas

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009