Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dreading tomorrow...

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
We are taking our 14 year Australian Cattle Dog to be put to sleep. Queenies pancreas started to fail few years back. Vet suggested a supplement, about 6 months ago she flat out refused to take it anymore. She has lost a lot of weight despite eating everything we put in front of her. I am already tearing up....I hate having to do this....

Comments

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    I feel for you I had to take my daughters cat into the vet tonight and ended up having to put her to sleep. its not easy to do.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Sorry to hear this man. I have a Blue Heeler that is getting up there in age and her health is starting to decline. I dread the day I have to take her in. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@dougcrann   That's rough.  I'm sorry and all the best with tomorrow.
    Phoenix 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Just remember its always better for the animal to not suffer anymore.  I stuggled with this one a lot in life.   But be there for your pal and enjoy the great memories you have with your dog.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We had to put down a feral cat that lived on our porch for years.  We fed her, treated her, with our neighbors for years.  She got mouth cancer and our neighbors insisted on keeping her alive - they got chemo, steroid shots, etc.   She started staying in our house as she got worse - felt safe there.   It was tough, she was bleeding all the time, teeth falling out, stunk like death.  Finally we convinced our neighbors it was time for her to go, she was miserable, they resisted for a while but finally put her down.  

I could post a picture but I'd probably get banned.
    Options
    And I've gone through many pets that have aged and I feel your pain.
    It's rough but the right thing to do.  We had to put our 17 year old Yorkie down in January, one of the hardest things to do.  He had been such a good dog but was in pain, I felt like doing this for him took his pain away.  It will be a long tough day but you'll get through it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    God Bless you and your family today as you go through what is a tough time. After all they are part of the family.. In my thoughts today my friend..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I am sincerely sorry. Our beloved pets have always been integral members of our family fabric so I know your pain.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Had to put mine down a year or so ago. One of hardest things I have had to do. She was a great dog. Feel for you 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sorry for you brother, truly.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I had to put my Golden down a couple years ago, I can't say I know your pain, I can relate though. I have not had the heart to replace her. 
    Remember the good times, be strong. She was a wonderful friend and protector for you, and although this is very hard to do, you are being a wonderful friend and protector for her.
    My best to you and your family, during this most difficult time.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2016
    Options
    As an animal lover....who has been there 3 times, I understand the pain and sense of loss you feel. All the best to you and fam during this difficult time.

When the time is right, puppy chow breath/kisses are the best!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    It is certainly a hard task to do because as others have said, they are part of the family, only they always give unconditional love. I am sure you treated her very well every single day. Though it may feel different, today is no different.  It is the ultimate act of selfless love and caring; so in a sense you are giving back to them what they gave to you all through their life.  Find peace in that.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    been there a few times, it sucks. last time i had a pup on order from a future litter within a week. i dont like not having a dog under my feet, and i dont like puppys, 4 years in with this one and he is finally fitting in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's a tough thing.  I'm so very sorry to hear that - there are quite a few people I'd rather see leave this earth before a good dog. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    It's hard, but take peace in that you are giving your friend some peace and stopping their suffering. It's a more dignified way to go than to suffer and be in pain. Think of the good times, friend.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Sorry to hear of your looming loss.

I had to put down my German Shepard Dog 10 years ago due to being all cancered up. It was the worst day of my life. I came to realize it was the kindest most loving thing I could do. After all the great joy, happiness, care and love she gave me I let her go with the dignity she deserved. Lacey's ashes are on the mantle. 

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear this, it's always tough to lose a pet.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

So sorry for your loss, we had to put down two of our dogs within about a year of each other. Awful, but they lived great lives with us...both rescues who got a good deal when they came to live with us, or at least that is what I tell myself.

We have three ceramic boxes on our fireplace ledge, they hold the ashes of 7 total pets. It is real painful but I would not have it any other way. What they give us is far more than we give them so we owe it to them to make that hard decision for them and let them go in piece. Take care buddy, you are in my thoughts.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    sorry man. lots of good comments above. always hard, there's a reason dogs are a mans best friend :-) 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @dougcrann some like me have found some comfort in the Rainbow Bridge story...
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. 
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....Author unknown...
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    So sorry to hear this.

We give then everything yet they wind up giving us so much more.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    There are times when our hearts are challenged to love enough to let go-such love is painful.  May you find comfort and strength in your memories and in knowing you gave your dog the gift of love throughout life--and death.
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Sitting here looking at the boxes that contain the ashes of Fred, Max, Blue and Red. Eyes are tearing up and my heart hurts. Momma, aka Queenie is laying between us. Every morning when we wake up she is sleeping near one of us. Seems like only yesterday she was a high energy, psychotic young demon. Ernestina bought her a big stuffed horse. At first Momma just stared at it. Few days went by and she slept on it...few more days...humping time. Not just your normal humping...she would start at one end and hump like a mad woman...growling at it. When she reached the other end, she would just turn and do it again. Was all fun and games til Max, another Cattle Dog grabbed ahold of Queenie, bent her in half and hummed her thru the house...Max actually pushed Queenie from one end of the house to the other...had her pinned against a closed bedroom door, humping like a madman. To this day I can still hear the door rattling...