Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a new good tasting hot sauce

Options
MaC122
MaC122 Posts: 797
I'm not looking for stuff that will kill you or make your bum hurt for 3 days. Here is what I think is hot and not hot.

1. Tabasco = baby formula with a decent taste
2. Tabasco Habanero= great heat but not that great of a taste
3. Dave Insanity= way to much heat. not even enjoyable
4. Sirachi= ok...tingles the tongue but tastes good
5. Trinidad xhot= awesome taste with great heat

Since everyone has their own heat preference I hope this small chart helps. I had this one sauce at firehouse subs call North Carolina hot sauce, cant find it anywhere. It was amazing and it had a label 9 as the 1 out of 10 heat source. I have figured out that I like a sauce that has the consistency of Tabasco. Thanks for the help!
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Ever think about mixing the above Habanero and Sriracha?   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I really like the Tabasco Chipotle.  It is not that hot but I think the flavor is excellent.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I could drink Frank's Red Hot out of the bottle but I don't think it will be spicy enough for you...

Options
    IMHO the best hot sauce is Secret Aardvark, but it's made here in the PNW and not available everywhere.  It is habanero, so it has some heat, but the first ingredient is roasted tomatoes, so the heat is not much and the tomatoes add a nice sweetness.  Could probably find it on Amazon.
    http://secretaardvark.com/

Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • MaC122
    Options
    no...none of those. Sorry guys. Don't mean to offend you but Ive burnt out my taste buds now at this point now, need more heat with flavor. Thanks though!
  • MaC122
    Options
    This bland red sauce sucks! But did you know they make an xhot? It's really good
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Taoatio is decent 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • MaC122
    Options
    IMHO the best hot sauce is Secret Aardvark, but it's made here in the PNW and not available everywhere.  It is habanero, so it has some heat, but the first ingredient is roasted tomatoes, so the heat is not much and the tomatoes add a nice sweetness.  Could probably find it on Amazon.

That's what I'm talking about. That stuff is great and I can't recommend it enough
  • MaC122
    Options
    Here it is. Found my hidden stash
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    My brother's friend started making and selling this -   http://hotmaple.com/  it's good, unique.

Might help if you said what kind of flavor profile you like - Asian styles, Mexican style, BBQ-hot, etc.

• MaC122
    edited March 2016
    Options

Might help if you said what kind of flavor profile you like - Asian styles, Mexican style, BBQ-hot, etc.

ill put hot sauce on ice cream. Just want a just tolerable heat with out going over the edge and a good flavor Thanks for the link!
  • MaC122
    Options
    Here's another for heat fans. Probably the best heat/flavor combo I've ever had
  • ChillyWillis
    Options

I agree 100%. Secret Aardvark is the best hot sauce I've ever had, and there isn't even a close second. I first tried it when I lived in Portland OR, but since I've moved back east I get it through the mail 6 bottles at a time (yeah, I like the stuff). Folks outside of the Pacific northwest can order it via Amazon. I highly recommend you do. 

Other fantastic hot sauses are El Yucateco (green), and Hula Girl chipotle habanero. 

• MaC122
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @ChillyWillis Dont you fell yourself getting used to the heat as if its not enough? You need something hotter?
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yep, I sure do. Ive always had a high tolerance for heat though. When I was a little kid my best friends father was from India. He would put chili peppers in our scrambled eggs in the morning and making us spicier and spicier curries in order to build up our tolerance to heat. By the time I was in the 5th grade I was knocking back Dixie cups full of Tabasco sauce in the lunch room for a dare. Safe to say I love the burn!

That being said, the 3 sauces I recommended are all somewhere inbetween a 5 and a 7 on a scale of 1-10. They're all hot, but not so hot that you can't taste the awesome favors going on. 

Edit: That Trinidad habanero sauce is great stuff as well. The bar we go to for brunch on the weekends carries it in their hot sauce racks. It's my goto for breakfast tacos. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I used to love heat.  Cooked with fresh habaneros. But now my preference is not so much.  My mouth and stomach can take far more heat than the rest of the digestive track, but the misery of the afterburn just ain't worth it to me anymore.

I still like fire, I just need to watch the volume of heat and temper it with other foods so I don't pay the price.

Anyway, to answer the OP question, maybe instead of looking for a pre-made bottle of that perfect sauce, you should look at creating your own. There shouldn't be anything you can't do with a blender.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Have you tried Scotch Bonnet  sauces? The two on the right have great favor.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cholula is my fave
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Melinda's Naga Jolokia is my go-to super hot sauce.  Ghost peppers.

I like habanero sauces for the flavor.
    Options
    And now for something completely different.  https://dichickos.com/  Extra Hot is as far as I can go, and only in small doses.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MaC122
    Options
    And now for something completely different.  https://dichickos.com/  Extra Hot is as far as I can go, and only in small doses.

bad link?
  • MaC122
    Options
    Melinda's Naga Jolokia is my go-to super hot sauce.  Ghost peppers.

I like habanero sauces for the flavor.
    just ordered it
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Walkerwood is good stuff.  Simple every day all can handle, Cholula.  Great on eggs, mexican, bloody mary etc.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • MaC122
    Options
    I need hot people! But not stupid hot. I need to make my own
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    Look up Rincon Heat, just right heat and excellent on seafood! Their new mango chipotle flavor is awesome! I found it at Guanabanas restaurant in Jupiter FL and ordered it online when I got back home. 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    I need hot people! But not stupid hot. I need to make my own
    Follow @nolaegghead's suggestion and go with Melinda's. Start with regular hot. If that is too mild you can go to XX, XXX, XXXX, Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Red Savina, Naga Jolokia, Ghost, or Scorpion. Something in there has to be right for you.
  • MaC122
    Options
    secret aardvark is amazing.  You have to get it because it has an amazing taste and it has a good heat. Sadly, my tongue no longer thinks it's hot enough.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I really liked "Pain is good" hot sauce especially for my wings!!!! 

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    This is my everyday go to... Tons of flavor. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    pique is my favorite style sauce for rice, you can make it as hot as you want, its a vinegar hot sauce
    Pique - Puerto Rican Hot Sauce

this ones crying tiger, i would add scotch bonnets to this as well, its a full flavor type sauce. killer on eggs

6 thai chilis
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup fish sauce
    3 cloves garlic
    16 cherry tomatoes
    1/3 cup lime juice
    4 tbls sugar
    2 tabls pakak hot curry
    bunch of chopped green onions

DSC_0072jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it