Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezer Open

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
Hectic day today. Put items in beer fridge freezer at 1pm then went out of town for work. Wife got home and saw it at 9pm. She said the door wasn't cracked.. all the way open. I am not there, but she said everything is soft. Assume it is bad now. 10lbs of cured bacon, chicken, pork butts, shrimp, etc. Lets hear it @Darby_Crenshaw
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If Darby tells you the truth, I will refute it with a lie ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Options
    SGH said:
    If Darby tells you the truth, I will refute it with a lie ;)
    How about the truth? Toss it or risk it
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I think the bacon is ok since cured, the rest, what a pisser!  I look forward to the truths and lies from two informed brothers.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Sounds like a good time for a huge cookout!  I'll go ahead and invite myself.  ;)
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    If soft and cold I'd close the door and let it re freeze. I hate wasting anything. 
  • SGH
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Chubbs
    I know that it's just one man talking here, and a uneducated man at that, but if I'm seeing the hours right, there is no way that the food was above 45 degrees in that short amount of time. Heck it would be hard pressed to go from frozen to above 45 if it was sitting on the counter. Now I am assuming that everything was initially frozen and that the freezer was still working. If that's the case, I would refreeze it and not give it a second thought. 5 hours sitting in a working freezer with the door open didn't hurt a thing. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Sounds like a good time for a huge cookout!  I'll go ahead and invite myself.  ;)
    Head on over. I am in ATL until Wednesday. Wife is not thrilled so beware!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I would like to see a picture of what that freezer looks like. Regardless, I would find it difficult to believe it was all soft if packed together in only 8 hours. I would personally keep it all and eat it. The only exception, maybe, is what was on the door since it was wide open.  Those items I would put in the fridge and cook asap and eat - probably, unless very small and not much volume. 

But that is me....  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Chubbs
    I know that it's just one man talking here, and a uneducated man at that, but if I'm seeing the hours right, there is no way that the food was above 45 degrees in that short amount of time. Heck it would be hard pressed to go from frozen to above 45 if it was sitting on the counter. Now I am assuming that everything was initially frozen and that the freezer was still working. If that's the case, I would refreeze itand not give it a second thought. 5 hours sitting in a working freezer with the door open didn't hurt a thing. 
    And the lier has spoken, but makes a lot of sense.  Brother Crenshaw should agree.  For completeness sake, stick your themapen into a couple smaller cuts, could prove reassuring.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    SGH said:
    @Chubbs
    I know that it's just one man talking here, and a uneducated man at that, but if I'm seeing the hours right, there is no way that the food was above 45 degrees in that short amount of time. Heck it would be hard pressed to go from frozen to above 45 if it was sitting on the counter. Now I am assuming that everything was initially frozen and that the freezer was still working. If that's the case, I would refreeze itand not give it a second thought. 5 hours sitting in a working freezer with the door open didn't hurt a thing. 
    And the lier has spoken, but makes a lot of sense.  Brother Crenshaw should agree.  For completeness sake, stick your themapen into a couple smaller cuts, could prove reassuring.
    I told her to use my thermapen. I am out of tone for work. She didn't report back. Just sent a smartass text and went to bed :lol: 
  • SGH
    Options
    @Chubbs
    Im willing to bet you a dollar against a dog biscuit that everything is fine. The only thing that I would eye close is the shrimp.  Short of that, it's all good. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    bgebrent said:
    SGH said:
    @Chubbs
    I told her to use my thermapen. I am out of tone for work. She didn't report back. Just sent a smartass text and went to bed :lol: 
    I bet it's all good, not like it was a hot day in 
    Topeka and the door was wide open.  A lot of cold mass in there maintaining the cooler.  But I'm just a basketball wanna be hack.  I wouldn't throw out the meat.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I would like to see a picture of what that freezer looks like. Regardless, I would find it difficult to believe it was all soft if packed together in only 8 hours. I would personally keep it all and eat it. The only exception, maybe, is what was on the door since it was wide open.  Those items I would put in the fridge and cook asap and eat - probably, unless very small and not much volume. 

But that is me....  
    Thanks. My thoughts too
  • Chubbs
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Chubbs
    Im willing to bet you a dollar against a dog biscuit that everything is fine. The only thing that I would eye close is the shrimp.  Short of that, it's all good. 
    Thanks sir. I was thinking same thing on shrimp. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cured stuff is fine likely. rest? Put in the fridge and cross your fingers, except the shrimp. Cook that tonight

perhaps a bit optimistic. But the cured stuff is fine. You don't need to refrigerate cured stuff anyway. We do so that it won't dry out and so that it maintains peak freshness. But (outside the package) a ham can hang from your ceiling for a year or so and still be safe. 

My mom (and i know fishless's mom) used to take out a roast out of the freezer and leave it on the counter and then we'd all go to school and work.

When i got home at 3 or so from elementary school there'd be a note telling me to put it in the oven at four pm, at 325 with some garlic salt and pepper

we'd eat at five or so

i only had one brother and two sisters die from food poisoning, but dad said if they died, it was only so that the bloodline would be stronger. 

Only reason i would 't refreeze is because of the cell damage in refreezing previously frozen meat, but you certainly can. Just won't be perfect. (not the shrimp though, it'll be too mushy the next time it thaws). 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    Options
    Cured stuff is fine likely. rest? Put in the fridge and cross your fingers, except the shrimp. Cook that tonight

perhaps a bit optimistic. But the cured stuff is fine. You don't need to refrigerate cured stuff anyway. We do so that it won't dry out and so that it maintains peak freshness. But (outside the package) a ham can hang from your ceiling for a year or so and still be safe. 

My mom (and i know fishless's mom) used to take out a roast out of the freezer and leave it on the counter and then we'd all go to school and work.

When i got home at 3 or so from elementary school there'd be a note telling me to put it in the oven at four pm, at 325 with some garlic salt and pepper

we'd eat at five or so

i only had one brother and two sisters die from food poisoning, but dad said if they died, it was only so that the bloodline would be stronger. 

Only reason i would 't refreeze is because of the cell damage in refreezing previously frozen meat, but you certainly can. Just won't be perfect. (not the shrimp though, it'll be too mushy the next time it thaws). 
    Your parents adherence to Darwinism is admirable.  Glad you were of the strong stock brother!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Refreeze that shjt.  
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    In my opinion, it's not much different than putting it in the fridge to thaw. It was a short time. The red and cured meats are likely fine to eat or refreeze.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    dont think you could hurt the bacon or butt with a refreeze, would eat the shrimp and then the chicken. its all packaged stuff, slower to thaw so doubt you broke the 4 hour rule in the freezer with the door open
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited March 2016
    Options
    too late now but here's a trick I learned from Mickey. I keep this small container in the top shelf of my upright freezer that sits in the garage. It is merely water frozen first and then a couple pennies resting on top and topped with more water. In the event power went out or whatever and the pennies are at the bottom then I know there was a problem. This may have been of some help to you as well. Try it - it's cheap!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Coming here for food safe temps is always such an interesting read. Facts VS Opinion....Interesting nonetheless. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Coming here for food safe temps is always such an interesting read. Facts VS Opinion....Interesting nonetheless. 
    in all the years ive been here i have yet to see a post were some egger poisoned himself with their food, some of us play outside the rules, way outside the rules =) makes me wonder what restaurants are doing to poison their customers. i leave cooked stuffed turkey out for days, chili stays stove top til its gone etc. ive experienced food poison, just have not poisoned myself yet =)
    fukahwee maine

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @RRP, I have family in Louisiana that do the same.  They take a bottle of water and lay it on it's side in the freezer til frozen.  Once frozen, stand it up.  If the air bubble ever moves to the top of the bottle from the side you know shiznit happened.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    it's facts and opinion, never facts versus opinion.

for it to be "versus" means a person equates the two. but  facts aren't opinions, and opinions aren't facts.  if they seem at odds, it's only because a person can't separate the two.  not our problem if that is the case.

facts? we have no facts here.  other than that the freezer was left open.  in support of that, i'd offer only an opinion: i would have no problems understanding facts if this were in my basement freezer, but it isn't.

so, i gave my opinion re my situation.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I wouldn't toss any of that stuff. I agree that the shrimp should be eaten today though
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I would be poking it all with my Thermapen.  We have a no frills fridge we use for my hobby. Bought a 20 pound whole top round, was in there waiting for me to cut it up. Had a 16 pound belly in there as well. Belly was done curing, took it out and Ithe was slimey. Cut open the top round, was a bit off in color. Tossed the belly into the feed across the road but saved the beef. Other than being a bit off in color it was ok. Damn fridge was one hash tag from full cold, when I previously checked it the temperature was 36*. That day it was 49*. Turned it full cold...damn it, just realized I never bought a thermometer for it...apologies for rambling...
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    RRP said:
    too late now but here's a trick I learned from Mickey. I keep this small container in the top shelf of my upright freezer that sits in the garage. It is merely water frozen first and then a couple pennies resting on top and topped with more water. In the event power went out or whatever and the pennies are at the bottom then I know there was a problem. This may have been of some help to you as well. Try it - it's cheap!

Brillant...will be stealing this...
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:

finding ice cream in the crisper drawer works well too =) i use the penny trick too
    fukahwee maine

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw Although I can appreciate your sarcasm. I can assure you I'm a grammar Nazi and your comment made me laugh. Try changing out a mix transfer pump and commenting simultaneously (it doesn't work). Also I just noticed my text to speak after my HTC software update is squirrely at best.  My emails, texts...all gone!  SMH. My comment was not directed toward you nor anyone else. But, "defrosted" food product shouldn't be refrozen. Cured meat doesn't need refrigeration to begin with...I agree with that. Seafood (shrimp) is a loss unless it didn't get warm and it can be used that day. And FWIW you actually had a intellectual opinion. Hell of a lot better than...screw it! Shut the door and let it refreeze. :peace: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    the general prohibition against refreezing isn't a safety issue unless it is being done multiple times and the time during which it is defrosted is considered against the whole "four hours between 40 and 140" thing.

the general idea not to refreeze is about quality, and cell damage from freezing twice.

it's two  separate issues, and unfortunately the recommendation to preserve quality (by not refreezing if you don't have to) has been confused with that regarding safety (four hours between 40-140)

which all means if you thawed meat in your fridge, properly, you can refreeze it as many times as you want (why you would need to, i don't know>  that meat can be thawed in your fridge, refrozen, thawed in the fridge again, refrozen....   at a certain point it's become a bag of water, after all the cell damage from the way things freeze in a home fridge (large crystals, slow freezing)

but if you thaw that meat improperly (like my mom's 1970s-80s roast beef method), on the counter.... well, not a good idea to refreeze.  because you'd probably thaw it the same way again, on the counter top , and add the number of hours it spent twixt 40/140 to those of the previous thawing