Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip last night

Options
I keep forgetting about this wonderful cut of meat.  the supermarkets around me do not sell it so when we go to Trader Joe's we usually look for it.

Made a Santa Maria style rub and roasted one on the egg at 250-300 for ~1 hour (130 internal) then cranked the egg up and seared the meat on the spider for a few minutes per side. 

Just awesome flavor and cooked perfectly - (Sorry no pics)  I cant get an expensive steak to come out this good but these are pretty fool proof to cook.

I have looked at Restaurant depot for them but they are huge. If we were having a party I would definitely pick one up but can I guess I could also get one and cut it up and vacu-seal portions of it for cooking at another time.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    "Restaurant depot" tri tip and no bigger. Last time I bought them there were more than 1 per cryo pack, and more trimming was required. But they freeze great if you have a foodsaver.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    if you cut them, cut them the long way into long strips, they cook the same cut that way
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Agree on the Tri-Tip, an unsung hero in my opinion in the steak category. Our butcher has them regularly, already marinated and they are awesome!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • morrobayrich
    Options
    Trimmed tri-tip weigh ~2.5 lbs.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Good point the Restaurant Depot's must have multiple in the cryovac.

Garnerville, NY