Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to BGE

Options
just brought a new L BGE home. I am going to assemble the egg in a table today. 

I've read that I need to keep the temp low for the first few cooks. Is that correct? What would you guys suggest for my first few cooks?

looking forward to some great suggestions 

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Try a spatchcocked chicken (backbone is cut out) or a pork butt.  Both are easy and forgiving.  And yeah, i wouldn't go thermonuclear for a few cooks.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Welcome.. Looking forward to following some of your cooks. I think a good start would be a Spatch **** chicken, Meat loaf,or maybe just some ribs. I think it would be prudent to go with lower temps to start.. Have fun and enjoy your day..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Welcome! 

Lot's of options. Butt, Ribs or Chicken are great first cook and can done under 400.  Lot's of tips on the forum and on-line.  Try out of the search feature on the forum. It's great - slow - but great info. 

And as they say, post pics or the cook didn't happen .
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Don't know the protocol for the temp vs cook deal but many will suggest spatchcock chicken for a good intro cook that showcases what the BGE can bring.  
    Here's a link: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm  BTW his site contains a wealth of ceramic cooking info.  Give it a good look when you get a chance.
    Beyond that-cook something that you weren't quite pleased with on your prior cooker and see if there's a difference.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new egg.  As for initial temps, as I understand it, you just don't want to start off with high temp cooks such as pizza.  Steak, burgers, ribs, whatever you want.  I think the idea is to let the gasket season and set up well for a couple of cooks before pouring the heat to it.  But more importantly, hold on to your wallet, you have just aquired a money pit.  
        Enjoy that egg and welcome to the asylum know as the eggheadforum.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. Fire the egg up and play with the temp before throwing groceries on there. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @henapple is a real spoilsport, but his advise is probably a good approach.  You're going to be gobsmacked (always wanted to use that word) at how small the vent openings will be to control the temp.  Better to figure that out without risking dinner.  My first spatchcocked chicken started out around 300* direct ... and finished somewhere around 450* ... embarrassing! 

Every egg has it's own personality, so if someone says a 1/4" opening will hold their egg at xxx degrees for 24 hours ... don't set your vent to 1/4" opening and expect the same results.  Also, don't get hung up on thinking that you have to adjust both the top and bottom vents to hold temps.  Most folks control temps with the bottom vent ... focus your efforts there.  Quite a few folks simply remove the daisy wheel when cooking over 300*.

Final suggestion ... don't chase temps.  The oven in your kitchen most likely cycles +/- 30* and cooks pretty good.  So, if you're within 25* of your target temp on the egg, call it good.  Your egg will have various temps that it loves to settle in at ... treat the egg like your wife and don't fight the small stuff.

Welcome and enjoy the ride ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Jeepster47 "gobsmacked" I learn more good vocabulary from this site... Your point about each egg having a "personality" is also very true.
    @Jll0004 Take it easy the first few cooks. Buy a thermapen - it will make life so much easier. Enjoy your new egg.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    The hardest part for me was getting accustomed to keeping the damn lid closed.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Smoke a big butt fer a bunch of hours at 250...that'll work!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Welcome
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Welcome this will be a great adventure for you. This forum is going to have an impact on spending.
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    Welcome
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Welcome to the madness.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Welcome.
    Sudbury, Ontario