Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

all this egging has...

Options
egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
gotten my cholesterol up a bit. I'm looking for some heathier dishes and snacks to egg. [p]Anyone remember the potato chip recipe from a while back? I think nature boy, mad max, or woodogies. [p]Warming up the egg as I type....

Comments

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]I grill fish, boneless/skinless chicken breasts, 95% lean burgers, filet minion, and other lower-fat items as a rule. I save my pork butts, ribs, and fatty steaks for special occasions. I've lost 50 lbs on weight watchers as an Egg owner who cooks at least 4 nights a week (usually 6 or 7) on my BGE.[p]Get that cholesterol down!
  • egghead2004
    Options
    CT Grillguy,
    I'm working on it, it isn't too bad now, but it has gone up over the last 2 years, hmmm, I got the egg 2 years ago. Doc wants me to be cautions so I can have those tasty treats every now and then.[p]I love beef tenderloin on the egg, lots of Salmon, pork loin, and veggies. [p]I am going to miss the prime rib, pulled pork, babybacks, chicken wings...damn I love chicken wings. [p]I'm going to take it easy and test again in the fall to see where I stand.

• Unknown
    Options
    egghead2004,
    Is this the one??[p]Potatoes, French Fries, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome

you already know the secret to great fries then my friend. ...per tony bourdain, i par fry mine for about 6 - 8 minutes in 275 degree oil. . .remove for 15 minutes, then fry them in 375 degree oil(and per tony, EXACTLY 375 degrees) for about 300 minutes until crispy and golden brown as well. . . .true 'pomme frites'. ..man, there is just nothing else like them ... .

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Mad Max Beyond Eggdome[p]Source: BGE Forum, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome, 12/29/05

[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    egghead2004,
    my doctor recommended the atkins diet when my cholesterol started to rise. it dropped about 30 points and stayed there. bread and pasta kick it up for me.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Richard,
    So that's how you get the fries crispy!![p]Ahh, no that is not the one. I need to stay away from the frying for a bit, but that does soound good. [p]Someone cut potatoes real thin and grilled them till they were crispy.[p]I can't remember the temp or how long. [p]

• Unknown
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]Let's see if the second time is the charm!![p] Potatoes, Taters, Julie
    [p]Ingredients:
    1 potato per person
    Seasonings (see directions)

Directions:
    1 Slice potatoes crosswise as thinly as you can without getting frustrated. ( I use one of those cheapo plastic mandolines that you see on TV...)
    2 Get out a cookie sheet. Rip off a piece of foil that is just a little more than twice as long as the cookie sheet. Fold it in half and put on the cookie sheet. Fold the top half of the foil back and grease bottom half with olive oil, butter (or your favorite brand of "Looks Like Butter!").
    3 Overlap potato slices in columns, repeating until the potatoes are gone or the cookie sheet is full.
    4 Drizzle or brush olive oil or 'butter', or grill sauce* on the potatoes. Top with your favorite spice blend, herbs from your garden (or grocery store) and/or some Parmesan (cheddar or whatever) cheese & salt, and fresh ground pepper. PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD Try all your favorite sauces, herbs and/or spices. Fold foil back over potatoes and then fold edges securely over & over each other to form a seal.
    5 When the fire is ready, slide the package off of the cookie sheet onto the grill. Cook until potatoes are as cooked or crunchy as you desire.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Julie Appledog mrsdogs@voyager.net[p]Source: BGE Forum, Julie Appledog[p]*My favorite grill sauce is Zydeco Grill Sauce sold by Dave's Gourmet 800.758.0372

[p]

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    PotatoesGrillNice.jpg
    <p />egghead2004,
    Dizzy Pig has a recipe for those. I tried it once but lost a bunch through the grate.

[ul][li]Dizzy Tater Slices[/ul]
  • egghead2004
    Options
    hayhonker,
    bingo[p]Thanks

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    egghead2004,[p] Try being a BBQ'er and a Diabetic... I can barely eat half the Q I cook.. Egg or Not.. [p] All I can say is thank goodness for Splenda!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Oh no, sorry to hear that..
    that run on my mom's side of the family, have to keep an eye on that. So far so good though.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    eeghead2004,[p] I cope :) Splenda helps cut down on the carbs in the sauces, mops and rubs I use. I made a low card sweet potato pie for a competition and it placed 5th (You should have seen 4th - 1st just looking at them raised by blood sugar), and nobody knew it had Splenda in it.[p] My toughest Splenda critic was surprised it in the recipe.. He had no problem sucking the meat off the left over ribs either :)

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Richard,[p]375 degree oil for 300 minutes???..... I think there is a typo somewhere in the number of minutes, else those would be true pommesfrites sehr, sehr, schwartz.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX