Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short ribs

Options
I found this rack of beef short ribs at the local Randall's. It's 3.65 pounds, 4 bones. If I'm smoking it at 250, am I looking at roughly a 6-8 hour cook to get it up to probing like butter? Am I correct in assuming I can FTC these for a couple hours (and probably a lot longer) once they're done?

I'm looking at a late dinner tonight, but I'm thinking it will be worth it!

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Doing the exact same  cook right now.  I think my post went up 2 minutes before yours    Good luck with your cook. 
    Edina, MN

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Those are great looking ribs.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,344
    Options
    Your estimates are good-I use the toothpick test for the finish. Never have FTC'd but if you give them around 10-15 minutes on a cooling rack then you should be good to FTC while preserving the bark.  Enjoy the eats, "Brisket on a stick."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2016
    Options
    One of my favorite cooks, mine are usually done in 5 hrs or so at 250-275.  Don't forget the finish pics.  I've FTC'd a double batch and traveled 4 hrs with them to the kids and they did fine although they do loose a little bark.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    Here are the finished pictures. Definitely doing this again.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Banquet meal right there!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    The ribs are nice - but that cutting board is really nice.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    We splurged a bit last year on knives and on that cutting board from The Boardsmith. He does great work. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a home run to me.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,344
    Options
    Great result right there-congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Those look great. Time to defrost some from the freezer
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA