Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Out of Mustard

Options
I am doing two brisket points tomorrow.  I normally slather them in mustard and then rub, but I am out of mustard and not going to make it to the store.  I have lots of ketchup, anything wrong with using that as a binder?  Seems to me that the binder disappears, but tomato is not a bad flavor to have lingering a bit anyway.  I also have a bunch of Sweet Baby Ray's but I think that might introduce more sweetness than I want. 

Opinions please.

Will post the cook tomorrow.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Never used ketchup. I use olive oil. Works great
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Olive oil here as well... 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I use olive oil interchangeably with mustard for butts.  With brisket, I don't use a binder.  Not sure why, but I've never had a problem with the SPG not sticking.
    Phoenix 
  • ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    I tired hot sauce the other day on a brisket and it was great
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    IMO, the rub will stick fine with no binder.  There is typically plenty of moisture on the meat.  If I was going to use a binder I would use worcestershire sauce or perhaps some oil.  I would be concerned that ketchup or sweet baby rays might burn during a long cook.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I'd just put your rub on and rock and roll. 
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    Speaking of being out of mustard, the Costco here in charleston quit selling it. Has anyone noticed this?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    IMO, the rub will stick fine with no binder.  There is typically plenty of moisture on the meat.  If I was going to use a binder I would use worcestershire sauce or perhaps some oil.  I would be concerned that ketchup or sweet baby rays might burn during a long cook.  
    Didn't think about burning.  The mustard does not.  I may give the ketchup a shot, but skip the high sugar Ray's.  I use the coffee finish method, so any burned bark will melt.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never used anything and the rub sticks quite well. As for ketchup... that sounds even worse than mustard!!! Much worse, actually. Plus it has a ton of sugar. Water would work, as would oil - though like mustard, they are completely unnecessary.

Mustard is for hot dogs. Ketchup is for fries. That's about it. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Yes it is a matter of personal taste, but hot ketchup and the ketchup residue left behind just doesn't sound appetizing to me.  You know that dried stuff around the top of the ketchup cap?  I picture that all over the finished briskey :) 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I have never used anything and the rub sticks quite well. As for ketchup... that sounds even worse than mustard!!! Much worse, actually. Plus it has a ton of sugar. Water would work, as would oil - though like mustard, they are completely unnecessary.

Mustard is for hot dogs. Ketchup is for fries. That's about it. =)
    LOL, I use mustard for pulled pork and brisket, doesn't affect the flavor at all and holds the rub well.  My schedule changed a little so I won't start the cook until a little later, so a trip to the store will happen in the morning.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Half mustard half pickle juice. The secret of champions!  

But you don't need anything honestly. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I brush with oil on anything I want to add some seasoning sticktion. Chicken,beef, pork, turkey, veggies works on everything and cheap. Save my mustard for hot dogs. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    bare brisket + black pepper + kosher salt + low heat + smoke = delicious!

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Go naked
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    KY...it is water soluble 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Hey Doc I've gone to straight up water as a rub binder.  Wet the meat first the sprinkle a lil more water if you want to add more rub.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If the meat is damp, no need for a binder. I've used Worcestershire sauce with good results if the meat is dry and you need something to dampen the surface.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Anything wet and moist will due :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I've always put the rub directly on the meat.

If you need a binder, I'd try mayo before ketchup.  (mayo on the outside of a grilled cheese becomes a good, crunchy, brown coating that tastes nothing like mayo, just as mustard doesn't)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    Options
    I am doing two brisket points tomorrow.  I normally slather them in mustard and then rub, but I am out of mustard and not going to make it to the store.  I have lots of ketchup, anything wrong with using that as a binder?  Seems to me that the binder disappears, but tomato is not a bad flavor to have lingering a bit anyway.  I also have a bunch of Sweet Baby Ray's but I think that might introduce more sweetness than I want. 

Opinions please.

Will post the cook tomorrow.
    Had I seen this earlier, I would've recommended Amazon one-day shipping. :P
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I'm with @DMW re: using worcestershire in lieu of the mustard.  Given you have two to cook, I would go with the worcestershire on one and nekked with the other.  I'm sure you won't be able to tell the difference.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    #third world problem brother  ;). Mustard is irrelevant.  Rub directly and enjoy your cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Didn't read it but I use mayo on chuck roasts for pulled beef all the time. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I use mayo on my pulled meat. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Mayo on ribs works
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    It puts the mayo on the brisket or else it gets the hose again.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    A While back I did 2 butts, side by side, one slathered with mustard, and rubbed, the other sans the mustard.  Absolutely no difference in taste or texture between the two!!~~
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I always use worcestershire or nothing if I run out.
    Packerland, Wisconsin