Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MM is a crappy pizza cooker

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Lit
    I don't know if it's 100% true or not, but I have heard that Yeti helped design the MM ;)
    I guess that's why I could go to the store today and take one home...
    I don't know if you remember but KJ had the JR out a year and half before the MM. When the MM was announced, it was 6 months before it was actually available. There is a thread somewhere with folks complaining and whining about the wait for the MM. I will find it and bump it tonight. BGE was very slow on the draw getting the MM to market after announcing it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    @Lit
    I don't know if it's 100% true or not, but I have heard that Yeti helped design the MM ;)
    I guess that's why I could go to the store today and take one home...
    I don't know if you remember but KJ had the JR out a year and half before the MM. When the MM was announced, it was 6 months before it was actually available. There is a thread somewhere with folks complaining and whining about the wait for the MM. I will find it and bump it tonight. BGE was very slow on the draw getting the MM to market after announcing it. 
    Pretty sure it was atleast 6 months
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Did they ask for your money upfront? 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What does that have to do with it being a crappy pizza cooker? The man said that it was crappy and I simply offered a valid reason as to why. Actually I just made a joke to aggravate Lit. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Options
    SGH said:
    What does that have to do with it being a crappy pizza cooker? The man said that it was crappy and I simply offered a valid reason as to why. Actually I just made a joke to aggravate Lit. 
    Good luck it's Friday.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Valid reason? LOL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Focker
    do a search, @westernbbq has done some, I've done it, another poster here
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183487/pizza-on-mm-to-woo-or-not-to-woo

it was the cook not the vessel. I honestly don't care if people buy a Mini Max or not I am just clearly stating just because @Lit screwed the pooch and posts about it does not make it fact. this is my last post about the MM being just fine for pizza cooks people can do what they want but it cooks pizzas just fine.
    Seattle, WA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2016
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    @Focker

it was the cook not the vessel. I honestly don't care if people buy a Mini Max or not I am just clearly stating just because @Lit screwed the pooch and posts about it does not make it fact. this is my last post about the MM being just fine for pizza cooks people can do what they want but it cooks pizzas just fine.
    I think Lit knows his way around the MM, and any grill for that matter.  I respect his opinions, trials and tribulations. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SkinnyV
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If others say they've also had similar difficulties maybe it's a matter of trying different approaches. Not sure. I use almost the identical approach I use in the LG and it's been working for me. 7/8" copper fittings for the air gap and semolina on the stone or parchment for cookies and such etc. I don't doubt others have had issues but, there again others have issues on other sized eggs as well. I would only suggest trying again. Dome calibration etc but, you already know this stuff man. The other thing I've done a couple of times with good results was...ie:  Target temp say 500℉. W/ dome that high the stone even with an air gap is much hotter. I'll take a damp (not saturated) bar towel and swipe the stone and it'll chill it a bit. It'll steam off quickly. Then a quick toss of semolina and pizza, bread etc. I found by doing this the stone temp drops about 70°-100° and allows both top and bottom to even out. The stone recovers temp quickly. If I'm slinging out a bunch of Zas etc this isn't quite as critical because the stone's thermal mass is even from the product itself cooling it . But, the first one going onto the stone definitely benefits. Hope that helps. 
    I am by NO MEANS an expert. But, it is what I've found by trial and err
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL Thats what had my head spinning as I have seen your killer cooks and bakes that you have done on your MM.. Thanks..

Thx John. Appreciate that. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Lit
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    @Focker

I really think a lot of it has to do with the stone being larger than the platesetter. I have cooked a lot of pizzas and even a lot on my mini and never had an issue before. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Lit said:
    SkinnyV said:
    @Focker

I really think a lot of it has to do with the stone being larger than the platesetter. I have cooked a lot of pizzas and even a lot on my mini and never had an issue before. 
    I can only assume you're using the same pizza stone I'm using.... BGE medium stone? Overhangs about 1/2"-1" correct?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    SkinnyV said:
    @Focker

I can only assume you're using the same pizza stone I'm using.... BGE medium stone? Overhangs about 1/2"-1" correct?
    Yes. Never had the stone read hotter than the dome in any other egg
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Ya I'd agree with that ^^^^ Bar Rag trick works. Give it a shot. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just bought my MM last week and have cooked on it every night while camping. Pizza turned out great, especially for the first time on the mini max. I also cooked my first brisket along with steaks, burgers, hot dogs, and a pork butt. It was my best pork butt so far, turned out about perfect. I was concerned after first reading this review but I absolutely love the mini max. 

I've only owned a BGE since February 4th so I'm definitely new to cooking on them. I'm a big fan and really like my large and like the mini max just the same.  All I did on my pizza was put the place setter legs down and put the BGE medium pizza stone on top of the place setter.  
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2016
    Options

Anxiously awaiting this MM Za highlight reel.

Have tried the moist towel method for multiple pizza cooks on both small and large, didn't work.  Does a minute amount of water on a towel make that much of a difference during a 10 minute bake on a preheated stone?

Y'all want a throwdown.....

Put your $$$ where your mouth is, or sit the Fock down......suckas.  LMFAO

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    On my XL
    I put a SMALL pizza stone on TOP the the legs-up plate setter.   I have some Ceramic 'L' shaped pieces which provide about 1/2" or less of AIR SPACE.

This keeps the pizza stone on the GRATE from getting too hot.   But even so, the first pie might take 12 to 14 minutes, less as I continue w/2nd pie.

• SkinnyV
    edited March 2016
    Options
    C130 said:
    I just bought my MM last week and have cooked on it every night while camping. Pizza turned out great, especially for the first time on the mini max. I also cooked my first brisket along with steaks, burgers, hot dogs, and a pork butt. It was my best pork butt so far, turned out about perfect. I was concerned after first reading this review but I absolutely love the mini max. 

I've only owned a BGE since February 4th so I'm definitely new to cooking on them. I'm a big fan and really like my large and like the mini max just the same.  All I did on my pizza was put the place setter legs down and put the BGE medium pizza stone on top of the place setter.  
    Yep that easy....but but so and so said so....Let them be.

Silly sheep
    Seattle, WA
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Lit said:
    What a horrible design with the platesetter so close to grate level.

Agree, been my experience that these small novelty cookers are just that, novelties.  Are they kinda cool, yea, can you cook on them, yea, can they be fun, yea, can they produce good food, yea, are the endless work arounds we have to come up with to competently do the things that larger cookers do effortlessly worthwhile? That’s up to the individual that owns the cooker.

For me, no

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Lit
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    C130 said:

Yep that easy....but but so and so said so....Let them be.

Silly sheep
    I know I could never compare with your amazing cooking skills. Wait who are you I don't remember anything you have ever posted.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Got a MM, use it all the time. If you can't cook on it in a manner that satisfies you, that is your issue, and obviously not ours. Learn to use it or sell it. I would be glad to offer you $50.00. You can keep your cowboy lump. =)
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Lit
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Got a MM, use it all the time. If you can't cook on it in a manner that satisfies you, that is your issue, and obviously not ours. Learn to use it or sell it. I would be glad to offer you $50.00. You can keep your cowboy lump. =)
    Hey I just said pizza. It cooks direct fine but so does a little weber for $25. Like I said in my original post I wish I had my KJ Jr. back.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Lit said:
    YukonRon said:
    Hey I just said pizza. It cooks direct fine but so does a little weber for $25. Like I said in my original post I wish I had my KJ Jr. back.
    Just having fun brother. Busting your chops, I know you can cook, you helped me a couple times. 
    FWIW, I have done a couple ZAs, and they were ok.
    I used a small thin stone (I got from world market), parchment, and some large fittings for spacers off the place setter. Got it too 500F ish, about 7-8 mins.
    Pizza Stone is cheap! It is Coated with some sort of enamel, and does a killer job. Sorry you're having Za issues on the MM.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Lit
    Options
    @YukonRon not a big deal at this point I really just want to figure out how I can make a decent pizza in it. I got rid of my large so my only other option is my XL which sucks to fire up for 1 pizza. I did 3 OO pizzas on it last 4th of July and the first one started to burn but I caught it so it was still edible but the toppings were not where they should have been and the next 2 I pulled even a little earlier so the crust was good but the toppings weren't finished. Even one of the links above where someone said they were good if you zoom in on the edges the crust is burnt. Gonna chop my stone and make sure my thermometer is calibrated and give it another try sometime this week.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Lit said:
    @YukonRon not a big deal at this point I really just want to figure out how I can make a decent pizza in
    not sure if anyone above mentioned it but it's been mentioned countless times in general on this forum, consider a blackstone; the LBGE is truly a fantastic pizza cooker but as good as it is it doesn't touch the blackstone for ease of use, fuel efficiency, and final product.  As essentially a one trick pony it better do all that (and it does) so if you can justify the expense & have the space it's a no brainer.  With the exception of a handful of cast iron deep dish pies my egg hasn't seen a single pizza in the year & a half I've had the blackstone & it won't, there's simply no f'ing way I'd go back
    happy in the hut
  • Lit
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Lit said:
    @YukonRon not a big deal at this point I really just want to figure out how I can make a decent pizza in
    not sure if anyone above mentioned it but it's been mentioned countless times in general on this forum, consider a blackstone; the LBGE is truly a fantastic pizza cooker but as good as it is it doesn't touch the blackstone for ease of use, fuel efficiency, and final product.  As essentially a one trick pony it better do all that (and it does) so if you can justify the expense & have the space it's a no brainer.  With the exception of a handful of cast iron deep dish pies my egg hasn't seen a single pizza in the year & a half I've had the blackstone & it won't, there's simply no f'ing way I'd go back
    Yeah I want one of those anyway. I have been watching CL for one. Lowes had one a couple years back in the store on clearance and I didn't get it because I had never heard of it before but wish I had gotten it now.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
  • Zippylip
    Options
    as far as I know they only have one model; that looks just like the one i have.  For years they were around $400, I picked mine up when Lowes had a big sale (somewhere around $250) and after that i even saw them at $199.  At $294 on your link that's a great price, from a pure value standpoint it is money very well spent (assuming you bake a lot of pizzas...)
    happy in the hut
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Lit said:
    What a horrible design with the platesetter so close to grate level.

Agree, been my experience that these small novelty cookers are just that, novelties.  Are they kinda cool, yea, can you cook on them, yea, can they be fun, yea, can they produce good food, yea, are the endless work arounds we have to come up with to competently do the things that larger cookers do effortlessly worthwhile? That’s up to the individual that owns the cooker.

For me, no

I'm not sure that the differences are all that hard to conquer or adapt to yet there seems to be very little information out there as to what owners are doing differently when using them. Throw in the recent fire ring/conveggtor change and this lack of knowledge is even harder to sort out.
    If forum members described successful setups in general or in casual conversation it would help..yet I don't believe that many believe the cooking physics are any different than from any other BGE (which I would disagree with).