Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size BGE for 5 people?

Options
I just moved to a new house, threw my 2 rusted out POS Charbroil grills in the trash! My backyard is both gravel and grass, I am thinking about purchasing a table for my new egg. This will be my 1st time cooking with any type of charcoal, will be on here doing a ton of reading. What size egg would be good for 5 people? I am sure I will have a bunch of other questions. Will be going tomorrow to buy everything. Thanks for the help. John. 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    assuming 2 of the 5 are adults but what sex and ages are the other 3?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jmy2469
    jmy2469 Posts: 12
    Options
    Lol! 5 Adults, 3 men, 2 women. 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Just two in my house and a large is great.  5 steaks, hens, burgers, dogs, would fit fine. 10 big burgers would get tight. Nothing wrong with an XL!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    If money is no problem I'd go with the XL.  You can cook for 5 on a large (especially with an extra grate), but it'll be easier on the XL, and you'll be able to ramp up easier if you have family or friends over.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• jmy2469
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I do have a small screened in porch, do you think it would be ok to set everything up on there or would keeping everything outside would be better? Everything here is open, and yard is not fenced in. Would like to keep it on the porch if possible
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would go large or XL.  I have a family of five and if I am just cooking for the family the large is fine most of the times.  There are times when a little more space would be nice even for 5.  When I have guests over I often wish I went XL. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think the XXL can fit one person, but any more would be pushing it.  I suggest using oak wood for smoke.
    I thought that, was about to post, until I scrolled down and you beat me to the punchline.  Bastard.
    Options
    There's five of us. I've got an XL, and there I times I wish I had a little more real estate.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I think the XXL can fit one person, but any more would be pushing it.  I suggest using oak wood for smoke.
    Hickory is much better flavor for that kind of cook.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Drinking already @nolaegghead?

I'm at the Hyatt Place across from Convention Center in NOLA as I type. 

What's for dinner?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    A Large will do just fine. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I'd go large.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    I suggest as large as you can afford. Love the space on my XL. Enjoy cooking for more than just my family.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    There is 5 of us and we have an XL and a MiniMax. I don't think I would go any smaller, especially when you have guests come over and the 5 of you I still find personally I need another level on my XL. 

The large would be nice but you have to mess around all the time with an extra level and flipping things like chicken wings I simplified my life and got an XL. Next year or two we will probably add another XL to our back yard.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I would start with a large. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Large will probably do. If you can afford the XL, go for it. When I cook for the extended family (6 adults 4 kids) the large isn't enough without getting creative. 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Not that I have ever tried but I think it would be a really tight fit for someone in a XXL. Guess if they were small they might fit ok.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I routinely for 2 adults on a large and it is full on most all cooks.  We cook sides and extra for leftovers most of the time.  I feel you could be disappointed with any size smaller than an XL. JMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Large with adjustable rig and rig extender + two oval grids and two slide guide crossbar setups will work out really well.  IF you go the XL route, I'd also recommend the grid extender from CGS as well as the angl brackets or vortex charcoal/firebox reducer.  If you don't get the firebox reducer, you'll burn through way too much fuel than you need to.

My first BGE was an XL and my second was the L.  I wish I had learned on the L and then got the XL later on.  my learning curve would have been so much easier with the Large.  I wasted a lot of charcoal on the XL trying to get it up to temp for cooking for 4-5 people at a time.  IF you get the CGS setup for the L. you have multiple levels for grilling/roasting/baking that will be good.

can you work a minimax in there as well- you know, to augment any cooker size you decide on?  I use the MM more than the L and XL and I cook routinely for 4- two adults and two kids.  On trips when I take the MM, I cook for about 6 adults and 4 kids and the MM works fine- as long as I have the woo and the minigrid up top, and I do a little advance planning....

• jmy2469
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone, I think I am going to go with the XL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    jmy2469 said:
    Thanks for the info everyone, I think I am going to go with the XL

Good deal. I really don't think you will be sorry.  Nobody ever said "damn, I wish I had a little less room on this cooker".  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good choice.  I have a large and I'm frequently tight on space and have to light up another egg.
    Options
    I'd go with a Large AND a Medium or Small or MiniMax rather than just one XL.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    3 minis.... 2 smalls... 1 medium and a small or one large.  =)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    nolaegghead said:
    Bastard. 
    Now now. Language mister. You know the buffalo is ever watchful my friend ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    All the people recommending a large just want you to make the same mistake they did..... Mic drop :bawling: (I just like stirring the pot)

Like I said the XL for 5 adults tends to be small for us, 5 average sized adults that is.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    To each their own, but if I had it to do over again I would go with the XL. You can cook small clods on the XL. Also the 20+ pound briskets fit much better on the XL than they do on the large. My large has served me very well, but I honestly wish that I would have went with the XL for clod and brisket. The biggest thing that made me go with the large was I got such a good deal on it and it was in the store ready to go. I would have had to wait on them to order a XL. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'd go with a Large AND a Medium or Small or MiniMax rather than just one XL.

I agree.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    No replacement for displacement. Get the XL