Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Checkers-Rally hamburger fans here?

Options
2»

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2016
    Options
    78 T140E said:
    I live in the Fort Lauderdale, FL area.  There's 20 Checkers restaurants within a 15 mi radius of my house.  All of them that I know of are "drive thru" only.  It's a small building with a drive thru on each side.  There's adequate parking and a patio area with picnic tables and seating with sunshade umbrellas.  I don't eat fast food burgers often, but every once in a while, I get an uncontrollable urge for a Checkers Big Buford Burger, Seasoned Fries and  a Chocolate shake.  The seasoned fries are very good and the Big Buford is pretty good also!

I agree, on occasion get a hankerin, and enjoy a Big Beuf Combo.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Focker - Huh? They are in the Quad Cities? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dccoker2
    Dccoker2 Posts: 6
    Options
    The original Checkers is about 10 
    min from my house in Mobile, Al. I think there are three total left. They used to be very good but have had a steady decline for the past 10 or so years. Still better than McD's though. 
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Checkers in my opinion is comparable to Mc Donald's just a bigger frozen nasty burger... Shake Shack on the other hand or in n out is the way to go both franchises are expanding rapidly in both coast 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    @Focker - Huh? They are in the Quad Cities? 
    Yeah, 3 here in the QC.  Their soft serve ice cream waffle cones are super cheap, boy loves them.  The apple pies are pretty awesome too, a buck each. 

I'm with SGH.  Checkers is fast food.  Steak-N-Shake, Shake Shack, etc etc are semi-fast food, or what I call, fancy fast food.  Better burgers at that price point are found at local neighborhood mom and pop bars.  But to each their own. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2016
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    It's FF so I don't think it qualifies as cuisine.  I've eaten their grub and didn't die.  Meh.
    Fred, without trying to incite a riot here, didn't you start a lengthy thread where you talked up both Chick fil a and Waffle House?  Why so dismissive here?

After I eat Checkers-Rally, it always tastes like Chik-fil-a when comming back up.
    Options
    Dccoker2 said:
    The original Checkers is about 10 
    min from my house in Mobile, Al. I think there are three total left. 
    Which one is the original if I may ask? I have a home just outside of Mobile myself.  11 minutes from the airport. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    It's FF so I don't think it qualifies as cuisine.  I've eaten their grub and didn't die.  Meh.
    Fred, without trying to incite a riot here, didn't you start a lengthy thread where you talked up both Chick fil a and Waffle House?  Why so dismissive here?

Wilma's the Chick Fil A enthusiast.  I like them, but I can live without them.  I admit I like the pecan waffle at Waffle House.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    no checkers near me within a few hundred miles, im good with that =) had to go to wendys a few weeks back, should have gotten the chili with the majic hot sauce but had a burger instead. havent had a wendys burger in maybe 20 years, what did they do in that time to make such a lead sinking gut wrenching burger.  only chain burger place im ok with is fuddruckers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    I used to love Rally's when I was in California (yeah, yeah, I know... In-N-Out is amazing) but sometimes I wanted a greezy burger and I also really liked their fries. Back home in Texas I can't get a better fast food burger than Whataburger and that's ok by me. 

Don't eat fast food too often anymore, but there are some really great hole in the wall places near me that make some pretty fantastic burgers. This thing is ridiculous, but their regular burgers are really great too.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    Lots of them in the Atlanta area - I like them for what they are.  Although they now have some stiffer competition in my neck of the woods as a "Cook Out" recently opened in our area as well.  Of all the fast food fries out there, I do like Checker's seasoned fries the best.

However, now that my roof issues are taken care of, I can get my Blackstone griddle setup (finally) and can make my own smash burgers at home now...

Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth,

Eric "GuitarEC" C.
    N. Metro Atlanta, Ga.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Sometimes I just want a good cheeseburger...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Checkers seem to be "conveniently" located to most airports, specifically as a drive through dash while dine market theme. I have eaten at the one that was located close to the Detroit airport next to the car rentals many, many years ago (20?). Had plenty of opportunities since, but have backed off fast food much more. If I remember correctly; Not great, but not real bad, either. Definitely a soggy, greasy, paper bag when you picked it up, is what I think of the experience that most sticks out to me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TheManBehindTheMask
    Options
    checkers is better than mcdonalds
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Diarrhea is better than bloody diarrhea.   This is a true fact, medically proven.
    Options
    Stopped at Checkers the other day with my boys. First time in years. We decided 'nah'. The fries were better than the burgers. It'll be years before we go back. We're Egg snobs now.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The fries are pretty good.