Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newb question about Santa Maria style tri tip

Options
Just got my first Egg last week---an XL.  My first cook was an easy one---just did a couple of beer can chickens.  They turned out awesome, but I didn't know about this forum at the time so I didn't even think about taking any pictures.  

Anyway, I wanted to try something a little more interesting/challenging for my next cook this weekend.  I stumbled onto the forum and have just been cruising through old threads all week looking for inspiration.  Tons and tons of incredible ideas and information here!  I really want to take a crack at a Santa Maria style tri tip.

I found several threads that include Morro Bay Rich's recipe and method.  I'm going to give it a shot, but I have one big question for anybody who knows more than me...which is everybody...

After the initial sear on direct at high temp, and once I bring the egg temp down into the 350 range to finish the cook, do I use the plate setter and do that second phase on indirect?  Or do I leave it on the direct setup while finishing the cook in that lower range?

I appreciate any help and look forward to being part of the forum!

Comments

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    IMO I would actually do a reverse sear on a trip tip.  Cook indirect with the platesetter in till it gets to about 100-110 degrees internal then pull the plate setter and sear on both sides until it gets to your desired level of doneness...hopefully medium rare.  Works great.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Last time I cooked a Tri tip which the neighbors bought I seared inside on a CI Skillet and then put it on the egg at 350 indirect until it hit an IT of 125. I also used the Oakridge Santa Maria Rub. It was far to rare for the crowd and really didn't have a crust.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    When I use Morro Bay Rich's technique, I tend to keep it direct most of the time for the finish as I hate putting my plate setter into a hot BGE. I have done it both ways w/o much difference. Slightly better crust keeping it direct IMO.
    South SLO County
  • Powderhound
    Powderhound Posts: 139
    Options
    IMO I would actually do a reverse sear on a trip tip.  Cook indirect with the platesetter in till it gets to about 100-110 degrees internal then pull the plate setter and sear on both sides until it gets to your desired level of doneness...hopefully medium rare.  Works great.
    This guy is spot on!  That's how I do mine. So good. 
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    This guy is spot on!  That's how I do mine. So good. 
    As  agreed with the above, but I don't even use indirect stone at all (or platesetter) I go direct 350 for a few minutes each side, then crank it up with dome open flipping a few times until 125 internal, then slice and serve.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • bgunter
    bgunter Posts: 2
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    When I use Morro Bay Rich's technique, I tend to keep it direct most of the time for the finish as I hate putting my plate setter into a hot BGE. I have done it both ways w/o much difference. Slightly better crust keeping it direct IMO.
    When you do the searing at high temp part at the beginning, do you keep the lid of the egg open the whole time or do you close it at the high temp with the meat inside on the grill?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am from the forwrd sear camp for my TriTip. To your original question, sear on high heat....then remove and go indirect to temp. Unlike many, I pull mine at Internal temp of 115...and let it rest.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    edited March 2016
    Options
    bgunter said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    When you do the searing at high temp part at the beginning, do you keep the lid of the egg open the whole time or do you close it at the high temp with the meat inside on the grill?
    Get it stable at a high temp for a bit, then I close the lid with the bottom vent open and no top for the sear. Got to be careful here as temps can really take off quickly which makes it tougher to bring the temp back down. I usually get the BGE up in the area of 450-500 until right before I start the sear - It will climb very quickly once you open it up for the sear. 

If you pay close attention, you can do it with the lid open. You can more easily get a crisp "crust" (Bark) this way, but you can also burn it. Depending on how big of a fat cap your Tri tip has, you can get to the burning stage quickly,

As others have said, reverse sear is an option. Easier to control temps and a bit more smoke flavor. Bark/Crust is a bit different IMO. Hard to explain what is different, but I like the crust better with Rich's method. I get a more even cook going reverse. It's a trade off.

Experiment.

If you really like the crust, cooking direct at around 400 and turning every 3 minutes or so (basting if you want) until you reach 5 degrees or so short of your desired final temp (it's a roast - it will continue to cook after you pull it with this method) makes for a GREAT crust. Just not as evenly cooked inside and easier to over or under cook.
    South SLO County