Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asparagus on the egg.... Wasn't good...

Need some advice.... Fired up the large after cleaning out and starting with fresh Rockwood. I mixed in a few chunks of Apple hunks for a little bit of smoke. After about 10 mins I threw some asparagus on there (my first time) thinking it should be easy enough. Cooked it till done, covered and proceeded to cook some fresh Sheepshead, skin on. (awesome)! 
The fish was awesome as expected but the asparagus was terrible IMO.... Very strong (unpleasant) smokey/chemically flavor. 
Only thing I can think is that maybe there was some residual VOCs burning off when I threw on the asparagus. 

Anyone have suggestions, and maybe a asparagus recepie? 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Did you coat the asparagus in olive oil? If so, I've had the same thing happen when I went too heavy on the oil. The oil drips into the fire and makes nasty smoke.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    No oil, only sprinkled paprika. I did have a problem with keeping the flame down though. I had the grill steady at 325 but every time I opened her to roll the asparagus it kept flaring up. 
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    X2 on the oil.    I wash and then add salt and some lemon pepper to wet asparagus.  If you have to use oil, try sesame oil.   It adds a nice, nutty flavor and has higher flash point.   Make sure voc's are burned off and you get a grilled/steamed asparagus that tastes great.   I normally cook veggies after meat, too, to make sure all bad smoke is gone.  
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • ckali7
    There are some things I just don't like smoke on. Sweet potatoes, mushrooms and asparagus amount them. I like grilled asparagus, just no smoke wood. 
    Thought I'd be safe with the Apple though. It's supposed to be mild. 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    I do it on a cast iron skillet in the egg, just oil and salt.
  • ckali7
    Uggh, can't get the taste out of muh mouth...
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    A few chunks is a lot- especially for fish and veggies. They tend to pick up a lot of smoke- next time let the coals warm up for 30 minutes till you get clear good smelling smoke and try without any wood.  You can add smaller amounts u till you find your preferences.
    Greensboro, NC
  • ckali7
    RRP said:
    Direct? Seriously? My asparagus are always egged as "rafts" meaning they were pinned through with 2 round toothpicks and then laid on top of whatever meat I am cooking - and near the end of the cook. Asparagus is best when still a little bit crunchy in my book.

The rafts aye s good idea. 
  • ckali7
    Thanks everyone. Now that I'm thinking about it I realized/remember that the smoke burning off was so strong that it was burning my eyes just a few minutes before I threw on the asparagus. That should have told me something right there! But I was in a rush getting dinner started late and didn't even think about it. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I do mine after my protien cook. It gererally goes fast and requires a little love turning them. I normally use a little olive oil and some Montreal Steak seasoning. Never had your issue though. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Asparagus is never good........
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    No matter how gross that asparagus was, I'd eat that before the sheepshead any day. Now your due for a clean burn. 
    NW IOWA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Sounds like you prolly figured it out already.  It likely was a combination of the VOC's and the wood smoke. Good way to tell if the VOC's have cooked off appropriately is to wave your hand over the top.  Then smell your hand. If your hand smells chemically, give it some more time.  I personally like pan searing  or wokking asparagus.  A little butter and S&P and you're all set.  If you like spicy, try adding in some sambal olek.  Good luck!  Practice make perfect. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited March 2016
    @ckali7, another tip for you as asparagus is the most frequent vegetable I make on the egg as it is so easy...

I always make it last after I have taken the meat off as it cooks so quick.   Soon as I take the meat off I throw it on and close the egg.  Then I bring the meat in to rest and call the family down for dinner.   Head back out to the egg (it's been a few minutes) and move the asparagus around a bit to cook it evenly.

Go back in, get whatever else I need situated for dinner and when I go back out the asparagus is done!   Add salt if you need it and serve immediately.

Be happy to give you a recipe if you like, but you can pretty much put anything or nothing on asparagus.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • ckali7
    Philly35 said:
    No matter how gross that asparagus was, I'd eat that before the sheepshead any day. Now your due for a clean burn. 
    The Sheepshead was awesome!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    I'll say it again. Ten minutes is not enough to burn off a new load of lump

flaring up at 325 is more proof. Dust and gasses haven't butned off at that point and the fire isn't burning clean
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• ckali7
    Got it, more burn off next time.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    ckali7 said:
    Thanks everyone. Now that I'm thinking about it I realized/remember that the smoke burning off was so strong that it was burning my eyes just a few minutes before I threw on the asparagus. That should have told me something right there! But I was in a rush getting dinner started late and didn't even think about it. 
    It's how we all learn. Just be glad it was a vegetable and not an expensive piece of meat.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think oil is fine.  Just bad smoke.
    Just about everything we cook on the grill has fat or oil on it or in it.
    edited March 2016
    Just about everything we cook on the grill has fat or oil on it or in it.
    I agree times a million. Food without fat or oil is akin to cardboard ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited March 2016
    First, sheepshead is amazing. 

Second, if I'm grilling the entree (especially with chunks), I don't want everything else to taste like the same smoke.  I'll start the sweet potatoes in the egg then move them to the oven. Asparagus?  oven.  I love the egg, but I don't cook everything on it just for the sake of it. Some stuff does better in the oven.

(And FWIW, tonights dinner was lamb rack (egg), and spaghetti squash and asparagus (both oven).  And wine (bar).

NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm gonna have to stop putting the wine in the egg.  Ruins the bouquet.  Good advice my man.
    i like to wrap the asparagus in foil with olive oil (or italian dressing) and steak seasoning and then finish them on the grill for some sear marks and singed heads. Sometimes fallen soldiers slip between the grill bars to fish out later.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    GOSP EVOO. Egg for 10-15 mins, serve.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Never try to smoke asparagus at low heat. Always do asparagus hot and fast. I once made the same mistake. It had nothing to do with the smoke. My other food was excellent.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I usually cook mine direct. Over Royal Oak. Sometimes I sauté in a skillet. Either way, it's good stuff.

But what's all this nonsense about "bad smoke"? I thought Rockwood's VOCs burned off in about 30 seconds. Or that is magically had none at all.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut