Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideas for burgers and the battle for grid space

Options
kl8ton
kl8ton Posts: 5,429
Once again we are hosting a birthday party in which burgers are the main course.  I have a large BGE.  There will be roughly 20 in attendance.  I usually am grilling the 1/3 lb patties pre-made from a butcher.  I can't fit them all on at once.  What are my options and your ideas.  I have no second tier or adjustable rig or anything.  Usually i do them in batches.  We all start eating at the same time.  The kids get the first batch that is not as warm or fresh as the second batch.  Even if i had a second tier, i think it would be a pain to flip them all.  Maybe I can sneak out and buy an XL.  Any creative ideas other than having the oven set to warm and storing them all in there until the last batch comes off?

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    i would do the batches, if you put to many in at a time its going to smoke too badly.  one thing that helps is to toast all the buns before the burgers go on
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    At mine house (ok the wif's house and mine), I usually cook off the hamburgers first.....then throw on the cheese burgers on the second run through. You can only do what you can do on the space you have. If this is a common problem....there is always the XL and don't forget the Blackstone is a good option for the burgers as well. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    If you work straight through I bet the first batch would still be plenty warm if you throw them in a small ice chest, like we do with the pulled pork.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm an old guy, and more formal than a lot of younger folks, but burger-based cookouts tend to be very informal anyway, so why insist on everybody starting at the same moment?  Cook them in batches, but let the people getting the first batch start in when they're fresh.  It's not like burgers take very long anyway, so the second batch people aren't going to be envious for very long.

Maybe the parents could be helping the kids fix their plates from the first batch and get them all organized while the adults' burgers are cooking?  Seems to me everybody'd be happy!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I'm with Theophan. 1st round for the kids and whoever else is about ready to gnaw their own arm off because they're starving, then second round for folks who wanted to get a another beer in them before eating. I doubt you'll have any complaints.

Best solution, of course, is to get the XL now while you have a good excuse!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I usually cook them all and out then in a covered foil pan with beef broth and keep warm in the oven until everything is ready. Same with the hot dogs.