Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It was a nice evening to go to Urgent Care...

Options
2»

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Last fall.  Table saw kickback.  I ate a chunk of wood.  14 stitches of fun.

Flint, Michigan
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Glad to hear this. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I like it.  No "Pics or it didn't happen" for you, Fred19Flintstone !!!!  A real wood warrior right here. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Happy there was nothing too serious. Spatch on.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Slipped on some icy aircraft stairs at about 0500 one morning several years ago. Fell, broke my glasses, the temple on my eyeglass frames punctured my left eyelid and eyeball. Came within a few millimeters of losing my eye. Was in surgery by 0600. Good doc at a great hospital. Walked away with 6 stitches and wearing a patch for a few weeks. I have never taken a sunrise, beautiful women or smile for granted since then. Glad you are OK.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Lucky man! Glad you're ok. I had the same thing happen in my ear. Literally a glowing ember landed in my ear and burnt it. It hurt like bell and I had an ulcer for a few days, but still wasn't my eyeball!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I was teaching a CCW class one day, standing behind the female student shooting.  I had a .22LR casing land right between my protective glasses and eyelid.  Worse part was I was trying to pull the glasses off, but since the ear pieces were under my muffs, couldn't do it.  That casing got to fry my eye lid for 2-3 seconds until I could get the glasses off.  When people asked what happened, I got to tell them I was shot by a girl!

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @stlcharcoal I was a LE firearms instructor for 20+ years, been there, done that...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    sorry to hear of the potential horror, but glad you are OK considering the possibility. As a young lad at age 14 I resisted the idea of having to wear "sealed beams" as we used to call them with kids wearing glasses. I truly feel what won me over was a simple sign in my eye doctor's office which read "Next to life itself then eye sight is the most GOD given gift". I walked out with my new glasses 3 weeks later thinking "sealed beams" are cool and anybody want a punch in their mouth if they don't believe me?!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Man, sounds like we are kin!!!  Glad all is OK!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Happy to hear it didn't it wasn't any worse than that.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's one none of you have done (I'm just guessing here)...I was putting mascara on and looking in the mirror and watching my daughter jumping on the bed behind me and... SCRATCHED THE BRUSH ACROSS MY CORNEA! It was a miserable week in an eye patch. OMG that hurt!

I'm so glad you weren't more badly hurt.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Probably overkill..but the Lord somehow convinced me to pick up these for grinding/weed torch starts years ago:
    http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/dpg82-11-dewalt-concealer-dual-mold-goggle-clear-anti-fog
    I cannot thank him enough for countless similar close calls as described here working the farm, construction, projects or let lone simply mowing/trimming the lawn. Many thanks also for the stories told so that others might be so (cough) 'lucky' given these first hand warnings. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    We should all take this as a PSA.  Eyes aren't for messing with.  Glad you're OK.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    at least you didn't call 911. I am so tired of people who abuse that number
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Love the Sacrificial Spatch!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I was teaching a CCW class one day, standing behind the female student shooting.  I had a .22LR casing land right between my protective glasses and eyelid.  Worse part was I was trying to pull the glasses off, but since the ear pieces were under my muffs, couldn't do it.  That casing got to fry my eye lid for 2-3 seconds until I could get the glasses off.  When people asked what happened, I got to tell them I was shot by a girl!

I had something similar happen to me with me Ruger P94 40 cal, but it dropped through.  I have had another go down my shirt the really hurt.

@XC242, glad to hear it wasn't worse and you are doing ok.  I have had mine spark, but never gotten that high up to my eye.  I may have to start taking safety a little more seriously when lighting the egg.  I have only dealt with back draft and the dragon at the bottom a  few times from the egg.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Good PSA, glad you're ok. 

Had exploding lump the other day on lightup, it ricochet'd off the dome.  A good reason why I keep a pair of safety glasses on during cooking.  Have had metal in my eyes as a kid and grinding, with a severely scratched cornea, not fun.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."