Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Vacation

Options

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    My personal favorite would have to be Cairo, Egypt. But I'm kind of a museum buff so really enjoyed my time there.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Istanbul is on my list. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Since you mentioned it, the Dalmatian coast of Croatia is unbelievably beautiful.  I didn't get to see enough of it as I was there for work just for a couple of days, but I did get to spend some time in and around Dubrovnik and it was fantastic.  Lots of grilled meat and seafood, very nice people.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    We did go to the riviera maya area of Mexico a couple years ago. Took the parents and in laws for 50 th anniversaries, so didn't get out much. Did dive the second largest living reef in the world and toured Talum. Lots of other stuff to do. Especially diving and snorkeling. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Edenborough, Scottland and Northern England were stunning 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You set a high bar.  We've been a lot of places.  To get on your short list it must be really remarkable.  With that said - add Kenya to the list.  I'm not sure about the safety right now so it may not be the answer for this year, but put it on the list.  The wildlife is incredible.  The people and culture are remarkable.  And little known to most, the coast has some incredible beaches and culture as it is where the Swahili culture was born.  We had 8 incredible days there and didn't make it to the coast so we'd like to go back some day.  We visited a Masai village one day and that evening my kids came to the dinner table and said something to the effect of "you've always told us how fortunate we are to have wealthy American parents - we get it now".  (Of course, I could have taken them to the south side of San Antonio and hopefully achieved most of that effect).

South Africa is similarly good and has a great wine country. 

The Galapagos could be a great choice.

And someone else mentioned Costa Rica.  It is also excellent.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sicily. Don't think we'd use the return ticket. 
    Or maybe Italy, Germany or Gibraltar.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Go to Switzerland- Lucerne, Lugano, Interlaken, etc- beautiful and lots to do outdoors.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Mexico, El dorado Maroma.  That's if you are old and don't wat to party well into the night.   A very small resort but the staff is GREAT!  Krismia if you are looking on the net. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Colorado in the summer is very difficult to beat in my opinion. Westher and scenery are perfect and there are plenty of activities for all ages. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Colorado in the summer is very difficult to beat in my opinion. Westher and scenery are perfect and there are plenty of activities for all ages. 
    Colorado in the winter is tough to beat as well  =)
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Driving the Pacific Coast highway from north to south is gorgeous, and you can adjust what you do as you please, or just make time along the highway.  My in-laws did a take on the Route 66 drive and really enjoyed some off the beaten path spots.  Montreal and Quebec City are a great set for 7-10 days.  Uluru (Ayers Rock) is on my bucket list; I'm sure I could find ways to spend the rest of a week in Australia.  One of my college buddies did a rafting trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    Haida Gwaii.   Formally known as the Queen Charlotte Islands.   Coastal rain forest is spectacular.  Fishing is superb.  Beaches go on for days.   You can head to North beach and drive for miles and miles right on the sand, clam (razors) at low tide.   Throw on some shorts, wade into the surf with a fishing net, catch 2lb Dungeness crabs for dinner.  Chase small dinner plate sized scallops in the surf as they tumble up and down the beach.  Pick agates at Agate beach.  Take a kayak tour in Gwaii Haanas (limited access, need an outfitter).  Quaint island shops dot the island, hand made treasures.   Hiking trails everywhere.  Beach combing everywhere.  Eagles and seals, everywhere.  Orcas and grey whales if you're in the right spots.  Camp on the beach.  

Best part...it's all on "island time".   Nothing happens quickly out there.  That's a vacation in itself.

...been going over there almost every year for the past 20 years.   Can't wait until July!
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Maui. I love the weather and the laid back vibe throughout the island. Breathtaking beauty. It is truly paradise for me anyway. 
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I love Cozumel.  I would also offer San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.  It is a really neat place.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,946
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    @DoubleEgger  I think you have seen some of my posts and travels.  I have been around the world.  I need some parameters. I could suggest 15 countries for all different reasons.  Other than not sitting, anything else?  And not sure if I missed it, but how many days including travel?  
    Probably a week and a half or so. I'm a wanderer and like checking things out. We spent a week in Germany with no hotels booked and just free wheeled it and had a blast. We tend to gravitate to smaller cities and rural areas over the big cities. I hated Rome (too crowded) but loved Lake Como/Bellagio. We enjoy historical sightseeing as well as outdoor stuff like hiking, kayaking, etc. We loved Norway because of the outdoor adventures and the historical stuff like 900 yr old wooden stave churches. We like wildlife viewing as well. Yellowstone and Banff/Jasper are awesome during the elk rut. Before I posted this, Alaska, Glacier/Waterton NP, Iceland and Croatia were on the short list. 
    This made me think of the trip we made once from San Fran to Mendocino. Along the way we stopped at the Muir Woods national monument.  Then the drive up the coast is a ton of fun, although I think my wife almost tossed her cookies around a few of those turns. 

In and around Mendocino we did some kayaking in the Pacific and hiking - pretty easy to do that there.  Then we got to a number of vineyards in the area too.  

We stayed here:

http://www.brewerygulchinn.com/

Probably one of my all-time favorite places, and I've been all over.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    @DoubleEgger  I think you have seen some of my posts and travels.  I have been around the world.  I need some parameters. I could suggest 15 countries for all different reasons.  Other than not sitting, anything else?  And not sure if I missed it, but how many days including travel?  
    Probably a week and a half or so. I'm a wanderer and like checking things out. We spent a week in Germany with no hotels booked and just free wheeled it and had a blast. We tend to gravitate to smaller cities and rural areas over the big cities. I hated Rome (too crowded) but loved Lake Como/Bellagio. We enjoy historical sightseeing as well as outdoor stuff like hiking, kayaking, etc. We loved Norway because of the outdoor adventures and the historical stuff like 900 yr old wooden stave churches. We like wildlife viewing as well. Yellowstone and Banff/Jasper are awesome during the elk rut. Before I posted this, Alaska, Glacier/Waterton NP, Iceland and Croatia were on the short list. 
    This made me think of the trip we made once from San Fran to Mendocino. Along the way we stopped at the Muir Woods national monument.  Then the drive up the coast is a ton of fun, although I think my wife almost tossed her cookies around a few of those turns. 

In and around Mendocino we did some kayaking in the Pacific and hiking - pretty easy to do that there.  Then we got to a number of vineyards in the area too.  

We stayed here:

http://www.brewerygulchinn.com/

Probably one of my all-time favorite places, and I've been all over.  
    I agree. Those who live in the area are blessed. Really great area. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Couple other entries. Houseboat trip in Kentucky and Boston area trip.   Loved them both for different reasons. Lots of great places with different things to offer. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Galápagos Islands or African Safari (photo).
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    Fly in to Calgary..rent a comfortable full size truck/SUV and drive from Banff to Jasper or wherever life takes you. There may be more spectacular scenery jammed in to that small of an area with luxury amenities included (if you desire) in North America..yet I'm still looking (please advise).
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I did that the year before last @Eggzellent . Awesome trip! 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    Hi54putty said:
    Colorado in the winter is tough to beat as well  =)
    I will take your word for it. I hate cold weather. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Lake Lanier should be opening the beach and water park soon. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I guess you could open the discussion with single or SWMBO'd.  Definitely changes the options.  Single, I would land in Thailand (Pattaya Beach) and crawl from there.  You will never be better treated in your life.
    Married-I would stay home.  YMMV-  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    @Hi54putty My wife and I celebrated our 20th this past summer in Telluride.  We had an awesome time!  What a beautiful place.

Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    Fly in to Calgary..rent a comfortable full size truck/SUV and drive from Banff to Jasper or wherever life takes you. There may be more spectacular scenery jammed in to that small of an area with luxury amenities included (if you desire) in North America..yet I'm still looking (please advise).
    Close to my back yard.  Come on up...I'll even provide accommodations.  All I ask in return is a RTIC 65...!!
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Aw hell, stay home and remodel the kitchen.  =)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    The great thing about travel is that it is what you make it to be whatever it is you want it to be. You can go to any part of the world, travel 500 miles in a car and end where you began. Someone else can do the same exact trip: land in the same airport rent the same car, and be required to travel the same roads, and they will have a different experience as you due to different interests. 

The US is great, but I find that things are still similar where ever you go. On vacation, I want to get away. Far away. Escape from the norm and reality of life. I have only found that when I travel internationally. 

Taking things that you said, what about a road trip starting in Tuscany Italy? Visit a few small towns as you head NE. Hop the border to Solvania, and then to Croatia so it was already on your list.  You can then conquer that part of Europe or switch back and head to Austria or Switzerland.  Travel the borders where the cultures are melded together to get really unique combinations of traditions and food.  

Do not want to drive? A European river cruise intrigues me, and might fit for you too - but nature and flexibility might be compromised. A ship keeps a schedule. 

Another similar style of trip as above but different would be Patagonia/Argentina. Oh that Mendoza valley! Malbec wines at their finest served with goat cooked to perfection by a campfire in the shadow of mountains that reminds you how significant you are in the world.  Humbling and magical. Once you get there-it is dirt cheap. I would not go there during our summer months though.....

The Galopagos would be incredible, and are on my list. But this is not about me... Just wanted to throw that in there.

If you are a boating person, can read a map and navigate a boat, the San Juan islands between WA state and BC are a boaters dream.  If you can't, you can hire a guide (or me!!! Ha ha. Hell, pay for the boat rental and I will captain it). Colors at night at Roche harbor with a 200+ boat horn sunset salute is a unforgettable experience. Travel north to desolation sound, see orcas which breach, tail-lob and spyhop  more there then anywhere else observed on earth. Catch crabs and salmon, and gather oysters at low tide. If you go, I can tell you where to anchor for any direction wind. 

AU and NZ was our last real trip. We did the Great Barrier Reef, cruised NZ to Tasmania and ended in Sydney. NZ was incredible, safe in every way, clean, views to die for, and people who would give you the shirt off their back. Travel the countryside where bungee jumping was born and camp on the beach where penguins come back to roost after feeding all day at sea. They walk by you wondering why you are on their beach. See other wildlife in the wild you will not and can not find anywhere else. 

I have not done Africa or Asia, so I can not comment on them. The islands in the South Pacific are all unique and individual, getting from one to another takes planning and time unless you cruise.  

If you go to Iceland before November, let me know I am going to want to talk to you.  After November, we can compare trips. :wink: 

The world is a vast place. Sounds like you have a short list. Whatever you choose, please share it with us either real time or when you get back. Even if no one else does, I want to know where you went, what you did, and what you ate.

Godspeed my friend.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Just finalized my summer vacation today.  Going on a coast to coast road trip across America - just my daughter and myself.  

Good luck planning yours @DoubleEgger .
    Phoenix