Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Vacation

Options
DoubleEgger
DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
Where's the best place you've ever been on vacation and why do you think it was the best? I'm struggling this year...

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    fly fishing bonefish flats in the abacos =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Hmmm...all of them, depends. Bar Harbor, ME and hiking in Acadia National Park. Venice and Florence, Italy. And getting ready for a trip to Berlin and Copenhagen.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Where's the best place you've ever been on vacation and why do you think it was the best? I'm struggling this year...
    Key West is worth the trip if you haven't been down there before.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    There's only one place to go!  

https://youtu.be/Ymd3tRzhNt8
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Man we have been fortunate. Cannot narrow down to favorite. Assume you just mean in US?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Haven't been yet, but come June we're headed to Costa Rica for rafting, rappelling zip lining. Cloud Forrest, volcano and beach all in the week. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Rincon, Puerto Rico has always been one of my favorites.
    Glacier National Park is awesome too.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    That's a tough one. What do you like to do on vacation? Beach and beer? Touring historic stuff? Hiking or more active stuff? That's kinda like asking what the best lump or rub is....
    I've been blessed to go to a lot of cool places. Narrow it down a little and I'll see if I can help you out. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • gtcharlie
    gtcharlie Posts: 65
    Options
    If you are only talking US I would suggest a trip to Charleston and the Seabrook Island area.  My family and I almost always travel West from Chicago for vacation, including the Phoenix area, San Diego, Utah (which we particularly loved), but last spring took a trip to Seabrook.  Absolutely one of the most relaxing and enjoyable vacations I have ever been on.   Excellent food, great uncrowded beaches and extremely friendly people.  We will return.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    What is this "vacation" you speak of?
    i know this too well, i could take every friday off for a year and still take a weeks vacation and have some time still left over. i think theres 64 days owed to me right now =)
    fukahwee maine

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Cabo San Lucas, the fishing is eggcellent. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Brother Double, given your travel history I assume you are wide open?  What kinda time do you guys have and what theme are you after?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Man we have been fortunate. Cannot narrow down to favorite. Assume you just mean in US?
    No sir. We're open to anywhere. Of our last five vacations, only one has been USA (Yellowstone) 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I've been to a lot of places in the US.  My favorite and in my opinion the most beautiful place in the United States is Estes Park, Colorado.  The camping, the town, the rivers, the waterfalls, the mountains, the hikes, the wild animals, the clean pine tree smell.  Can't be beat.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• DoubleEgger
    edited March 2016
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Brother Double, given your travel history I assume you are wide open?  What kinda time do you guys have and what theme are you after?
    Usually around a week and half or so. I don't have a theme narrowed down. We have been doing the outdoor theme over the past few years. Yellowstone, Banff/Jasper, Norway etc. The other trips have been more historical/culture related in Western Europe. 

The only thing I can say definitively is that I can't stand sitting around in one place for a week. I'm bored to tears on typical beach vacations. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Thailand. Bangkok, Phuket, Chiangmai are all worth seeing. The street food in Chiangmai is phenomenal. The people there are (or at least were) extremely friendly. 
    Go big or go home. ;)
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    We take long road trips once or twice per year and have found some great places to visit.  Our favorite one was a drive to Alaska where we spent 30 days going from island to island to mainland on the Alaska Ferry system.  We spent another 30 days driving around the Yukon.

Many of our trips include Texas (obviously not the Alaskan one) where we try to visit as many BBQ places as we can.

Lot of things to see in the US.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Usually around a week and half or so. I don't have a theme narrowed down. We have been doing the outdoor theme over the past few years. Yellowstone, Banff/Jasper, Norway etc. The other trips have been more historical/culture related in Western Europe. 

The only thing I can say definitively is that I can't stand sitting around in one place for a week. I'm bored to tears on typical beach vacations. 
    those carribean islands are only good for three days, if i were to do it i would island hop, those little airports are in and out.
    fukahwee maine

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    There's only one place to go!  

https://youtu.be/Ymd3tRzhNt8
    That is funny right there. Yes....please come spend money in our state.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    We just got back from Maui and really enjoyed it.  Hawaii was never really a destination place for me and now I want to go back.  Lots of good restaurants and just enough stuff to keep you "busy" for a week.

Went to Rome for a couple years back for a week and really loved that too.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I love the desert of Arizona. There are some great resorts in the Phoenix area. It can be a bit rough in the summer with the heat....but a few days / nights in Sedona is a nice temp and change of scenery....This is and easy drive-from PHX, and then a few hours drive up to the south Rim of the Grand Canyon. Maybe even shoot the Colorado River while out there. http://www.westernriver.com/trips/grand6day/
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bora-Bora by far. The drive is a ****
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Next is Big Sur area
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    I really appreciate all of the responses. We've been to some of the places noted and others were on my short list when I posted this. There are definitely some places mentioned that picqued my interest. Sorry @tarheelmatt Aunt Myrtle doesn't get a rose....
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Next is Big Sur area
    Did that last year. Awesome hiking.

Check out The Post Ranch Inn.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you like drive by jet ski assassinations, I hear Acapulco is nice. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @DoubleEgger  I think you have seen some of my posts and travels.  I have been around the world.  I need some parameters. I could suggest 15 countries for all different reasons.  Other than not sitting, anything else?  And not sure if I missed it, but how many days including travel?  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    Dalr Hollow lake in Middle ,TN. Rented a house boat. Swim a little, boar a little, fish at night,(crappie season), play some table games, swim a little, repeat. No Phone connections.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    @DoubleEgger  I think you have seen some of my posts and travels.  I have been around the world.  I need some parameters. I could suggest 15 countries for all different reasons.  Other than not sitting, anything else?  And not sure if I missed it, but how many days including travel?  
    Probably a week and a half or so. I'm a wanderer and like checking things out. We spent a week in Germany with no hotels booked and just free wheeled it and had a blast. We tend to gravitate to smaller cities and rural areas over the big cities. I hated Rome (too crowded) but loved Lake Como/Bellagio. We enjoy historical sightseeing as well as outdoor stuff like hiking, kayaking, etc. We loved Norway because of the outdoor adventures and the historical stuff like 900 yr old wooden stave churches. We like wildlife viewing as well. Yellowstone and Banff/Jasper are awesome during the elk rut. Before I posted this, Alaska, Glacier/Waterton NP, Iceland and Croatia were on the short list.