Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wooden baking steel carrier/storage case

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited March 2016 in EggHead Forum
My new 14" baking steel weighs 16.6 pounds and is sort of awkward to carry when I have to go through a large heavy sliding glass door and then a screen door. I was afraid I might trip and send that steel right through either door. So I made this carrying case so I can carry it easily with one hand. BTW inside has thin slippery silicone sheets that the steel slides on thus protecting the seasoning.

In order to reduce added weight of the case then the backside only has 3.5 x 16 board which gives the case rigidity and also allowed for a comfortable grip through the hand slot.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    So this allows you to carry your baking steel off to your side like, say, a duffel bag?   =)
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    So this allows you to carry your baking steel off to your side like, say, a duffel bag?   =)
    I don't think so. I believe it is designed to be carried like a backpack. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Couldn't you attach a belt to it and wear it like a fanny bag or a sporran !!! In that way you would have both hands free.. B)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    needs a drinkholder =) nice work, could be used as a cutting board as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Earshots
    Earshots Posts: 110
    Options
    Steel in one hand smaller egg in the other  ;)
    Tallmadge Ohio, XL and S eggs 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Ron, I think what all of these nice people are trying to say is they really need to see this modeled, so they can see how it works.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Nice wood btw.
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    Pridnjoy said:
    kl8ton said:

Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Earshots
    Earshots Posts: 110
    Options
    Tallmadge Ohio, XL and S eggs 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I have a Baking Steel .. I really like this, maybe I'll make one like yours. Thanks Ron
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Looks cool to me. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks all - btw here's the guts. For the areas that I wanted the silicone to be I spread a thick layer of wood glue so that to would seal the wood grain. Let that dry overnight and then used double sided carpet tape to grab the silicone cutting mats.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pridnjoy said:
    kl8ton said:

Post of the day. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks all - btw here's the guts. For the areas that I wanted the silicone to be I spread a thick layer of wood glue so that to would seal the wood grain. Let that dry overnight and then used double sided carpet tape to grab the silicone cutting mats.

This may be a silly question, but it there no adhesive that would bond the silicon directly to the wood?
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

This may be a silly question, but it there no adhesive that would bond the silicon directly to the wood?
    I suppose there is something but I knew that indoor/outdoor weatherproof double sided carpet tape would grab it quite well. BTW I used a J-roller to make sure they were down tight.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    I would think the seasoning would be tough enough to withstand the occasional sliding in/out of a wooden case.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I would think the seasoning would be tough enough to withstand the occasional sliding in/out of a wooden case.
    That piece of plywood was flooring underlayment and the ply on the rough side was exactly that - rough! So rather than to even sand it I decided to go the route I did.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks great Ron.
    Not to mention you can hang in on the wall by the hand grip hole.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I speak from experience, that tape will hold anything. Hate that shît with a passion. 

Nice case though, nice touch with the silicon. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Looks great Ron - you're getting crushed here!  

Although thinner, it looks just like the magazine rack my Mother has in her bathroom.  Maybe you could use it for that as well - kind of double doodie.

RRP said:

Phoenix 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Looks great and just in time for grilling season!!!!!! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@RRP   Kidding aside, how do you like the baking steel?

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    Options
    blasting said:

LOL - haven't had chance to use it yet! Been too busy - don't let anybody tell you retired people have plenty of time on their hands! After all we have to speed up, not slow down - we have less time left!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:
    blasting said:

LOL - haven't had chance to use it yet! Been too busy - don't let anybody tell you retired people have plenty of time on their hands! After all we have to speed up, not slow down - we have less time left!
    Oh boo f'n hoo. 

You guys kill me. Well, you earned it. Kudos to you. Enjoy Ron!
  • Powderhound
    Powderhound Posts: 139
    Options
    How do you set this up?  I tried baking cookies indirect at 350 on my large and burned the bottoms badly!  
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Is it Bluetooth?

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Since your retired I think you should make a case for the case. Nice job, I would like to get a steel as well.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    How do you set this up?  I tried baking cookies indirect at 350 on my large and burned the bottoms badly!  
    Can you describe in more detail your indirect set up please?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Nice!