Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max Heat Question

Options
I just bought a MM for our RV and used it last night camping for the first time to break in the gasket.  I lit it in the center of the lump but noticed after a couple of hours all of the heat seem to be coming from the rear of the mini max. There was an area of lump that was burning very hot making it difficult to cook evenly.  I only cooked hotdogs because I was keeping the temp around 300 but if I placed them in one area they would burn but very quickly. Dome temp never got over 300 and stayed around 280 for several hours. 

I'm going to clean it out today and check the placement of the firebox. Any other suggestions? I'd say the area was maybe the rear 1/3 where the lump was red hot. I did use some lump I bought at Costco and had previously used in my Weber but never in an egg. I've only had my large BGE for about 5-6 weeks but I've never seen such uneven heat distribution.  
Scott
Magnolia, TX
LBGE
Mini Max

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    For me, if I'm looking to grill at the 300 degree range, I would light in 3 places.
    i like having 3 smaller heat spots creating the 300 degree instead of one large spot puting out 300.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My issue may have just been not paying  attention when I started. I found the grate upside down and guess they installed it upside down and I didn't catch it. Most of the holes were clogged up with ash due to it being upside down. 

I cooked pizza on it tonight and just like my experience on the large it turned out great. I cooked it at a lower temp than my large just because I was trying to not burn it. I put the place setter legs down and put the pizza stone on top of the place setter. 450 dome temp and it took about 12 minutes. Next time I think I'll go right up to 550-600 like I have been doing on my large. 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • C130
    Options

Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Pizza looks great.
    Try PS legs down again but use a spacer to raise your pizza stone a little higher in the dome. Just give the stones ample time to heat up.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Pizza looks good!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Powderhound
    Powderhound Posts: 139
    Options
    As in all eggs the most heat will come from the back. I've not had any of those issues with mine. I do make sure all the air holes are unplugged prior to each cook and get even temps. You may have had some holes clogged. 
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • C130
    edited March 2016
    Options
    As in all eggs the most heat will come from the back. I've not had any of those issues with mine. I do make sure all the air holes are unplugged prior to each cook and get even temps. You may have had some holes clogged. 
    That was the issue, clogged holes due to the fact the grate was placed upside down when I bought it and I didn't catch it. I went to clean it out after the first use and noticed several holes clogged and the saw the grate was placed upside down. I've used it the last two nights camping and it's working great. 

I'm going to do a brisket, steaks, and a pork butt on it this week also. This will be my first brisket, any suggestions? I've done a couple of pork butts on my large but this will be the first on the mini max. 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • Powderhound
    Options
     That is a great question which way is upside down or right side up? 
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • C130
    edited March 2016
    Options
     That is a great question which way is upside down or right side up? 
    It is marked in big letters "this side up". I think it's marked in two places. I found out if it's upside down it won't allow the ashes to fall through the holes. 

I had had replaced my large grate with an aftermarket one when I bought it so never really paid much attention. 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • Powderhound
    Options
     Flat side up or concave side up? 
  • C130
    Options
     Flat side up or concave side up? 
    I believe it's flat side up, I'll double check. With the concave side up it was just filling the holes up with ash and not allowing it to fall through.  
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • Powderhound
    Options
    Thanks. That makes sense now that I think about it. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    KickAshBasket.com
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    C130 said:
    My issue may have just been not paying  attention when I started. I found the grate upside down and guess they installed it upside down and I didn't catch it. Most of the holes were clogged up with ash due to it being upside down. 

I cooked pizza on it tonight and just like my experience on the large it turned out great. I cooked it at a lower temp than my large just because I was trying to not burn it. I put the place setter legs down and put the pizza stone on top of the place setter. 450 dome temp and it took about 12 minutes. Next time I think I'll go right up to 550-600 like I have been doing on my large. 
    Yours was already put together?   Man you missed a few hours of enjoyment!  ahaha  I haven't had that issue w/ mine.  I've only cooked on mine 2xs and haven't done anything but 350 cooks.
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Pizza looks good. I have found the MM is a bit harder for me to regulate than my large Egg.
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • C130
    Options
    Jai-Bo said:
    C130 said:

Yours was already put together?   Man you missed a few hours of enjoyment!  ahaha  I haven't had that issue w/ mine.  I've only cooked on mine 2xs and haven't done anything but 350 cooks.
    Yes, it was already assembled but not sure it's the newest one if they changed them last year. The manager tod me they had not made any changes to the MM and even called the distributer.  This particular dealer does assemble all of the BGE's and will also deliver them for no extra charge. But, they won't negotiate on the price at all but might throw in a bag of charcoal if negotiated. Manager told me they sell over a thousand BGE's a year. 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    C130 said:
    Yes, it was already assembled but not sure it's the newest one if they changed them last year. The manager tod me they had not made any changes to the MM and even called the distributer. 
    The changes were made to the fire ring and conveggtor.
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    @c130, @Eggzellent

Here are the two fire rings.  The shorter fire ring is the new one. The taller ring is the original. 

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ