Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the lump? One place or more?

Options
hey everyone
im a relative novice,I have a large egg and use fire starter squares.so far I take two squares and cut them each into four pieces.my reasoning is by starting the lump in eight spots it would all light even.ive been reading that some start it in the middle only?is that what works best?  Thanks!!

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    for a low fire, you only really need one spot.  a 250 dorm temp won't be achieved with a fire evenly lit across all the lump. temp would be higher with that much lump involved

for other fires, higher temps, sure, light it in more than one spot.

fire follows the oxygen, which (at least in my egg) usually means the fire burns downward.  if i want a true bed of coals across the top, i open the dome and shut the lower vents.  the fire stays on tip because that's where the air is (with dome open)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    Thanks for the tip,I'm gonna try that.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw is on point. For low and slows just one spot is enough, for anything else a few spots are fine. Just add more air and you will be climbing in temperature steadily. 

You our can light one spot and pop the lid open and leave it for a few minutes you will soon have an inferno
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    For l&s definitely one spot only.  I go with the dome and lower vent open til I see around a softball sized volume of lump burning, then shut the dome and adjust the lower vent to about an inch open.  Once within around 50*F of the desired temp (usually around 250*F) shut the lower vent to about 1/4-1/2" open and install the DFMT-petals full open.  Dial it in from there.
    Many ways to get there-bottom -line ease into your desired cook temp-and if the BGE settles in "close" don't chase it.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    Great feedback. Thanks to everyone!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I light mine in four places for every single cook. I've always done it that way. 12, 4, 8 o'clock and center. For anything from 250-900°. I use a torch most of the time. It won't get any hotter than the amount of incoming air will allow. Less chance of a vertical burn and the fire going out too. At least I think so.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    I light mine in four places for every single cook. I've always done it that way. 12, 4, 8 o'clock and center. For anything from 250-900°. I use a torch most of the time. It won't get any hotter than the amount of incoming air will allow. Less chance of a vertical burn and the fire going out too. At least I think so.
    Even when I light in eight places I never have a problem with temperature,my cooks are mostly 220-240,I just keep closing the dampers as the temp increases and that's that,I think il try lighting in four spots also.just use 1 fire starter square
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I've always lit in the center, one place, for all my cooks; don't feel I'm missing anything.   :|  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Botch said:
    I've always lit in the center, one place, for all my cooks; don't feel I'm missing anything.   :|  
    I do the same. 
    War Damn Eagle!
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    One place front of center for 95% of all cooks. You can always open up the lower door to let in more air or use a fan to go nuclear. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I take 3 paper towels with oil on them and light in 3 spots.  Only problem I have had is maybe 2 of them will light and really go and the 3rd will be super slow to get going. No big deal when cooking indirect.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• RMSmithJr
    RMSmithJr Posts: 30
    Options
    Great advice.   My dealer said use three every time. Of course he has a ve$ted interest in return & repeat business. 
    SalemsLot, Maine
    BGE.L since December 2015
    Cabela's model 2007-November 2015
  • Powderhound
    Powderhound Posts: 139
    Options
    I always use two with the Looft Lighter. 
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    for a low fire, you only really need one spot.  a 250 dorm temp won't be achieved with a fire evenly lit across all the lump. temp would be higher with that much lump involved

for other fires, higher temps, sure, light it in more than one spot.

fire follows the oxygen, which (at least in my egg) usually means the fire burns downward.  if i want a true bed of coals across the top, i open the dome and shut the lower vents.  the fire stays on tip because that's where the air is (with dome open)

This brother you should trust.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga