Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Competition

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I posted last. Took on a new position at work and I have extremely busy. Anyway, I entered a local rib contest and was just seeing if anyone had any pointers. I have never done one before but have been thinking about for some time. Any tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Pure Michigan
Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    in general, at competitions, people expect ribs to be sauced.  Blues hog BBQ sauce has a unique flavor that's gone over well on the competition circuit. It's a thinner sauce and provides a sweet glaze to the ribs.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Tell me more about the contest and that will let me know what type of advice to give you. is it a local, fun event with celebrity judges or some sanctioned contest that requires turn in boxes?
  • Sanctioned event with turn in boxes and Kansas City BBQ society judges. Set up is at 7, then a meat inspection. After that we can start cooking. Turn in is at 2
    Pure Michigan
  • Crimsongator
    OK. You will definitely want to garnish. You can search youtube for videos on parsley or lettuce boxes.

As for the product, sweeter is better for KCBS. Like Johnny said, Blues Hog is popular. A mixture of 50/50 regular and red might be good for a first competition. I have had good luck with St Louis cut spares, but they need nearly 5 hours at 275 to get finished.

You will want to practice at least 1 or 2 times before you head over. Try to do things exactly like you would for a contest. The best thing is to write things down and follow that to avoid distractions. 

Oh yeah.....Have fun!
  • I have done a few practice runs and things have turned out good. I like blues hog but was thinking about running EAT sauce. I will be using st.louis cut but I am concerned about time as well. I normally do not foil but think I will for the competition. Should I put anything in the foil during the cook? Honey?
    Pure Michigan
  • Crimsongator
    Some use parkay, butter, honey, brown sugar, apple juice and/or any favorite hot sauce (it is all over the board). I typically allow for 5 hours for SL ribs to get finished at 275* and that includes about an hour of foil time. The trend recently with KCBS if for ribs to be slightly over done. Judges used to want a single bite to be perfect. The latest trend is slightly over done has scored better. Go figure
  • @Crimsongator I appreciate the tips! As I said this is my first event. I am hoping to learn a lot from this one and to have fun. I will let you know how I did. Thanks again!
    Pure Michigan
  • Crimsongator
    If you want, you can pm me your number and we can talk offline. I have competed before and have really enjoyed it.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Stubb's and honey.... Maybe pecan or apple chunks? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I tend to think one enters a BBQ contest to see how his own cooking stacks up against others. So why are you asking others how to cook your ribs? Your ribs that you have perfected may win the whole darn contest, why adjust to other's way of cooking? Take your best shot. Practice your timing. Good luck.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I'm not saying I'm changing everything. Just asking for some pointers is all. Maybe a couple subtle tips might help. I've never been in a competition so I don't know how everything works. I cook for family and friends, from what I'm told cooking for judges is different.
    Pure Michigan
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited March 2016
    Too be honest you might want to stay away from straight Blues Hog sauce. Good chance that your rib is going to taste like the other persons rib who used Blues Hog sauce. Awesome sauce and I buy it in the gallon but I promise you won't be the only one using it at the competition depending on the size. Don't be afraid to try something unique or different. You won't believe how many ribs taste like one another. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    I tend to think one enters a BBQ contest to see how his own cooking stacks up against others. So why are you asking others how to cook your ribs? Your ribs that you have perfected may win the whole darn contest, why adjust to other's way of cooking? Take your best shot. Practice your timing. Good luck.
    Never competed myself but sound advice.
    I would both rather eat and compete with something entirely of my own making to drive others crazy trying to figure out how I just reinvented the category.
    Whether/where I placed or if it was 'deemed' any good until then?..wouldn't matter (to me) as I "did it my way" (sorry, Frank).
  • I'm a KCBS judge and I can tell you fall off the bone ribs will not score well.  Judges are taught that a single bite mark is good and the bone should dry almost immediately. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Crimsongator
    I'm a KCBS judge and I can tell you fall off the bone ribs will not score well.  Judges are taught that a single bite mark is good and the bone should dry almost immediately. 
    I can only speak to trends and I don't know what part of the country you live in. Recently, slightly over cooked has been scoring better than correctly cooked in the Southeast (per your KCBS description)

• Well the Competition was yesterday and it went pretty well. I placed 6th which isn't horrible for my first comp. I did a lot of things right and I am pretty confident I know what I did wrong. All in all I had a really good time and meet some great guys. I will definitely be doing it again. Thanks everyone for the pointers and tips, especially @Crimsongator . I appreciate everything. 
    Pure Michigan
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Awesome work @shadowcaster
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Excellent.  Sounds like a great first outing.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX