Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Pork - Reverse Sear or Regular Sear?

Options
I have a beautiful 5 bone in rack of pork and looking for set up suggestions.  Thinking of indirect at 300 to IT of 125F and then pull the plate setter, get coals going and sear until 140 and take off, rest for 10 and then slice it up to serve.  

While on indirect, fat cap up or down? 

Thoughts? 
Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think your plan sounds solid.  I prefer the reverse sear simply because it is a lot easier to heat an egg up than to cool it down.  I don't think it matters too much with the fat side up or down.  I would go fat side up because it looks like there is more meat on the top side. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Powderhound
    Powderhound Posts: 139
    Options
    I think your plan sounds solid.  I prefer the reverse sear simply because it is a lot easier to heat an egg up than to cool it down.  I don't think it matters too much with the fat side up or down.  I would go fat side up because it looks like there is more meat on the top side. 
    Great info! Thanks much. 
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I cooked 2 this last weekend for the Saldo Eggfest. First time cooking theses as well.
    I did around 300, raised direct to about 135-137 and then rested. No sear. Lots of juice...
    Came out great. Mine were trimmed tight with very little fat cap and thats what I prefer.
    IMO...if you sear hot until you get internal 140, it will carry over to much and be over cooked. You should assume your intial roast time/temp and rest will get you to your desired internal and your sear at the end is hot and fast and only for crust/color.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I just cooked one yesterday.  Raised, indirect at 300 degrees until 140.  It was really good.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Those look phenomenal, photoegg. I agree with that a sear is not needed with rack of pork. I don't know there is anything to gain with a sear and to me only increases the chance you might miss your target internal temp. Whatever you decide and method you use please report back.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Good advise given. My preferred method is a little slower, takes a bit longer, but it is how I do it. 

250'ish dome
    if < 5 lbs cook to 134F internal then pull, and rest 15 mins get egg to about 375-400. After the rest, it should be about 138 by this time, carryover would have finished.  Get the last few degrees at the high temp and gets really crispy crust. 

If over 5 lbs, pull at 130. Larger cut means another degree or two carryover.  Same process.

I make every effort to finish right at 150 for pork. 

Fat cap up - the only reason is for a beautiful presentation.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Powderhound
    Options
    To all, great suggestions and thank you! 
  • Powderhound
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Good advise given. My preferred method is a little slower, takes a bit longer, but it is how I do it. 

250'ish dome
    if < 5 lbs cook to 134F internal then pull, and rest 15 mins get egg to about 375-400. After the rest, it should be about 138 by this time, carryover would have finished.  Get the last few degrees at the high temp and gets really crispy crust. 

If over 5 lbs, pull at 130. Larger cut means another degree or two carryover.  Same process.

I make every effort to finish right at 150 for pork. 

Fat cap up - the only reason is for a beautiful presentation.  
    On a less than 5lb rack how long is your cook? 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You're gonna be pleased. Great selection to start. Keep us posted. 
  • Powderhound
    Options

Photo Egg said:
    I cooked 2 this last weekend for the Saldo Eggfest. First time cooking theses as well.
    I did around 300, raised direct to about 135-137 and then rested. No sear. Lots of juice...
    Came out great. Mine were trimmed tight with very little fat cap and thats what I prefer.
    IMO...if you sear hot until you get internal 140, it will carry over to much and be over cooked. You should assume your intial roast time/temp and rest will get you to your desired internal and your sear at the end is hot and fast and only for crust/color.

What are you using to get your grid raised and what size egg you have in photo. Looks spectacular!  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you very much.
    It was on an Eggfest Large BGE and I brought my Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig. I just used the stock BGE cooking grate on top the Rig.

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/large-big-green-egg/introduction-adjustable-rig/

Rubbed with olive oil and bagged with fresh rosemary and crushed garlic for a few hours. Next time I will do this the night before as was my plan but the pre eggfest party got the best of me...Thank you @BayouMark.
    Then a heavy coat of the rub above "It's My Rub" and rubbed the garlic and rosemary from the bag back on the pork just before tossing on the grill. Also added a little extra good flake salt.
    I rotated and flipped a couple times to keep things even but it seemed to be a very easy forgiving cook. Great Eggfest cook as I was able to prep other things as this cooked.
    The rub is fantastic. They make 2 versions and we love both. They were designed by a couple of great Eggheads who are regulars on this forum and the Texas Eggfest cooking tour.

http://itsmyrub.com

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Powderhound
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Thank you very much.
    It was on an Eggfest Large BGE and I brought my Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig. I just used the stock BGE cooking grate on top the Rig.

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/large-big-green-egg/introduction-adjustable-rig/

Rubbed with olive oil and bagged with fresh rosemary and crushed garlic for a few hours. Next time I will do this the night before as was my plan but the pre eggfest party got the best of me...Thank you @BayouMark.
    Then a heavy coat of the rub above "It's My Rub" and rubbed the garlic and rosemary from the bag back on the pork just before tossing on the grill. Also added a little extra good flake salt.
    I rotated and flipped a couple times to keep things even but it seemed to be a very easy forgiving cook. Great Eggfest cook as I was able to prep other things as this cooked.
    The rub is fantastic. They make 2 versions and we love both. They were designed by a couple of great Eggheads who are regulars on this forum and the Texas Eggfest cooking tour.

http://itsmyrub.com

Awesome Awesome Awesome!  Thank you! 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @Powderhound  1/25/15  I have record of a 3.69lb  and at 260 it took 2:16 to get to 135 Carried over to 140 even.  Looks like I put it on at 450 for only 5 mins for a post rest sear  Post sear temp was not taken. Looks like there was a holdup with the potatoes so it rested 10  mins post sear as well.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Powderhound
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    @Powderhound  1/25/15  I have record of a 3.69lb  and at 260 it took 2:16 to get to 135 Carried over to 140 even.  Looks like I put it on at 450 for only 5 mins for a post rest sear  Post sear temp was not taken. Looks like there was a holdup with the potatoes so it rested 10  mins post sear as well.
    Excellent detail!  Thanks.