Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cutlery

Options
My kitchens is woefully short on every type of cutlery.  I need to bite the bullet and get a nice set of steak knives, knives for prepping trimming and slicing meat and vegetables as well as shears for spatchcocking chicken.  Is there a great set out there that accomplishes all of the above at a reasonable price or is it best to by each piecemeal?

Comments

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    What's a reasonable price for you? I have $300 steak knives and also $40 ones. Kitchen knives can range from $20 to $2000 per knife it's all in what you think is reasonable 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I'm no knife guru (there are plenty here who should be along) but I would not get a set.  Buy a couple of quality kitchen knives to handle all those duties and then if you want a set of steak knives, go for it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1move
    Options
    I have been eyeing these guys but still can't seem to get myself to pull the trigger 

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Look around here.  I have eggspensive $200-300 sushi oriental knives, Henkle but my favorite are regular old carbon steel and some from this manufacture.  If you need a steak set for the guests then go for it, but everyday are some in this area IMO.
    http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/victorinox-kitchen-cutlery
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Dexter knives are not "showy", but are very reasonably priced, and I really like the 4 I have.  If they have what you're looking for, Restaurant Depot has good prices on Dexter.

I agree with @lousubcap in regards to not buying a set.  I purchase knives as I develop an actual use for them.

Phoenix 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Overall, its better to buy piecemeal. That way you can spend a bit more for better knives that you really need, and no more than necessary for lesser used.

At the least, you need a good chef knife, and at least one smaller one. Myself, I have the standard 3, a chef's, petty and parer. Those are used continually. Most people have at least one other special, like a bread knife or a tomato knife. I have a Japanese style called a deba, originally intended to break down bony fish. I use it for poultry and cutting pork skin.

I've never understood why steak knives are so expensive. A good steak should be so tender that it doesn't need much of a blade to cut it. I s'pose it because they are for fine occasions. Still, unless they are really beautiful, $30 apiece should do the job.

If you get some good knives, be sure to have a way to sharpen them. Even the best knives will need maintenance w. use. Good knives require skill to sharpen.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited March 2016
    Options
    knives are very personal.

you will want to maybe hit Williams Sonoma to see what they have so you can try them.  even if it is just to hold them.  they used to have carrots at the place near me where people could try them out.  you're looking for a comfortable grip, balance, weight, whatever feels good in YOUR hand. they will have a wide range.

the german stuff (wusthof, henckles, etc.) are softer stainless, but that is for ease of use and sharpening.  you will need to run them over a steel every time you use them and sharpen (or have them sharpened) maybe once a year. they have a double bevel edge in order to try to keep an edge longer

the curve on the blade of these chef's knives (the german style ones) suits those who learn to chop with a rolling cut, where you keep the tip of the blade on the board and continually roll the blade down to chop

the other side of the spectrum has the japanese and carbon steel blades which hold an edge longer, but are more difficult to sharpen (for the average home DIYer).  they are also tough enough (to hold an edge) that the can get away with a single bevel, a keener edge.  they can stain, like any carbon steel, but that is also to be expected. patina.  you'll see a lot of them with the damascus patterns.  most of those are actually just veneer, for visual effect.  they are based on the very real science of how damscus-type steel is made, and there are a number of high end makers selling real ones, but if you see one for $89, it's likely a stainless steel core with a very thin layer of the damacus pattern

they also tend to have a flatter blade edge, one not as conducive to a rolling chop (or whatever you call it).  it is (for me)more like chopping straight up and down. it's not worse, it's just different.  

it's not a case of what is better. it's what is better FOR YOU.

there are also more economical knives, plastic handles and stamped blades, the kind that many many chefs use in real kitchens.  and they can be damn affordable. dexter-russel, sani-safe, etc.

i learned to use a german knife, and so prefer those.  i tried the wusthof santoku, which has a japanese profile, and found it uncomfortable to use.

as @gdenby says though, don't run out and buy a $600 block of knives.  buy a chef's knife.  then maybe a paring or serrated slicer, as you feel you need them. 

some japanese chefs use nothing but one cleaver.  so sure, you don't "need" any more than one knife.  but again, do what works for you.  "right tools for the job" and all that
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Pghegger
    Pghegger Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all.  Much appreciated.
  • gdenby
    Options
    One thing to note. Older European knives, almost antiques now, and most contemporary Japanese use carbon steel, and are highly reactive. While they will form a patina that reduces corrosion, if not kept clean and dry, the edges will be messed up. If you cut acidic foods, and/or fail to wipe a wet blade down, they most likely will need a re-sharpening. For this reason, most of the knives I use have a stainless cladding protecting a more reactive core.

As @Darby_Crenshaw notes, the cutting style is different. I started w. a Sabatier many years ago. The French blade shape was much flatter than the German style "big bellied" that now seems standard. The nearly flat Japanese shapes were not designed for a rocking cut, but a draw cut, or a shaving downward slice. So I've had no problem using them.

There are some knives which take extreme edges, and do not corrode. There is an older steel formulated by Sandvik around 1905, called AEB-L, that was created for straight razors. Blades made from that are really nice. There are more exotic modern steels that also have edge retention along with stain resistance. Warther cutlery of Pennsylvania now uses a steel named S35VN which has fine qualities.
  • Golfguy77
    Golfguy77 Posts: 93
    Options
    I've been using a MAC chef's knife for about a year.  Paid about $60 for it.  Sharp as hell and still holding its edge.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We've went the "set" route before. Inevitably there are knives in a set I don't like and won't ever use. Nowadays much prefer to buy them individually. Steak knives I'd maybe buy 6-10 of the same for matching set of them....everything else individual purchases. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    concentrate on a 8 to 10 inch chef knife, go try some out and hold them. my preference is an asian style with a sharp 10 dgree bevel, as light as possible, round or D shaped handle. really dont like the german style, heavey knives, with 30 degree bevels. you really have to try them, my global deba has a great blade but my finger has a callous going on 10 years from holding that handle
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    The feel of a knife in your hand gets way to little attention, and is the most idiosyncratic.  Greatest blade on earth, in a handle that 98% of the people love will be a total turkey you will hate to use if you are in the 2%.  That makes shopping for knives difficult.  You really want to touch-and-feel them.  I am a big online shopper, but won't do it with knives.  Research knives? you bet!  Find the makes and models of interest?  Absolutely.  Buy one sight unseen?  no way.  William Sonoma and other high end kitchen stores have among the best  variety in store, but they tend to the higher end knives.  That really helps evaluating a set: you may like the chef's and a paring knife in a set, but find the other 3 just don't feel right to you.  I have a strong preference  high carbon steel knives, which have been out of favor for 20+ years now (stainless...of one type or another rule the American market), but they do exist.  The problem is finding them in a store to touch-and-feel.
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    To echo some of the sentiments above, you should really hold a chefs knife before you buy it.  You want to make sure it fits your hand and you'll be happy with it.

that being said, I own a few Global knifes and am very happy with them.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i agree with above, just buy what you need.  sets have too many you will never use.  i own a santoku, a chefs knife, a slicer, and a pairing knife and this setup suits me well.

as for steak knives i bought two of these on amazon about 7-8 years ago and cant recommend them enough.  still sharp with no rust after all those  years

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RFM0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I would recommend bypassing the sets and getting just the knives you need.  Sets seem to always to include knives you don't really need - to boost price/profit.  For me, the two essential knives for the kitchen are a chef knife and a paring knife.  The others that I use a lot are a boning knife, bread knife, and a long slicer.   Yes, I have others, but these five are the ones I use for almost everything.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    There are times when a set of knives go on sale. Buying the set is not much more than buying a couple of pieces.
  • tonyled
    Options
    Mikee said:
    There are times when a set of knives go on sale. Buying the set is not much more than buying a couple of pieces.
    very true.  we bought my mother in law a nice calphalon set at an outlet mall for a song and dance.  its a great set
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I bought a small set of Wusthof knives about 30 years ago and they have served well. I believe there were only 4 knives in the set and it was a good start. The block had room for 8 knives and a steel so I had room to add as time went on. I would buy a small set like this again. Mine had a Chef's knife, a bread knife, a paring knife, a carving knife and a steel.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    1move said:
    I have been eyeing these guys but still can't seem to get myself to pull the trigger 

You sure you want these? They look a bit beat up. ]:)
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • 1move
    Options
    @MN-Egger I wish they discounted them for that :) no such luck, still $800 for the bigger one. Check out the video, the music is stupid but just watch how well they cut

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @1move FYI that music was amazing 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    FYI - carbon steel does not hold an edge long, but it's easy to sharpen and you can easily get it extremely sharp.  And they're not expensive.  However, they rust and thus need to be cleaned and dried soon after use, not just thrown in the sink soup of dirty dishes.
    Options
    For our wedding my wife and I got a high end block of knives. For a while I really liked them. Today I only use one of them and it actually didn't come included with the set but was an after market purchase for it. It's a Nakiri knife which I prefer over a chefs knife when cutting veggies. It's pretty sturdy so I can use it if I don't quite need the cleaver. The only knives I use now for food prep are my Forschner butcher knives that run about $25-$35 each at a restaurant supply store. As for steak knives I use the cheap ones that came with our silverware unless company is over them I grab the ones from the block. 

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I can't argue against buying only the knives needed, however, in my situation, I had no good kitchen knives, so following the recommendation of  SGH,  I got this set of Victorinox on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA3C5MI/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=
    I was really only looking to buy a granton slicer and a good chefs knife.  I looked at buying those two separately at several kitchen stores.  Found I could buy this entire set for the same or less and get the extra pieces for "free".  I have since added another boning knife and a breaking knife.  Until I become much more skilled, I think these will serve me well.  Then I may want to begin collecting higher end, speciality knives that serve a particular purpose.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• gdenby
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    I can't argue against buying only the knives needed, however, in my situation, I had no good kitchen knives, so following the recommendation of  SGH,  I got this set of Victorinox on amazon:
      Until I become much more skilled, I think these will serve me well.  Then I may want to begin collecting higher end, speciality knives that serve a particular purpose.  
    Cook's Illustrated has consistently rated the Forshner Fibrox chef's as the best performance for the price. They take a good edge, and hold it fairly well. For me the plus of that set would be the steel. Essential for maintenance.

As mentioned up-thread, nakiri style knives are great for cutting vegetables. The "Kiwi" brand goes for less than $10, comes near razor sharp, and will stay that way for months w. daily use.
  • tonyled
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    I was really only looking to buy a granton slicer and a good chefs knife.  I looked at buying those two separately at several kitchen stores.  Found I could buy this entire set for the same or less and get the extra pieces for "free".  I have since added another boning knife and a breaking knife.  Until I become much more skilled, I think these will serve me well.  Then I may want to begin collecting higher end, speciality knives that serve a particular purpose.  
    if i were to buy a set that would be it.  those are all pretty functional and not a lot of fluff.  great price too
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I have a couple of Forschners that I added to my set. They have worked well for me also. I believe you have made a good choice for a first set of knives. They will suffice for many years. I actually prefer the handles on those to my Wusthoff classics, the larger grip works better since my arthritis has gotten worse over the years.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I bought a small set of Wusthof knives about 30 years ago and they have served well. I believe there were only 4 knives in the set and it was a good start. The block had room for 8 knives and a steel so I had room to add as time went on. I would buy a small set like this again. Mine had a Chef's knife, a bread knife, a paring knife, a carving knife and a steel.
    This is what I did too, except it was a set of 3 Henckel's Four-Star, which fit my big hands better.  Good sale right before Mother's Day (your timing is excellent, but make sure to pick up a little something for wifey too   =) ).  

Then, every year after that, right before Mother's Day, I'd buy one more knife to add to the block; set was completed years ago.  I use them all (boning knife, bread knife, tomato knife, kitchen shears, long slicing knife) except the santuka, it doesn't really get used.  

According to Cook's Illustrated most if not all European manufacturers have now gone to the narrower, Japanese-style angle.  I've purchased a Chef'sChoice electric sharpener which has one wheel designed to knock down a 20-degree angle to 15, but have yet to take the plunge; I plan on leaving the heavier of my two chef's knives at the original 20-degree angle, as I use it solely for hacking through bones and squash, and it hasn't needed resharpening yet.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Give this site a look. It is a chef ware site....but choose the cutlery link. I purchased a set for my daughter and she and her husband have been very pleased with them. They want break the bank either. https://www.happychefuniforms.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwq6m3BRCP7IfMq6Oo9gESJACRc0bNB7gt9x_ab3z2dmM8HPOK4C4G1ik8mRRe795PKG0iNxoC-G3w_wcB
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow