Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is a pork shank?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I came across a cut of meat in my local market labeled "pork shank". It had a bone in it and from the amount of marbelling it had it looked like it would be great fot the BGE.[p]Is anybody familiar with this cut of meat?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    NB,
    Shanks are the ankles or legs of a hog. Not my favorite cuts.[p]Tim

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    NB,[p]Pork shank is the lower leg of the pig cut crosswise to produce rounds with a bone in the middle. The same cut on a cow is used for Osso Bucco. The meat tends to be a bit tough. Braising is the cooking method commonly used.[p]I've never tried the pork shank, but the cow is quite a treat.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    Maybe good for soup eh??
    BTW, this particular NB is not me!
    Have a good one. Gettin ready to hit the road for West by-god.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Never had it on the Egg but I had Osso Bucco at my mom's house last week when I went back to St Louis to visit. Like Spin said, the beef shanks is what she made them with. She cooked them for a long time in a dutch oven and a lot of sauce to tenderize them. It's got a strong taste to the meat - not bad - different![p]Pork shanks are tough and in a soup would be the best place for them, I agree with you there.
    Have fun in Wva. Do you think of "Deliverance" everytime you go there??[p]Tim

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Deliverance? Why that would be Nawth Jawja Tim! Squeal! Squeal!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    I love that movie! My folks live in the panhandle of WV which aint so backwoods. The area we go camping in the Allegheny mountains is a different story.....same feeling as the Deliverance setting though!! See if you can find Durbin WV on a map...in the east central part. That town is RAW![p]WV was a blast...the lamb and prime rib were awesome cooked on Junior, per JJ at 350. I put the prime rib on about 20 minutes after the lamb, and they were done at the same time! Mom made a killer potato casserole. Pumpkin pie and fresh made whipped cream for dessert.[p]Hope you had a great weekend.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ