Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or Medium size

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about purchasing an Egg. I am not sure what size however and if the size has any effect on the quality of the product. The largest thing I would cook would be a 10lb turkey breast. I do however often cook up to 8 chicken pieces at a time. Can I get by with a Medium or should I get the large? Does the large require more lump charcoal or do they use about the same? Thanks GeorgeP

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />GeorgeP, if you can afford the large, go for it! Check out the link, I have a medium and all the pictures and recipes were done on it - but then, I seldom cook for more than 2. Either one would be great! :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    GeorgeP,
    I agree with Gordon. However, here is another idea. A lot of us have two eggs. I do so that I can do say pulled pork and baked beans at once at two different temperatures. Buy two a large or a medium and a smaller egg. Whatever you purchase hours of enjoyment and great eating are ahead of you. By the way toss of BGE cookbook out and post all questions on this forum. This forum is the place for the answers.
    Fireball

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    I purchased a large egg. If I had it to do over again, i might purchase a medium. If my dad were to purchase an egg, he would DEFINITELY want a medium. He is always cooking only for two or 3 people. There is no real difference in charcoal cost or quality of cook between the two, the main difference is you can get larger cuts into the big with greater ease. However, and here is why I might buy a medium, since you can tier your cooking, and since you are able to jam things into the egg and MAKE them fit, you can probably get by and save yourself a little money with a medium. When I decided to buy, I ran the numbers and decided I was being penny wise and pound foolish not to go ahead and get the large. I am very happy with the big, but I think I might be just as happy with a medium.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    GeorgeP,
    Buy the Large! I bought the large one first and have since become the proud owner of a Mini. I still would like to add a medium or a small to my line up. Usually there's just the little woman and me so I use the Mini but on weekends when the family descends I fire up the Large. Having a medium would allow a lot of versatility...Pulled Pork on the LArge and Wings etc. on the other.
    My side-kick Coot got the medium and wishes now he had gone the few extra bucks for the LArge.[p]Carey