Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pastrami

Options
I've seen so many good looking pastramis here that when I walked by the meat case with all the corned beef brisket flats yesterday, I impulsively bought one.  Soaked for 12 hours only since it was an impulse buy, but I changed the water 3 times so hoping that will help with the salt.

I rubbed using Thirdeye's recipe and wrapped in plastic overnight.  Just put it on the egg a minute ago with post oak at about 300 dome.

Hoping it turns out well.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have a couple RR on way from SRF this week. Gonna pop that one self next weekend.  Will be looking up Thirdeye's rub for sure.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Right with you today!  Mine went on at noon and is smelling so yummy
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Are you incorporating a steaming for the final cook? I normally see pastrami recipes call for a smoke and then a steam.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Standing by!

Options
    Taking longer than anticipated...5 hrs in and still at 162.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Finally pulled it at 170 when it passed the toothpick test.  Rested for about an hour and then sliced.

Amazing.  I will be doing this again.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Looks great!!  How tender ?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options
    I did the same thing today, only because I received an email with a recipe.
    I took a corned beef brisket flat and rinsed it well soaked it for around four hours  rinsed it again and let it soak all night.
    I rinsed it again this morning and then rubbed it with dijon mustard and a brisket rub I had on hand from tastylicks.
    I had a couple of chunks of mesquite and used one of them.
    I got my egg to 230 per the recipe and let it go.
    The temp rose a bit but never above 270ish.
    The recipe said 4 to 6 hours and called for wrapping it after 4 hours.
    I checked it at 4 hours and it probed nice and the it was 210 so I pulled it.
    I had some family over that werent staying for dinner so I ftc d it and waited for a couple hours grilled up some chicken for my finicky ladies and sliced the brisket.
    The small end was really done but not so much that you couldnt eat it.
    The only complaint I have is that the dijon mustard gave ita slightly different taste, not bad just different.
    The recipe called for mixing up a dipping sauce of 1 part bbq sauce and 1 part dijon mustard.
    I felt like that might be too much.
     ill try and postsome pics

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Mine came out with great flavor, but heavy and dry as clay. I'm thinking the actual piece of meat itself might have been too tough. I have two more desalinating to try again Tuesday. 
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Tenderness was great....one of the best things I've ever made on the egg.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Reubens for dinner tonight.  Damn.

• shadowcaster
    Options
    I did one on saturday night and it came out great. First one and it won't be the last 
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Reubens for dinner tonight.  Damn.

Love a pastrami ruben.......beautiful sandwhich right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
     You guys are killin me!  Beautiful cooks.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    bgebrent said:
     You guys are killin me!  Beautiful cooks.
    +1 ^^^^^^^^ What he said.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    atta-boy!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    I have 2 waiting to go as well. Great cook!
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max