Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I start my brisket journey with a flat?

Options
I've done a few pork butts now and I feel comfortable enough with temp control to maybe start thinking about brisket. Can I start the learning process with a flat from Costco or should I really just start with whole packers?

LBGE in PHX

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I do nothing but flats and love em, but mostly because it's harder to find whole packers.  Nothing wrong with doing flats.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    If you have easy access to packers, I would go that route but if all you can get are flats, then give it a go.  Any brisket cook is a great cook.  Many thread topics addressing brisket cooks.  Just add egghead forum to a google query and you will find more than enough to keep you reading for a long time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Flats are great!
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cooking brisket isn't something you learn to do in stages; the flat by itself is a harder cook than the whole packer. If you have access to a whole packer by all means go that route. 

That said, if you don't access to packers, then cook what you can get :)

New Orleans LA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Just don't buy any little baby ones. Ive attempted a couple that were less than 5lbs with iffy at best results. Keeping the moisture is the hardest part. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you can find a packer I would get one and have leftovers.  I have had flats turn out okay but never felt I had a home run with one.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    with flats i play it safe and cook a flat with a butt above it. if the flats good i freeze the butt, if the flats not so good the brisket gets made into the next chili batch. another option is pulled beef from the center of a chuck roll =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Packer on tonight... 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    Just found whole 12.5 lb packers at Walmart for $36. I'm happy. 

LBGE in PHX

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Just found whole 12.5 lb packers at Walmart for $36. I'm happy. 
    Great.. Please post the cook as I am also a novice on brisket cooks.. Good luck and enjoy.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Start however you like! After reading Aaron Franklin's book, I'm convinced that you can read, watch, and talk all you want, but just get cooking and have fun. 

Flats can turn out dry, but if it's a little dry u can add a little sauce and it's great again. Super dry? Then chili it is!!

Have fun and cook what and when you can. Enjoy!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Great score- I would offer that you give the Aaron Franklin video on "the Brisket" and "The Payoff" a look.  Definitely simplifies the whole trim and slice process.
    Wherever you land-cut a notch cross-grain in the end of the flat before you start the cook.  That way when the meteorite is finished, you have your slicing direction.  Beyond that, lots of brisket threads around here.  Just add egghead forum to your query and you will be more than set up with information.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    don't overthink the first cook....block and tackle...then let her rip tater chip...keep it simple and you will have some great eats....beside left overs is what they make baked beans and chili for,,,

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC