Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf and Burnwd up BBQ Dragon, %@!#:!

Options
Well I was in a hurry to get a fire going to cook a meatloaf by 5 and burned up my BBQ Dragon.  I forgot to open the bottom vent and when I came back after 5 minutes or more the flames were around the can part.  The insides are all melted.  I may try to attach a hair dryer to the clip.  I did like it helped get The fire going faster.

The meatloaf is fine and went on at 4.  It will be good I bet.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    Devastating indeed!

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Devastating indeed!
    At least it was only the Dragon and not something else.  The nice day helps me get over it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.  What is a BBQ Dragon??

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Ouch!  Like you said though, glad it was nothing else.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options

Like he said. 
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Oh yes, you are truly a member of the human race ... to error is human!  Thanks for the smile this afternoon.  And, for reminding me that I'm in good company.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    At least you know its dead.  No time wasted trying to fix it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ladeback69
    Options

It is a fan that runs on batteries to help get your fire going faster. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FPZY92A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1457741845&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=bbq+dragon

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. With that said that is the very reason I went with the cheaper less powerful hand held FiAir unit with the dead man button. If you're not standing right there using it it isn't blowing. I've had too many times I walk away and get involved with something else - apparently like you did today. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Here was the final product of the meatloaf and there is leftover's. :)

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    You're supposed to put the dragon pointed in the lower draft door.  Did you have it above the fire?  If that's the case, doesn't matter whether the dead door was open or not, fire goes up!

If you need another one, I have a couple left in inventory.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    On a positive note the meatloaf is looking good!  

FWIW I find it works great clipped to the nest blowing through the bottom vent like @stlcharcoal .  Honestly though I usually don't even bother clipping it.  I just stand there with it for a minute or so and that is enough.  I am afraid to walk away for too long and come back to find a 900 degree egg. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    You're supposed to put the dragon pointed in the lower draft door.  Did you have it above the fire?  If that's the case, doesn't matter whether the dead door was open or not, fire goes up!

I've used on the bottom vent before, but it really didn't help much in speeding up getting to temp.  I have been using it clipped to the side before and blowing on the fire, but this time I walked away and forgot about it.  

@stlcharcoal, I don't think I will replace it, just chalk it up to lesson learned.  I will go back to a hair dryer maybe.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options

I recall seeing an official BBQ Dragon video a couple years ago where they were comparing their gizmo with a couple of other lighting methods and they used the Dragon clipped to the side of a Weber Kettle pointing down onto the briquettes.

Can't see why clipping the Dragon to the side of a kamado would be much different.  If one really bent the head way down into the kamado right over the lump I can see where that might be problematic but otherwise it should be ok.

Pointing it into the bottom vent seems to defeat the purpose of the Dragon as that will diffuse the airflow a lot since much of the airflow is going to go along the outside of the firebox and have no effect on the coals.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    Options

I've used on the bottom vent before, but it really didn't help much in speeding up getting to temp.  

Did you have the lid closed?  It's hard to believe because it cuts my time in half.  I blast from above with a weed burner for about 30-60 seconds, leave the lid open as I go get the Dragon, clip it to the nest & angle it into the draft door, then close the lid.  5-6 minutes tops to have a 12" flame shooting out the top of the Egg.

BTW, you going to be at the KC BBQ Source party next month??  I'm thinking about coming out there for it.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

It is a fan that runs on batteries to help get your fire going faster. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FPZY92A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1457741845&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=bbq+dragon

Faster cuts into cocktail time 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ladeback69
    Options

I've used on the bottom vent before, but it really didn't help much in speeding up getting to temp.  

Did you have the lid closed?  It's hard to believe because it cuts my time in half.  I blast from above with a weed burner for about 30-60 seconds, leave the lid open as I go get the Dragon, clip it to the nest & angle it into the draft door, then close the lid.  5-6 minutes tops to have a 12" flame shooting out the top of the Egg.

BTW, you going to be at the KC BBQ Source party next month??  I'm thinking about coming out there for it.
    I want to be, but my son is going to be competing in his first Taekwondo tournament.  If it is over before they close I will drop by.  They say Fasdt Eddie isd going to be with his big Cook Shack smoker.  It would be nice to meet you, the folks at KC BBQ Sorce are great to work with and treast everyone like family.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I've used my dragon both ways as well. You just need to keep the unit off to the side if you use it on top. I keep the blower outside the footprint of the egg and direct the act toward the fire. I attach the clamp to the eggmates. The lower vent is obviously safer. Either way, it is a great little trick. Wonderful for searing or when transitioning from lower temps to higher temps during various cooks. I'm just glad there wasn't any "real" damage done. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I use mine for my wood stove too.  If it was quieter, it wouldn't be bad to clip to the table or lawn chair as a personal fan!
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

I want to be, but my son is going to be competing in his first Taekwondo tournament.  If it is over before they close I will drop by.  They say Fasdt Eddie isd going to be with his big Cook Shack smoker.  It would be nice to meet you, the folks at KC BBQ Sorce are great to work with and treast everyone like family.
    Yeah come by if you can.  Bring the boy and I'll teach some krav maga!  Just got my yellow belt a few months ago.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I recall seeing an official BBQ Dragon video a couple years ago where they were comparing their gizmo with a couple of other lighting methods and they used the Dragon clipped to the side of a Weber Kettle pointing down onto the briquettes.

Can't see why clipping the Dragon to the side of a kamado would be much different.  If one really bent the head way down into the kamado right over the lump I can see where that might be problematic but otherwise it should be ok.

Pointing it into the bottom vent seems to defeat the purpose of the Dragon as that will diffuse the airflow a lot since much of the airflow is going to go along the outside of the firebox and have no effect on the coals.
    Pointing in the bottom vent is how I do it.  No risk to melt that way.  It gets the egg going like a rocket in no time. 

Options
    paqman said:
    HeavyG said:

Pointing in the bottom vent is how I do it.  No risk to melt that way.  It gets the egg going like a rocket in no time. 
    Do you use the standard BGE coal grate or do you have a HighQ or Kick Ash Basket or similar?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @HeavyG Just the standard grate

Options
    Never turn your back to a breathing dragon!