Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using an Egg everyday

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At my summer house, I have a large green egg which I love. At my regular house, I have an older metal smoker and a (gasp) gas grill. Both the smoker and the grill are onntheir last days. My son correctly points out that we should just buy another large green egg to replace the two. My wife likes teh convenience of using gas especially for a quick light in the winter (I am in Massachusetts). Any good suggestions for my son and I to use to get the egg instead of a new gas grill? [p]Have a nice weekend.

Comments

• SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    rockportman,[p]i love my egg... but i gotta say, the gasser has it's place on my porch as well.[p]that said... i say get a cheapo gasser since it's only used a small ammount of the time and get the egg as well. that way your wife is happy about having the gasser but not pissed at the wads of $$ spent.[p]jmho though.[p]i got myself a cheapo gasser at lowes for 170 bucks. it was rated the best grill in that price range by CR. granted, it's not a super gasser by any means... it serves its purpose for those time when you just wanna quicky grill something up without first dealing with lump.

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    rockportman,
    I have no use for a gasser at all. In fact after two cooks with the egg I actually threw my Weber gas grill out on the pile with the Katrina rubble.
    The BGE is just as easy to use as gas grills, the 20 extra minutes that it takes to be ready to cook is worth every second.
    Your son is one smart kid!
    Just the other day I saw all the gassers lined up at Home-Cheapo, and I felt bad for the poor saps that were buying them.
    Guess I'm a Ceramic cooker snob :-)[p]

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    rockportman,[p]Three years ago we moved from South Florida to the Chicago 'burbs. I used a gasser for 17 years in FL, cooking out of doors most days because we loved it and didn't want to heat the house while two five ton AC units burned through our bucks.[p]Habituated to grilling as I was, I used the gasser all thru our first Chicago winter. The thin metal transmitted heat to the surrounding air so rapidly that I couldn't cook well on it. It was really frustrating.[p]Bought the Egg in the autumn of the following year, and haven't used the gasser since.[p]Nowdays in the winter I cut my outdoor cooking down to 3 or 4 times per week. In weather like we are having now? Well, it's 7 nites/week, unless we have to go out with friends (I've become asocial. I'd rather Egg at home and scratch a coupla dobie bellies!).[p]You have a choice, but to me, anything but an Egg for your purposes garners scant consideration.[p]DD
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    SirKeats, What could you possibly want to grill without dealing with the lump? Me and the lump enjoy dealing with each other.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    rockportman,
    point out that as far as convenience goes, in the winter, you'll be the one lighting the egg anyway.[p]besides.
    if you are a foodie, you eat what is good, rather than what is convenient.[p]"convenient" is a poptart.[p]your son seems to be pretty sharp. get the egg

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EGGlomaniac
    Options
    rockportman,[p] i kinda agree with going with a cheap-o gas grill, BUT ONLY, if you can get another egg too. no self-respecting deck or backyard should be without an egg!!! LOL
    the gas grill does has it's place,,such as when you have a big cookout and the kids only want hot dogs or burgers. this way you can whip those up quick while preparing the meal everyone will be talking about tomorrow!!!

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    stike,[p]I don't think I've ever heard such a well-reasoned, tightly argued, perfectly presented factoid. You hit every element on-target! I stand in awe of your Yankee logic (and this comes from someone whose Yankee roots go as far back as such roots go . . .)
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    stike,
    Is every other dy ok?

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    rockportman,
    Seems like the odds are in your favor.I have a home at the ocean in Fenwick Island.But at home I cook all year long at home in Baltimore.Like 400 lbs. of lump from April till January.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    rockportman,
    I set up the egg so all Diane has to do is light the lump when I'm not around. She opens the dome, lights the lump, closes the dome and in the time it takes to make a salad and prep the porkchops the egg is ready to cook. As far as winter cooks, the egg vastly outperformes the gassers. Buy a medium egg and give it to her as a gift, she will like the size, as if it was made for her..... Just a thought.[p]Good luck![p]

• BasementDwellingGeek
    Options
    rockportman,

The 'K' competitor offers a gas option ceramic cooker. I have no personal experience but it's something to consider.

rb