Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - building my own upright smoker

2»

Comments

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    YukonRon said:
    I swear these folks could tell you how to rewire a flux capacitor to enhance the Hadron Nuclear Particle Accelerator. I will stick to my BGE. Y'all are a dozen pay grades above my feeble mind resources.

Don't get me wrong, I love my egg and it was not until I built my offset stick burner that I realized how EASY and "set it and forget it" the egg is.  The egg was my first real bbq/grill.  But, sometimes I feel like playing with fire and babysitting a pit all day.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    busmania said:
    YukonRon said:
    I swear these folks could tell you how to rewire a flux capacitor to enhance the Hadron Nuclear Particle Accelerator. I will stick to my BGE. Y'all are a dozen pay grades above my feeble mind resources.

Don't get me wrong, I love my egg and it was not until I built my offset stick burner that I realized how EASY and "set it and forget it" the egg is.  The egg was my first real bbq/grill.  But, sometimes I feel like playing with fire and babysitting a pit all day.
    Just having some fun. I had built a couple in my time in the service, with some "liberated surplus" metal, so we could cook some "liberated surplus" beef, pork and chicken. Something about smoked BBQ, that makes the worst of times, just a little bit better.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • busmania
    YukonRon said:
      Something about smoked BBQ, that makes the worst of times, just a little bit better.

Add a beer in hand and life is just about perfect!

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited March 2016
    busmania said:
    Thanks @Thatgrimguy, the grease is indeed an issue I have yet to figure out in my head.  It definitely cannot be allowed to pool on the heat deflector plates cause it will burn/smoke.  Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the old country bbq's.  However, I am not seeing any wood fired vertical units in their inventory?  Link perhaps?
    Here is a great review. Do you have Academy near you. They keep them in inventory here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223278

This thread reviews his issue with grease burning

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223308
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • busmania
    busmania said:
    Thanks @Thatgrimguy, the grease is indeed an issue I have yet to figure out in my head.  It definitely cannot be allowed to pool on the heat deflector plates cause it will burn/smoke.  Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the old country bbq's.  However, I am not seeing any wood fired vertical units in their inventory?  Link perhaps?
    Here is a great review. Do you have Academy near you. They keep them in inventory here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223278

This thread reviews his issue with grease burning

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223308

boom baby.  That just helped me visualize several aspects of this project.  More to come in the coming weeks.  I'm getting excited.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited March 2016
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    YukonRon said:

@YukonRon, my thoughts exactly.  I have a vertical and an offset and I can make very good food on each of them but I'll probably never grasp the sort of stuff that the really handy people on this forum understand/build/fix/design/etc.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX