Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Camping with Family

Options
13»

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    One thought while you have young kids is to find one campground you really like, buy a used larger trailer and have it set up on a seasonal site.  No towing.  Minimal packing.   All your bedding, dishes, couple changes of clothes, etc are all there.  It is always set up and ready to go.  You can get seasonal sites for anywhere between $2,000 and $5,000 per year, depending on where you go.  Campgrounds around here cater to the kids on the weekends with crafts, games, ice cream etc.  As your kids get older, you can then explore more campgrounds as the kids become helpers in the whole process.

Packing a pop-up for a weekend trip and unpacking when you come home is a lot of work.  It becomes a huge pain if rain is involved at any point.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I never found that packing a pop-up for a weekend trip to be a lot of work.  It was quite easy and only took a few minutes.  Unpacking the same.  I really liked that it was ready to go without a lot of fuss.

Rain does throw a damper on things if you had to fold up the camper wet.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I never found that packing a pop-up for a weekend trip to be a lot of work.  It was quite easy and only took a few minutes.  Unpacking the same.  I really liked that it was ready to go without a lot of fuss.

Rain does throw a damper on things if you had to fold up the camper wet.
    I agree.  When I pull in at home, most of the work is done already.  It is nice to have a dedicated garaged truck.  I empty the coolers, and keep them, along with the grill, chairs etc loaded in the truck for next time.  And when next time comes, all I have to do is grab mine and my son's dedicated camping clothes bags, fill the coolers, hook up, and go.  It is work, but if you streamline the process, and manage your time, it's not bad at all.  

Some of my cousins are lazy ass campers, and that's fine.  They like the high priced annual lot fee, that seems to go up every year, and being micromanaged and watched by the owners, buying their overpriced "ash borer free" firewood.  We like going where we want, bringing our own wood, being free.  Part of the fun IMO, is exploring new campsites, fishing holes, trails, etc.  Loud Thunder has a nice archery target course.     

Rain will damper any camping experience, tent, pup, TT, to 5er.  All you have to do is raise it up a couple of days later, then close it up.  10 minutes tops, each time.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    edited March 2016
    Options
    To the OP....for the weekend jaunts your're contemplating it should be a blast...lots of good advice already enjoy your trips.

My sister & husband spent 6 months out west camping in a popup...had a great time...biggest negatives..you can hear every sound, if it is windy lots of sand will migrate in, any campfires around you'll get to smell them all night long and of course the trips to the bath houses....

Our kids are grown up now so we purchased a 5th wheel and couldn't be happier .... use to keep them in our backyard but BIL purchased 350 ac in north Fl...poured a few RV slabs with full hook ups so we keep it up there...this is our 3rd one....GL

t2.jpg 45.3K
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    This has nothing to do with Egging, other than the strong likelihood I'll purchase a 2nd, smaller Egg for travelling.  I am married, 3 kids: 6,3 and 1 yr old.  We love having them, and have a lot of fun.  However, we often find ourselves not going places on the weekends because it's difficult with 3 small kids.   We also realize this is temporary.  Lately, we've been discussing the possibility of getting a small pull behind camper/rv, like a nice pop up, where we can store it in our garage or basement, and take spontaneous trips to the mountains for short camping trips.   It seems like a good way to take short vacations with kids, let them have fun and not spend thousands of dollars everytime we leave home for a few nights.   We're a few hours from north GA, North Carolina and the Great Smoky Mountains.   So, we have plenty to do fairly close.   Plus, I love fly fishing for trout.  So, it would give me an avenue to take the camper occasionally, stay overnight and be beside a stream in the morning.  
    I'm asking here because the guys on this board seem to be very like-minded and have a lot of the same interests.   Anyone who has camped like this with families, is it reasonable, or fun, to camp in a roomy pop up with 3 small kids?   Are there any secluded places to camp in state and national parks?  I would love to pull into a spot in the Smokies and not feel like I'm in a makeshift trailer park.   Not trying to be uppity, but I've never looked at the stereotypical RV campground as very appealing.   There seem to be some fairly remote, nice places to camp with smaller pull behinds, though, like Cloudland Canyon and Vogel State Park locally.  This seems like a way for us to get away, let our kids play and run, enjoy ourselves (and our children) and not spend a ton of money doing so.   It also allows me the opportunity to teach my kids about the outdoors, introduce them to camping and start building an appreciation for nature.  So, there are a lot of positives.   3 worn out kids in a small trailer can turn into a negative, though :-).  Just looking for advice, support, recommendations, other things to think about.

This is the type camper I'm considering:  http://youtu.be/_T7KSH4DDl0 .  A neighbor has one just like this and loves it.  They go with their 2 kids all the time.  It has heating/air, an internal shower, external wash-off shower, toilet, 2 king beds and a full bed pull out.    And it stores in their basement garage.   So, it's always ready to go.  Sorry for the book....and thanks for any input you can provide.  
    Why don't you come to the GA Mt. Eggfest May 13th and 14th, camp out at the GA Mt. Fairgrounds at a big discount, walk to the fest and purchase your traveling egg at a big discount? The perfect solution to all your problems!!
    http://www.mountainegg.com/
  • 55drum
    Options
    Why don't you come to the GA Mt. Eggfest May 13th and 14th

Good suggestion...you'll have a blast...
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I really want to go.  I also meant to go last year, and something came up....baseball with my oldest son, I think.   This year, a nephew is graduating from UGA on that Saturday, so I have to stay in town.   I really want to make that Eggfest.   It sounds like a blast.  
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • noarmysargent
    Options
    Focker said:
    Glad I have an 8yr old country boy, and hang out with ladies who don't even care about that kind of stuff.  My leftover urinals from back surgery work great.  The ladys who have stayed are ok with it, and know they have to walk a short distance to facilities, or cop a squat, if necessary.   Had one chick in mid-conversation step aside and cop squat right there in front of everybody. lol 

If there's one in the chamber, we have our own Charmin.  It has been confirmed, a bear does sh!t in the woods in Prophetstown, IL.  Have left alot of wolf bait out at my huntin spot Lot 2 parking lot.  Seemed like clockwork when I pulled in at 0400, duty called when I started to gear up with Carhartt bibs, camo, harness, and parka on.  Which I preferred, over waiting until I was tethered in 20ft up in my tree.  

Have also fertilized a few cornfields on RAGBRAI.  Kept Charmin in the backpack.   

Half the time I urinate in my own backyard, conserves water.

All of this glampin' takes away from the experience.  Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, rough it a little, and be human. 
    Can't hide class...
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Focker said:
    Glad I have an 8yr old country boy, and hang out with ladies who don't even care about that kind of stuff.  My leftover urinals from back surgery work great.  The ladys who have stayed are ok with it, and know they have to walk a short distance to facilities, or cop a squat, if necessary.   Had one chick in mid-conversation step aside and cop squat right there in front of everybody. lol 

If there's one in the chamber, we have our own Charmin.  It has been confirmed, a bear does sh!t in the woods in Prophetstown, IL.  Have left alot of wolf bait out at my huntin spot Lot 2 parking lot.  Seemed like clockwork when I pulled in at 0400, duty called when I started to gear up with Carhartt bibs, camo, harness, and parka on.  Which I preferred, over waiting until I was tethered in 20ft up in my tree.  

Have also fertilized a few cornfields on RAGBRAI.  Kept Charmin in the backpack.   

All of this glampin' takes away from the experience.  Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, rough it a little, and be human. 
    Can't hide class...
    LMAO!!!!    Even though I'm an old country boy and understand Focker completely, "That's funny, I don't care who you are!"

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Focker said:

That's a bit of an overshare there. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I've camped since I was a boy scout. We family camped frequently with the kids. At age 8 my youngest daughter started riding on the back of the motorcycle and we tent camped from outer banks to Mesa Verde over the next few years.
    I cannot imagine camping in a large RV although years ago I did own a Westy. It was nice, but I still prefer a tent. The grandchildren also love the camp in a tent. We just don't do it enough.
    National forests, of which north GA, western NC and east TN have an abundance, offer camping in established campgrounds and any place other than a food plot or a marked no camping area. Smokey mountain camping is in established campsites only.
    GA state parks are clean and with our senior family pass we have free admission for a year and pay a discounted camping fee. The parks are clean with nice restrooms, but they have small sites frequently without a buffer between the next site. Alabama is the worst with FL close behind. You can hold a conversation with the people in the next site without raising your voice.
    RVs are noisy with air conditioners and sometimes generators running.
    If I am going to stay inside while camping, I can sit in my living room without the commute.
    National forest campgrounds tend to have larger sites and some buffer between sites. Even here, there are generators and dogs barking. The AT, BMT or other trails offer a way to get away in some sections, but your kids are probably a little young for this right now.
    KOA type camping is again not my idea of fun.
    Renting a camping cabin or yurt in a park is a cheap way to see if you like the experience, but again your own tent will be nicer.

Bob

A very opinionated camper
    Cooking on the coast
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Agree 100%.   I'll take my boys tent camping and hiking plenty over the course of their childhood.  I've tent camped consistently since college.   But, the camper is more about us getting out of the house regularly on the weekends and taking trips as a family while they are young.  I'd like to use it once a month, at least, for weekend trips or 3-4 night trips.   I'm even considering a hybrid travel trailer, after looking.  Most often, even in a campground, I'll most likely set up a tent and sleep in it with my boys.  So, considering a more adept camper for more trips has crossed my mind.  

Athens, GA
  • C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've done the tent camping and while I enjoyed it I hope I'm done with it. My kids experienced it with me which is more than most kids ever do. 

I love our RV and yes it's ridiculously large by most people's standards but I can experience the outdoors with my family and still have most of the comforts of home. I like staying out for at least a week and two weeks at least once or twice a year. We are camping now for spring break. We'll be traveling for most of June again this year.  Nothing wrong with a tent but I don't care if I ever sleep in one again.  

Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • Mayberry
    Options
    I don't mind tent camping.  Love it.  I thought the pop up would be the perfect solution.  I may have confused myself further this weekend.  The wife and I drove around looking this weekend and mistakenly walked into a new hybrid travel trailer.  She fell in love and, I hate to admit, I may have too.   That thing was awesome.   Still considering the highwall Rockwood, but with 3 growing kids, my fear is we will quickly outgrow it.  
    This is all new to me, though.  I've only camped in a tent before.  It seems like we would want to take the HTT more places, more often.   But, I worry about not being able to get the larger hybrid in as many remote places as a highwall pop up.   I could use some experienced feedback on this. I've towed large equipment (backhoes, trenchers, tractors, etc) plenty in my life, so pulling a trailer isn't the issue. I'm more concerned with will I be restricted in camping locations in the hybrid vs the pop up?  Or, the same for both?  For example, I'd also like to head to the N GA mtns and use it as an overnight trout trailer for fishing by myself. Would I be able to get to all the same places with each trailer, or would the highwall pop up be more versatile?  Same with state park or Great Smoky Mtn campsites inside the National Park.  Would a pop up and 24'hybrid travel trailer go in the same spots, or would I be restricted with the hybrid b/c of size?   The pop up is 14' hauling length.   Expands to 24' with popped up.

Also, with a full size, crew cab pickup truck, will there be a lot of difference between the two for pulling?  It see,s the large frontal drag on the hybrid might be more tippy and squirrelly than the lower highwall pop up.   The highwall sits at 6' and the hybrid TT is 10'6".  

Athens, GA
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hope this helps:
    In the infancy of the massive (signed) offroad trail system just north of you our group traveled to that general area with trailers of all sizes. After winding my way through the backroads I was always thankful for the smallest trailer that I could get away with and didn't have a crew cab. Those that did and pulled larger trailers dueling with coal trucks/(insert 'x' driver here) around blind mountainside corners with no guardrails?..I would have had to been two sheets to the wind riding shotgun with them.

It can be done and has been proven so yet I would expect three things:

A LOT slower trip with precious cargo on board and God as your constant copilot. I would'd be a nervous wreck with 3 kids depending on where I was going and knowing that "I" made the decision that we could make it in there safely without really knowing or going on someone else's advice.

Expecting whatever you pick up to be at the mercy of whatever is hanging down in its way and to not cringe or get rattled whatsoever on impact.

Less options period. 

Take a look at post #14 here and how easy it is for even seasoned haulers to make bad decisions in this area
    http://www.rzrforums.net/local-rides-events/152929-brimstone-being-difficult-camp-rzr.html
  • Focker
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    I don't mind tent camping.  Love it.  I thought the pop up would be the perfect solution.  I may have confused myself further this weekend.  The wife and I drove around looking this weekend and mistakenly walked into a new hybrid travel trailer.  She fell in love and, I hate to admit, I may have too.   That thing was awesome.   Still considering the highwall Rockwood, but with 3 growing kids, my fear is we will quickly outgrow it.  
    This is all new to me, though.  I've only camped in a tent before.  It seems like we would want to take the HTT more places, more often.   But, I worry about not being able to get the larger hybrid in as many remote places as a highwall pop up.   I could use some experienced feedback on this. I've towed large equipment (backhoes, trenchers, tractors, etc) plenty in my life, so pulling a trailer isn't the issue. I'm more concerned with will I be restricted in camping locations in the hybrid vs the pop up?  Or, the same for both?  For example, I'd also like to head to the N GA mtns and use it as an overnight trout trailer for fishing by myself. Would I be able to get to all the same places with each trailer, or would the highwall pop up be more versatile?  Same with state park or Great Smoky Mtn campsites inside the National Park.  Would a pop up and 24'hybrid travel trailer go in the same spots, or would I be restricted with the hybrid b/c of size?   The pop up is 14' hauling length.   Expands to 24' with popped up.

Also, with a full size, crew cab pickup truck, will there be a lot of difference between the two for pulling?  It see,s the large frontal drag on the hybrid might be more tippy and squirrelly than the lower highwall pop up.   The highwall sits at 6' and the hybrid TT is 10'6".  

24' vs 14' + crewcab, yeah there is a difference when backing in to remote campsites.  I wouldn't be able to camp in the pines of Johnson-Sauk without a smaller radius.  

The highwall tucks in nice out of the wind behind my full size Chevy.  The OEM chrome dumbo mirrors work great.  I know the latest TT fad is lightweight, lightweight, lightweight, you can pull it with a minivan lol.  Give and take when pulling with significant winds and gas mileage.  Wouldn't want a tall lightweight trailer with a nice crosswind.

I like the fact that my Highwall is 4000 lbs fully loaded, a rock, like my Chevy that pulls it.  

IMO, it is pretty hard to outgrow an open floor plan Highwall, similar to a tent.  The only time we're in it is if it rains(rarely), and sleep.  
    If you plan on spending a considerable amount of time in it, as posted above, you might as well stay in your living room.

A plus with the hybrid TT would be having an accessible bathroom while travelling.  We just pull over at the nearest gas station or cornfield off the interstate, no worries.  Our furthest trip is 3 hours from homebase.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks.   What about storage for each?  I take care of my stuff.  I keep my things clean and maintained.  My first thought is that it needs to be stored inside, which is what I like about the highwall pop up.  I can store it in my garage.   In the hot , humid Georgia weather,  is it okay to store outside, under a cover?   The only local storage is either uncovered, or covered but not enclosed (for $90/month)....or in my backyard.  Will the materials/roof break down in weather over time, or is it okay to store them outside?   Most I see while driving around are stored outdoors....that doesn't mean it's the best idea, though.  I just don't want to spend the money and then have it rot and leak before my eyes over a 5 yr period.
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Options
    With 3 kids, the bathroom we pull behind us on road trips would almost be worth buying and pulling it alone.   There is nothing worse than dealing a 2-3 yr old boy in a nasty public bathroom.   
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Also, I understand the lightweight tall trailer and crosswinds.   If I were in Missouri, Kansas or somewhere in the midwest, I don't think I'd consider it.   But, with rolling hills and mountains, I think some of the wind worries are mitigated.   But, I'd like feedback, for anyone who pulls a tall camper with a regular crew cab pickup truck.   Do you feel comfortable doing so, or does it scare you sometimes?   I have enough experience with towing to know to respect whatever us behind you.   
    Athens, GA
  • Focker
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Thanks.   What about storage for each?  I take care of my stuff.  I keep my things clean and maintained.  My first thought is that it needs to be stored inside, which is what I like about the highwall pop up.  I can store it in my garage.   In the hot , humid Georgia weather,  is it okay to store outside, under a cover?   The only local storage is either uncovered, or covered but not enclosed (for $90/month)....or in my backyard.  Will the materials/roof break down in weather over time, or is it okay to store them outside?   Most I see while driving around are stored outdoors....that doesn't mean it's the best idea, though.  I just don't want to spend the money and then have it rot and leak before my eyes over a 5 yr period.
    I haven't had any problems keeping mine out in the Midwest winters, I take care of my stuff too.  Wash/spray wax as needed.  When I bought it, I completely removed, and restored the caulk all around, on roof too.  A rite of passage no doubt, took a couple of weeks but worth it.  The cheap vinyl they use on the floor is starting to crack in a corner from expansion and contraction here in IL.  Replacing with free hardwood from my buddy this Spring.  Should be a day project to install, and trim out with quarter round.  Used Tilex to remove the mildew.  Even the guys at my dealer couldn't believe how good it looked, they thought it was new.  I winterize the lines with antifreeze, and brush the snow off if over 6 inches or so.  And I don't think you even have to do that.  I recall the roof has a weight rating in the manual.  The AC unit, roll out canopy is not included in that rating FYI.   

Like a classic car, the worst thing you could do is cover it.  The tarp/cover, will rub against the exterior and wear it down, causing more damage than if left uncovered.  

I camp frequently at a permanent campground site with family.  They have held up fine, no real issues that I've heard from the owners aside from winterizing the lines each year.  And the maintenance guy Al, takes care of that for everyone, for a fee.  

I'd shop around, $90/month seems pretty steep.  The permanent campground I mentioned is $1 per day offseason.  Same for the storage unit place my buddy goes to, they store RVs as well.  May be an option if you decide to go seasonal or permanent.  Their 2015 5er, sits outside, uncovered, $1 per day. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Also, I understand the lightweight tall trailer and crosswinds.   If I were in Missouri, Kansas or somewhere in the midwest, I don't think I'd consider it.   But, with rolling hills and mountains, I think some of the wind worries are mitigated.   But, I'd like feedback, for anyone who pulls a tall camper with a regular crew cab pickup truck.   Do you feel comfortable doing so, or does it scare you sometimes?   I have enough experience with towing to know to respect whatever us behind you.   
    You're smart to be looking at all the angles with confidence and a little reality mixed in. I've pulled my tall trailer good distances with a short wheelbase 4WD and a 2WD truck. No comparison and plenty of confidence with the latter. I simply slow down. Gusts will hit you without warning in the mountains. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain-gap_wind (I've heard that the Cumberland Gap can be particularly nasty). A lot of people 'poo-pooh' it but I'm a big fan of air bags, anti-sway bars or even the basic load leveler (I wouldn't oversize on the latter two as I've done to great frustration).
    There is something to be said for an irregular load brought to where it should be between the two. That accomplishment alone gives me more confidence than anything else as I've just done all that I possibly can to save precious cargo.
    Spend the extra to hook it up right or as far as you can afford and you'll never look back (literally). 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    I've camped since I was a boy scout. We family camped frequently with the kids. At age 8 my youngest daughter started riding on the back of the motorcycle and we tent camped from outer banks to Mesa Verde over the next few years.
    I cannot imagine camping in a large RV although years ago I did own a Westy. It was nice, but I still prefer a tent. The grandchildren also love the camp in a tent. We just don't do it enough.
    National forests, of which north GA, western NC and east TN have an abundance, offer camping in established campgrounds and any place other than a food plot or a marked no camping area. Smokey mountain camping is in established campsites only.
    GA state parks are clean and with our senior family pass we have free admission for a year and pay a discounted camping fee. The parks are clean with nice restrooms, but they have small sites frequently without a buffer between the next site. Alabama is the worst with FL close behind. You can hold a conversation with the people in the next site without raising your voice.
    RVs are noisy with air conditioners and sometimes generators running.
    If I am going to stay inside while camping, I can sit in my living room without the commute.
    National forest campgrounds tend to have larger sites and some buffer between sites. Even here, there are generators and dogs barking. The AT, BMT or other trails offer a way to get away in some sections, but your kids are probably a little young for this right now.
    KOA type camping is again not my idea of fun.
    Renting a camping cabin or yurt in a park is a cheap way to see if you like the experience, but again your own tent will be nicer.

Bob

A very opinionated camper
    I am a tent camper too. I have accumulated several; from massive multi person, to ultra lite Backpacking tents. I have 5. The oldest tent I have is an LL Bean dome three person. 30 years old and it still functions.
    My absolute favorite is my Marmot Limelight lightweight. Had a few bad weather experiences in it, and it stayed strong and dry, while others in the area collapsed, leaked or blew down. 
    There is nothing better for the soul than an experience which allows you the freedom from the daily grind and the centering provided by nature itself.
    I am at my best on a long hike, backpacking or summit. It is especially wonderful when these moments are shared with those you care for and they are also equally devoted to the outdoors.
    As John Muir has said "The mountains are calling, I must go."
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 55drum
    Options
    And the best camping trips are the ones you were the most miserable on...