Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked meatloaf

Options
GRN96WS6
GRN96WS6 Posts: 60
edited February 2016 in Beef
I smoked my first meatloaf today and it was amazing although a little overcooked (my fault) but I'll be doing this again!

1lb ground beef and 1lb turkey seasoned with garlic cloves, cayenne pepper, cumin, eggs, and italian breadcrumbs.  I paired it with some diced potatoes and broccoli cooked sous vide style seasoned with sea salt and olive oil.

Tommy
LBGE

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Looks great. What temp did you pull the meatloaf?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I got lucky with this one. Best meatloaf ever. Yours looks good.

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Great looking meatloaf, and meal.  Curious about the vegetables, do you freez the vegetables and heat them up for the meal?  
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Meatloaf is one of my favorite cooks on the Egg.  Ground chuck mixed with a little brisket point or ground short ribs, italian breadcrumbs, an egg, onions, bell pepper, some poblano pepper, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and a little bit of Dizzy Pig Cow Lick on top.    Great every time!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • GRN96WS6
    Options
    Looks great. What temp did you pull the meatloaf?

I kind of maybe fell asleep....woops so I didn't pull it til it was 175 which is a little done, you should pull it at 160 from what I saw from others.
    Tommy
    LBGE
  • GRN96WS6
    Options

No those were fresh veggies, I don't really like frozen veggies.
    EggNorth said:
    Great looking meatloaf, and meal.  Curious about the vegetables, do you freez the vegetables and heat them up for the meal?  

Tommy
    LBGE
  • blockmaster
    Options
    Never cooked meat loaf...so do you use a pan or just form the loaf with your hands and straight to the grill?  

Looks like you had it at 350 indirect?  
    Dallas, TX - 1 Large BGE, 28in Blackstone
    Instagram - @jetcooks
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Love smoked meatloaf.  Looks awesome!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Never cooked meat loaf...so do you use a pan or just form the loaf with your hands and straight to the grill?  

Looks like you had it at 350 indirect?  
    @blockmaster  I usually line a bread loaf pan with plastic wrap then form the meatloaf in the pan. I then pull it out using the plastic wrap  to remove it and transfer to the grill.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Meatloaf on the egg takes things to a whole new level. It was one of my best surprises cooking on the egg. Yours looks great - well done. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks great brother!  Meat and potatoes, yup!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GRN96WS6
    GRN96WS6 Posts: 60
    Options
    I don't cook it in a pan, sorry I've been busy and just saw these replies!  I line the loaf pan then lift if out and place it on the grate, you do it once you've never oven cook a loaf again!!!
    Tommy
    LBGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Best part of meat loaf is the white bread and dukes mayo it goes on the next day. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Looks great Tommy! Smoked meatloaf is one of my faves. I always make 2 or 3 loaves cause they disappear fast and don't go to waste. The leftovers are great and particularly as a sandwich. I would suggest using a foil drip pan on your plate setter next time. Will keep it from getting crudded up and also prevents bad tasting smoke from the fat drippings burning on the plate setter. Elevate the foil pan slightly using some wads of crumpled up aluminum foil. This small air gap will keep the drippings from smoking and burning in your foil pan.

As for the question of pan or not, I sometimes form it by hand sometimes using a pan. Like others mentioned I remove the pan to smoke it. This way you get the entire surface of the loaf uncovered and exposed to the smoke. Where this is ground meat or poultry, go a bit light on the smoking wood. Ground meat/poultry absorbs a lot of smoke. Start out light and add more next time if you think it wasn't smokey enough.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.