Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Pickled Garlic OT

Options
Doesn't always turn blue green, it depends on the garlic.  There is a process to ensure it does not, but some Asian cooking values the change in color.  Doesn't affect the taste.  Over time the garlic mellows and becomes easy to eat raw.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    We love garlic. Gonna have to google this. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    We love garlic. Gonna have to google this. 

I will post the recipe I use.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    This brine works for everything from onions to cucumbers.  Onions and carrot sticks are my favorite but I am liking this garlic.

2 cups water
    4.5 cups white vinegar
    5 tablespoons sea salt
    Heat gently until the salt goes into solution.  Let cool.

Per jar:
    2+ tablespoons chopped garlic
    1 tablespoon mustard whole seeds
    2 tablespoons pickling spice
    A sprinkle of whole black peppercorns
    A peri peri pepper, or a shake or two of red pepper

Combine and refrigerate.

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    I see you say to refrigerate but have you ever tried processing it in a canner? Either a pressure or water bath?
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    About how many QT jars does the recipe above fill?  
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    I see you say to refrigerate but have you ever tried processing it in a canner? Either a pressure or water bath?
    If you canned them they would be cooked, these are raw.  They will last a long time in the fridge.  That quantity of brine will be several jars, but you will just have to find out for yourself.