Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    billysbbq,
    Don't follow it to a tee but follow the guideslines. I would up the dome temp to 225-250. It will cut down a little tiny bit from the approx 23+ hrs this will take you and the 225 temp is easier to maintain overnight. If you can keep the fire going for 20+ hrs, then its a real easy cook. Be ready to bump up the temp 25-50 deg after the temp rise stalls - normally around 150-175 internal. Enjoy.[p]Tim

• Tim M,
    Thanks for the info. I was figuring 1 1/2 hrs. per lb., but that is obviously not right. I guess there is nothing I can do now, but tell the family we will be eating a little bit later!!!! I am sure it will be worth the wait.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    billysbbq, one thing you may want to do is check the internal temp with another thermometer to make sure that the polder is reading accurately - 85 sounds low for the length of time that you have been cooking - just my thoughts :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Tim M,
    I put in two butts yesterday at 1pm and the internal is still at 140. I was able to maintain 200 the whole time +/-20 degrees. I just added more lump the supply is almost gone, and am bumping the temp up to 300 or so. Any problems with the meat at this length of time? [p]H[p]Oh I am doing around 12lbs of pork so I figure that probably is effecting the timing some.

• dhuffjr
    Tim M,[p]Thanks for the input. I still had some lump left (large egg) but it was spread out and the non-burnt pieces where spread out. There was also a rather thick layer of ash on the bottom covering most of the holes so when I tried kicking up the temp to 250 or so it didn't go anywhere. Last time I did this I started out with the temp too hot and cooked the butt at around 300-325 for 7 hours and it turned out rather good! I also cheated and added foil! So I am expecting so great down home NC style Que. As for the sauce the good ole Coastal NC Roy's toxic sauce is on the counter fermenting ,drooling (well not actually that is me doing the drooling), and waiting on the piggy.[p]H
  • dhuffjr
    Tim M,[p]Thanks for the input. I still had some lump left (large egg) but it was spread out and the non-burnt pieces where spread out. There was also a rather thick layer of ash on the bottom covering most of the holes so when I tried kicking up the temp to 250 or so it didn't go anywhere. Last time I did this I started out with the temp too hot and cooked the butt at around 300-325 for 7 hours and it turned out rather good! I also cheated and added foil! So I am expecting so great down home NC style Que. As for the sauce the good ole Coastal NC Roy's toxic sauce is on the counter fermenting ,drooling (well not actually that is me doing the drooling), and waiting on the piggy.[p]H
  • dhuffjr
  • dhuffjr
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    billysbbq, I am sure 85F is a typo and you meant 185. If that was the case, your probably eating by now. If so, enjoy.
    If not..we are all in trouble! Rule of thumb on slow cook if you didn't have a thermometer at all is 2.5 hours per lb and fork twist test for doneness.
    Thank goodness we have thermometers, but sometimes they can be a pain in the Boston Butt.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    dhuffjr, would you mind repeating that? :-)
    C~W
    (all in fun)

• Tim M
    dhuffjr,[p]Ok, try not to stammer. HiHi[p]Cooking a butt fro 7 hr at 300 deg is going to make an OK BBQ. Kinda what you would expect from a good BBQ resturant. Good, tasty, but it could be better if the owner wanted to spend another 10 hrs slow cooking it. That is what you will have after doing it the long slow way. Its like butter, its so tender!![p]Enjoy![p]Tim

• dhuffjr
    Tim M,
    Put it on yesterday at 1pm and took it off today at 6pm.
    Turned out great! Much better than my last time which was due to operator induced high temperature start up, so I just went with it. As far as the stutttttering goes. Stupid computer/operator.LOL[p]H

• Tim M
    dhuffjr,
    We were all kidding you about the multiple posts - it happens now and again but sometimes its not operator error but a problem with the CGI script files.[p]Glad it came out better than the last. At 29 hrs, it sounds like you are close to the "long cook" record with that one! When something like a butt cooks for that long, at low temps, it must have been darn good and tender when pulled. Hope it was worth the wait. [p]Tim