Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Camping with Family

Options

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My wife and I spent our honeymoon in a pull behind pop up somewhat like shown in the 1st post. 'Cept it was made in the '50s, and only had the shape, but no amenities built in. Belonged to my wife's dad and mom who took their kids half a continent away and used it in Yellowstone. Worked for us and kids 1 & 2 before the canvas gave way.

After that, we went w. what I considered awfully fancy tents. Fiberglass poles that snapped together by themselves, synthetic fabrics that weighed almost nothing compared to canvas, etc. Kids 3 & 4 spent vacations younger than 6 months old in those. Do note that if you are going out into snow, a reall-l-ly good sleeping bag is necessary. And be sure to have thick pads under them if there is might be a heavy thunderstorm.

As you can guess, we didn't need any electric hook up, tho' we didn't mind it if we had one.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I see alot of permanent 5th wheels that sit out in the Midwest 24-7 365.  They hold up just fine.  Since when were campers not made to be outdoors?

38% below MSRP is awesome.  My uncle bought a 32' fully loaded double slideout in October(love the wider layout), they were nowhere near 20%, let alone 30-38%.  

The camper I found in IA booked at 10K, I got if for 5K.  I don't think I would recommend peeps hold out and do the same.  Both are examples of rare deals. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Your post is greatly appreciated.....and allows me to reminice. Some of my fondest family memories are with our children camping. There is nothing like the smell of bacon and coffe in the great outdooes. Most of of time camping were in preminitive areas in the North Carolina mountains. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Campers Inn has a good selection of pop ups. It used to be Peco Campers but was bought out by the bigger outfit. No direct experience with them since the ownership change, but it looks like they still have a nice selection of pop ups.

http://www.campersinn.com/atlanta
  • C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    Options
    An RV that sits out 24/7 looks pretty rough after a few years, especially in the Texas heat. An RV with a $100,000 MSRP can easily be bought for $70,000, if negotiated at the right time of year around $65,000 or less. 

I wax mine once a year and keep it inside when I'm not using it. I just extremely picky and take care of my stuff. I know they are made to to be used outside but very few are made for full time living.  Those that are are designed that way are very expensive typically.  
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Your post is greatly appreciated.....and allows me to reminice. Some of my fondest family memories are with our children camping. There is nothing like the smell of bacon and coffe in the great outdooes. Most of of time camping were in preminitive areas in the North Carolina mountains. 
    Thanks.  Those memories and that appreciation for simpler things is what I'm hoping to create.  Most of our time will be in N GA, East Tennessee, N. Carolina and Virginia.  Some of the most beautiful land this nation has to offer.  I want to spend more time enjoying it.  
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    With a 6, 3 and 1 year old (again) I'd still be looking hard at renting first for a few times while making sure that you're set up to haul whatever (first). I'd also call ahead and ask what the ball height needs to be (making sure that you're talking to somebody who knows how it needs to ride), account for weight sag in your own vehicle and then get something adjustable to handle a little lower/higher or whatever you might run in to. Towing itself is a whole other ballgame in the country that you're describing as I'm sure many on here can attest to and help with.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    With a 6, 3 and 1 year old (again) I'd still be looking hard at renting first for a few times while making sure that you're set up to haul whatever (first). I'd also call ahead and ask what the ball height needs to be (making sure that you're talking to somebody who knows how it needs to ride), account for weight sag in your own vehicle and then get something adjustable to handle a little lower/higher or whatever you might run in to. Towing itself is a whole other ballgame in the country that you're describing as I'm sure many on here can attest to and help with.
    Agree 100%.   No way I'd buy blindly without renting at least once.   I've hauled heavy equipment extensively in my younger days, and I know hills/mountains change the dynamic quite a bit.   That part, I'm prepared for.  My truck is fully capable of hauling anything I'm looking at, regardless of terrain.   My first thought was to find a good dealer who rented, but it seems dealers/rentals are mutually exclusive.  So, I'm still trying to find where to rent one for a weekend or 3 day trip that is close to what I believe I want.   That's proving fairly difficult.
    Athens, GA
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I gotta agree with you northGAcock, when our kids were young, we would load up our packs and backpack into a secluded area and spend 3 or 4 days away from everything. Great times and never forgotten. You're on the right track Mayberry , whatever means of camping you decide on, it's great for your family and they'll always remember it.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Did the 2RG last weekend, first of many we will be doing this year. Backpacked the auxier ridge. No foliage on the trees revealing spectacular geology.
    don't wait too long, this will be a great spring in the SE for camping.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    YukonRon, the Gorge has always been a favorite for us.  Not too far away, with spectacular scenery.  But it's a shame the way it is being abused by some, leaving their trash and destroying some of the geology.  And not to mention theft.  Would like to make it back there some day, but my health will have to vastly improve to do so.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• C130
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you get a rental try to get a nice, clean one. I've had friends rent and some of the RV's were nice, some were disgusting. If you get a disgusting, worn out RV it kinda ruins the RV experience I think and doesn't leave a good impression.

Also, don't ever try to justify it financially. It's justified by the memories and time spent together with your family. Plus, it's hard to beat getting away from everything else in the world and not being on any time schedule.  
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @Mayberry   Our family used to have a pop-up that we enjoyed a lot.  They come in different sizes. With three kids, I would suggest you look at models that have "king" size pullouts on both ends.  It is surprising how big they can feel inside.  Even the big ones will fit in a garage (barely). We kept ours stocked and ready to go, only having to add fresh food to the fridge, and duffles with clothes in order to be ready to go.

For convenience,  look for models that allow access to the fridge while the unit is folded.  The day or two before a trip, I would plug in the trailer and load the fridge with food for the trip, stock the pantry (also accessible while folded), and add any "toys" needed for that particular trip (beach toys etc). Day of the trip, unplug the trailer, hook it up, throw in the duffle bags with clothes, and then go.  When returning I would plug the trailer back in and not have to worry about unpacking the fridge immediately.  Our camper had a higher btu stove on the outside. Found that we preferred to cook outside and rarely used the stove inside.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    YukonRon, the Gorge has always been a favorite for us.  Not too far away, with spectacular scenery.  But it's a shame the way it is being abused by some, leaving their trash and destroying some of the geology.  And not to mention theft.  Would like to make it back there some day, but my health will have to vastly improve to do so.  
    I was raised down there, I grew up in a boys home, not too far from Rock Bridge. I have seen the impact over the years, and I attribute most of it to the rock climbing competitions and world championships started back in the 80's. Since then, its popularity has grown so much, the amount of people have just worn it down, so to speak. MBW and I know the areas less traveled, and we go there. Remote and quiet.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mayberry
    Options
    @jtcBoynton That's exactly what we are looking at:  king beds on each end, add'l pull out bed in dining area, full kitchen, full bath, etc.    i want the largest one possible that can still store in garage at home. Depth of garage isn't a concern.  We just built a few years ago and I had Builder add a few feet to garage depth.   I have a full size crew cab truck and wanted to be able to park inside, leave hitch on truck and still be able to walk around.   Turns out I still don't park in garage, so I have the space.  
    Athens, GA
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Sounds like your garage will be fine.  Give careful thought to the interior layout of the popup. Think about where you and the kids will be and how that interacts with the things you will be doing.  Some are more functional than others. Our popup had a u-shaped couch in the front end.  This is a good place for the kids to hang out while the kitchen area is being used.  I always found the need to use the dining table as a prep area when cooking. It was good to be able to have the family not using the table when prepping meals. The couch also doubled as another bed.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    We are in the same kinda boat. No truck here, but with a pre-teen and 7 yr old, it'll be a nightmare finding stuff for my kids that they agree on. 

Go go to the GA State Parks website and look they the parks. Yesterday we went to both High Falls where there is both tent and towable camping as well as a couple of yurts. We will be trying one next month. We also went to Indian Springs Park where they are working on the beach and lake areas in preparation for spring and summer. Plenty of camping sites for towables there as well. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    We upgraded to a hard side trailer about 4 years ago, and have been thinking about going back to the the pop up style that we had for several years.   Honestly, you really can't go wrong.  It's extremely easy to tow.  Take care of it and it will last a long time.  We bought ours from a private owner who had purchased it to stay in while they were building their cabin "up north".  (Apparently everyone in WI has a cabin "up north").  We would use large storage totes for things kept in camper, more or less divided into:  1) Food related items (paper plates, plastic ware, paper towels, picnic table cloth, etc) 2) outdoor items (bug spray, hammer, clothesline, outdoor lights, etc).  

Also most of them come with a little porta-potty, which for a family of small children would be good.  

If you would like my "things to have in the camper list" I would be happy to send it to you (or anyone else).  
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Sounds like your garage will be fine.  Give careful thought to the interior layout of the popup. Think about where you and the kids will be and how that interacts with the things you will be doing.  Some are more functional than others. Our popup had a u-shaped couch in the front end.  This is a good place for the kids to hang out while the kitchen area is being used.  I always found the need to use the dining table as a prep area when cooking. It was good to be able to have the family not using the table when prepping meals. The couch also doubled as another bed.

What brand was yours?    I checked out a Forest River dealer today and their highwall pop ups are pretty nice.   The Somerset still seems like the highest quality I've seen, though.   
    Athens, GA
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    If you have some boys start them in Cub Scouts in first grade. You'll go camping as a family with other families. Your boys will make friends and so will you and your wife. It's not where you go but who you go with and what you do when you get there!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    No experience with pop ups. But I can say that camping even with a baby is AWESOME! Even full hook up campgrounds are more fun than I ever imagined. Hardest part with the older kids is keeping the boredom from taking over. As long as you don't mind running around keeping them entertained, it's a no brainer. The close quarters and outdoor adventuring is classic family fun. It's the memories they will tell their friends about in college and try to recreate with their own children.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    @Mayberry   We had a Coleman branded popup made by Fleetwood.  Fleetwood folded their travel trailer business in 2009 - still making motor homes. The Colemans were one of the better brands. The Sun Valley model had my favorite layout, although it did not have the bathroom you are wanting.

Southeast Florida - LBGE

• noarmysargent
    Options
    I see some good comments here.  I've been camping for many years.  Here is my advice. A pop up is ok. Problem is, small kids need restrooms at night. A restroom in a pop up is not as pleasant as you may think.  Nothing like walking to the restroom at midnight. I would recommend a small lightweight camper with restroom and shower.  

I I have been to most State of Georgia campsites.  I feel blessed to live in a state that has such great parks. I know you have small children. There is nothing like getting them interested in history. FDR is wonderful (headed there this weekend). The Little House is just a few miles from camp.
    Stone Mountian is great for activities with kids. 
    Cloudland Canyon is off the charts with God's work.
    Vogal, Beauty
    okefenokee is a must.  The kids will never forget. 
    Every park has its own character. You will learn to enjoy the parks. 
    Let me know if I can help
  • C130
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I see some good comments here.  I've been camping for many years.  Here is my advice. A pop up is ok. Problem is, small kids need restrooms at night. A restroom in a pop up is not as pleasant as you may think.  Nothing like walking to the restroom at midnight. I would recommend a small lightweight camper with restroom and shower.  

I I have been to most State of Georgia campsites.  I feel blessed to live in a state that has such great parks. I know you have small children. There is nothing like getting them interested in history. FDR is wonderful (headed there this weekend). The Little House is just a few miles from camp.
    Stone Mountian is great for activities with kids. 
    Cloudland Canyon is off the charts with God's work.
    Vogal, Beauty
    okefenokee is a must.  The kids will never forget. 
    Every park has its own character. You will learn to enjoy the parks. 
    Let me know if I can help
    I agree, nothing wrong with the pop ups but just remember there's no privacy and as noarmysargent said the bathrooms are pretty inadequate. Better than nothing but that was one of the main complaints my brother and sister in law had with their pop up. Just make sure you get what you really want because trading campers can get expensive. Get what you prefer the first time, it's much cheaper!
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    @noarmysargent   I like the lightweight campers as well. Only issue is that @Mayberry needs to be able to store the trailer in a garage.  

@Mayberry There used to be some hard sided popups on the market.  I don't know if there are any today but might be worth looking to see if they are something you might like. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Focker
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Glad I have an 8yr old country boy, and hang out with ladies who don't even care about that kind of stuff.  My leftover urinals from back surgery work great.  The ladys who have stayed are ok with it, and know they have to walk a short distance to facilities, or cop a squat, if necessary.   Had one chick in mid-conversation step aside and cop squat right there in front of everybody. lol 

If there's one in the chamber, we have our own Charmin.  It has been confirmed, a bear does sh!t in the woods in Prophetstown, IL.  Have left alot of wolf bait out at my huntin spot Lot 2 parking lot.  Seemed like clockwork when I pulled in at 0400, duty called when I started to gear up with Carhartt bibs, camo, harness, and parka on.  Which I preferred, over waiting until I was tethered in 20ft up in my tree.  

Have also fertilized a few cornfields on RAGBRAI.  Kept Charmin in the backpack.   

Half the time I urinate in my own backyard, conserves water.

All of this glampin' takes away from the experience.  Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, rough it a little, and be human. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Mayberry
    Options
    Agree with you, to some extent.   I've camped a lot alone, with only a hammock or a sleeping bag and a tarp. My wife requires at least a tent.  With 1 kid, roughing it might be easy.   With 3 small ones, it's near impossible and not at all fun. I want us to go frequently and enjoy ourselves.   Not too concerned with "glamping".   Just looking to spend more time with my family enjoying and teaching about the beautiful world God gave us.   
    Athens, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    We always kept a 5 gal bucket toilet with bag liners with us in the tent for wife and kids late at night.  The boys learned early to find a bush or tree outside at night.
  • Focker
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Agree with you, to some extent.   I've camped a lot alone, with only a hammock or a sleeping bag and a tarp. My wife requires at least a tent.  With 1 kid, roughing it might be easy.   With 3 small ones, it's near impossible and not at all fun. I want us to go frequently and enjoy ourselves.   Not too concerned with "glamping".   Just looking to spend more time with my family enjoying and teaching about the beautiful world God gave us.   
    Slept 3 boys including my nephews when I started with my camper 3, 5, and 6 two years ago.  

Both of them get dropped off after I am set up, and both go home morning of tear down.  Get help with fam and friends. Your little one year old is a concern for several reasons.  I wouldn't say it's impossible, or not fun.  It is doable.  Older nephew and son were toddlers around the lake at my uncles, a couple of years before this, same spot.  Had to use chucks because the lil superman would still wet the bed on occasion.  We survived.  They wore life jackets around the water on the bank at that age.  Cousins have toddlers around too, same thing.  We have one young lady in our fam Keyani, who is so mature for her age(recessive trait in our DNA), loves watching,  and is so good with the kids.  She gets paid well.  It is a group effort.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I have been camping my entire life.  From tenting to RVs.  
    My in-laws own a campground.
    I have owned a full service RV rental business for a few years.
    I have owned roughly 10 campers from airstreams, to other travel trailers, to fifth wheels.  We have bought campers off auctions and off repo lots.  We have reconditioned a few as well.

I currently go tent camping with my boys out in the middle of nowhere. We also go family camping on asphalt at the beach with the next camper inches from the awning of your own camper.  I like both types of camping for various reasons.  If you are camping in close proximity to other campers, it is nice to have a hard sided camper with air conditioning to drown out the noises of the kids that wake up earlier than yours and get to stay up later than yours.  Camping with the little ones in a tent is difficult.  Having the extra space and privacy of a larger hard sided trailer has its advantages for nap time, bathroom time, etc.  I just sold the fifth wheel and truck shown in the pics below as my family has outgrown the truck.  I need to find a motorhome that sleeps 8 or a bunkhouse travel trailer that sleeps 8.  I will miss the fifth wheel.   

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI