Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT. Building a small under fired, surround flow pit.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
I had the idea a while back to bring one of my old units back to life and put it back in the cooking line up. Due to it being fairly small, I thought I would try the under fired, surround flow technique that you are starting to see more and more. To be honest, it's the only design that I have never cooked on so I thought why not. If it doesn't perform well, I will simply set it back in storage where it has been sitting for years. Here are a few pics. Still have a long way to go but I'm getting there slowly. 

Unit #3 rebuild. 

Under fired firebox with triple flue. 

After blasting and painting, I will give her a trial run with a 42 pound beef clod that I have been sitting on. That will tell the tale of how she cooks. I'm hoping that this unit will make a small, everyday use, wood fired pit that is fuel efficient. My large units use far to much fuel for small individual cooks. At any rate, just something that I have been playing around with and thought that I would share for those who like seeing different pit flow designs. Thanks for looking. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Ummmm 42lb clod is an individual cook for you  :o
    Looks promising, let us know how she does.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Scottie will the main chamber have any tuning plates to direct the flow?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Scottie will the main chamber have any tuning plates to direct the flow?
    What it will actually have is a baffle plate (just like in a reverse flow) however the baffle plate will not be connected to the chamber walls. This will be a 1" opening all the way around the baffle plate. This will allow the flue to come up around the baffle plate. The heat will be coming up and around the circumference of the baffle plate. Akin to the plate setter in the BGE. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    like very much. Hope it works. I've been looking for a small stick burner I could use at home
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    Options
    like very much. Hope it works. I've been looking for a small stick burner I could use at home
    Thanks. On a very serious note, if you like the looks of this after its complete, I can build you a exact replica for about 600 bucks. I have a extra axle laying in the shop so there goes that expense. It's all 1/4 inch metal so it's plenty heavy. 

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    @SGH - you clearly understand the art and science of smokers.  I have no doubt that your project will yield to the resurrection of your old #3 with a whole new life.  (And don't let @nolaegghead know about this salvation as who knows where that could end up ;) )  Have fun with the project.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,090
    Options
    I like the square tube 10' tall exhaust stacks!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    Options
    I like the square tube 10' tall exhaust stacks!
    Thanks. But I won't be able to leave them that length. They will be cut off little by little when I start tuning out the pit. I always start long and work my way down until optimum draft is achieved.  

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Thanks. On a very serious note, if you like the looks of this after its complete, I can build you a exact replica for about 600 bucks. I have a extra axle laying in the shop so there goes that expense. It's all 1/4 inch metal so it's plenty heavy. 
    If you like it, just build it. Sold. Thanks!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Damn, I need to find a trailer to bring down to you!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Hotch
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @SGH This may put me in the stick burner business!
    Looking for small foot print, effeicent to run and great live fire flavor!
    I'm am interested in one.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Brother Hotch, that is actually my goal and hope for this rig. To be able to run 275 degrees while burning 5 pounds or less of wood per hour. If it works as hoped, it will replace my egg as my everyday use smoker. Most of my big pits will burn in excess of 20 pounds of wood per hour when running 275 degrees. Unit #4 and Unit #9 will burn around 100 pounds per hour when pushed. This is far to expensive for everyday cooks. My goal here is to be able to do up to 6 briskets at a time, run 265-285 degrees, while burning no more than 5 pounds of oak per hour. If it works, I will be one happy camper my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Man your pits eat a lot more wood than my new rig with insulated fire box. In comp this weekend I burned maybe 100lbs of wood the whole day. 12 hours of running.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing this rig. I like it in theory, I bet it hot spots though. How much vertical space are you working with? Seems like this design would do great in a vertical smoker. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy
    Mine does eat through it like a hog in slop. How did you do in the comp? Been waiting to hear from you. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Options
    SGH said:
    Hotch said:
    Brother Hotch, that is actually my goal and hope for this rig. To be able to run 275 degrees while burning 5 pounds or less of wood per hour. If it works as hoped, it will replace my egg as my everyday use smoker. Most of my big pits will burn in excess of 20 pounds of wood per hour when running 275 degrees. Unit #4 and Unit #9 will burn around 100 pounds per hour when pushed. This is far to expensive for everyday cooks. My goal here is to be able to do up to 6 briskets at a time, run 265-285 degrees, while burning no more than 5 pounds of oak per hour. If it works, I will be one happy camper my friend. 
    Scottie just wandering how to handle the grease buildup and clean out if the heat/smoke tubes are inserted in the bottom of the main chamber?
    And will the stack entry be below the top of the main chamber to allow for heat and smoke to stay in the top of the main chamber?

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
     I bet it hot spots though. 
    If I did the calculations right, it shouldn't. But it may, I won't know for sure until I test it. However with the baffle on a 50/50 split, and the exhaust pulling from both corners, the inlet feeding in dead bottom center on a 45 degree slope, it should in theory run about as even as a kamado. If it doesn't, I will cut it apart and try again. But I have a hunch that it will purr like a kitten. Time will tell.  

Status- Standing by.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    SGH said:
    If you like it, just build it. Sold. Thanks!

Me too 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SGH
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Scottie just wandering how to handle the grease buildup and clean out if the heat/smoke tubes are inserted in the bottom of the main chamber?
    And will the stack entry be below the top of the main chamber to allow for heat and smoke to stay in the top of the main chamber?

As to the question of grease. 
    Im going to "double" plate the baffle. The top baffle will catch the grease. However with another baffle just below the top baffle, the top baffle will not get hot enough to smoke or boil the grease. The bottom baffle will be the heat shield and the top baffle will be a drip pan for lack of a better word.
    As to the stack. 
    The stack outlet will be right at the top of the cook chamber. I will not drop it down to grate level like on a side fired traditional flow. Why? You have to remember that this rig has vertical draft only. No horizontal flow. So it's natural pull is up. Also I'm not trying to replicate vertical reverse flow (like my Vault). The goal here is a simple  once through, vertical flow design. If I lowered the outlets down into the chamber, it would create a unnecessary turbulence when running live fire due to the size of the firebox in relation to the size of the cook chamber. If I were running charcoal or lump, then it would not matter. There is a huge difference in a vertical that is fired and one that use lump or charcoal. When using live fire in a vertical, you always run the risk of creating a down draft. The outlet being at the top totally eliminates this. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Options
    SGH said:
    Hotch said:

Im going to "double" plate the baffle. The top baffle will catch the grease. However with another baffle just below the top baffle, the top baffle will not get hot enough to smoke or boil the grease. The bottom baffle will be the heat shield and the top baffle will be a drip pan for lack of a better word.
    As to the stack. 
    The stack outlet will be right at the top of the cook chamber. I will not drop it down to grate level like on a side fired traditional flow. Why? You have to remember that this rig has vertical draft only. No horizontal flow. So it's natural pull is up. Also I'm not trying to replicate vertical reverse flow (like my Vault). The goal here is a simple  once through, vertical flow design. If I lowered the outlets down into the chamber, it would create a unnecessary turbulence when running live fire due to the size of the firebox in relation to the size of the cook chamber. If I were running charcoal or lump, then it would not matter. There is a huge difference in a vertical that is fired and one that use lump or charcoal. When using live fire in a vertical, you always run the risk of creating a down draft. The outlet being at the top totally eliminates this. 
    Yep that is what I was thinking! 
    NOT!!  idnc..
    So it sounds like you have a great plan. 
    Standing by.........
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    This is almost like watching Moonshiners and their still builds. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Love the concept and design.  Wish I had 1/2 the knowledge to build and work it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Hotch
    Options

@SGH Any updates (Pics) on your Roman Chariot cooker?

I'm just saying that's what it kind of looks like to me anyway!

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    Hotch said:

this makes a lot of sense to me!  Smart move. I like.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Don't know how I missed this the first time, but I look forward to discussing this with you at Butt Blast.
  • SGH
    Options
    Hotch said:

@SGH Any updates (Pics) on your Roman Chariot cooker?

I'm just saying that's what it kind of looks like to me anyway!

Now that you mention it, it did favor a Roman Chariot. But as to the updates, I have decided to add a 85 gallon vertical. I debated back and forth about it, but I'm doing it just because. I toyed with the idea of making a 85 gallon PBC, but the snob in me got the better of me. Thus it's going to be a vertical. I should have it blasted and painted sometime next week. Will post pics of it in action. My whole concept for this unit is a dedicated clod and brisket smoker. As such, I think the inaugural cook should be clod in the horizontal and a brisket or two in the vertical.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Don't know how I missed this the first time, but I look forward to discussing this with you at Butt Blast.
    Will be my pleasure buddy.  

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Options
    @SGH Thanks for the update.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @SGH Thanks for the update.
    Hopefully I will be updating it again real soon with a clod in it =)

Status- Standing by.