Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you Sous Vide one thing...

Options
Pork! There is nothing better than a perfect med rare pork chop, or worse than an over cooked one, lol.

I scored these monsters today, over a pound each, and boy were they amazing. I don't sous vide everything, but with pork, especially this thick, I really love the results!

If you haven't yet, I really suggest you pull the trigger.

Comments

• svendangle
    Options
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I want one so bad. Looks fantastic.
  • svendangle
    Options
    How long did they take?

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    BOOM!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    How long did they take?

I did these for six hours, but that is just because I got back from the butcher at 11:30 and decided I wanted to eat at 6:00 lol. There's a ton of info on technique out there but the only rule I follow is over 4 hours = over 130F. I'm sure I could have pulled them out much earlier. But that's the beauty of sous vide in my eyes, it really helps the multi-tasking home cook!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Not at my house. I'd have to eat them all. If it has no grain, it's chewy and no go. I like my pork "undercooked" but everyone else complains. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Beautiful! Well played. My very first attempt was also pork and by that result alone I'm hooked on sous vide! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Wait until you do a tenderloin.  It's perfect for really dialing in the temp on anything mildly thick.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Finally broke down and ordered an anova- going to need to add on to the kitchen to hold all the stuff I keep buying
    Greensboro, NC
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Not at my house. I'd have to eat them all. If it has no grain, it's chewy and no go. I like my pork "undercooked" but everyone else complains. 
    I honestly refused to eat porkchops until about 5 years ago because of how over cooked my mother made them when I was a kid, lol! Now I have one twice a month at a  minimum.  
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I felt the same way!
    Wolfpack said:
    Finally broke down and ordered an anova- going to need to add on to the kitchen to hold all the stuff I keep buying 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    never done a SV chop yet . . but now I want to.  I just got some 2" thick bone in chops and went with a brine then reverse sear . . so good.  I will have to try head-to-head with SV soon and report back.  Nice post.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i think i  have said this in ever sous vide thread lol  chops are heavenly
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I have been wanting one of these for months, maybe for my birthday. My boss has one and loves the results...
    One day!!!
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    They look great - what rub did you use?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    NDG said:
    never done a SV chop yet . . but now I want to.  I just got some 2" thick bone in chops and went with a brine then reverse sear . . so good.  I will have to try head-to-head with SV soon and report back.  Nice post.
    Thanks much! You won't be sorry. Can't wait to see your results!
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    tonyled said:
    i think i  have said this in ever sous vide thread lol  chops are heavenly
    Thanks! They were so good!!
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Thanks! Season salt garlic pepper paprika honey powder cayanne 
    dlk7 said:
    They look great - what rub did you use?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @dlk7.... You doing ok? Good to see you here. How's Wisconsin? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    I received my Anova S/V a couple of weeks ago.  So far, I've done boneless chcken breasts, NY strips and pork chops.  The chicken was perfect, strips also great, maybe a little over done and the chops, out of this world.  So far, couldn't be happier.   Would like to try beef ribs next.   FWIW, i finished everything on the BGE.  The S/V is a great addition.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Have a couple boneless, skinless chicken breastses in the pool right now. Seasoned with DP Red Eye and a dollop of butter in each pouch.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    That's the beauty  of sous vide. On a cook such as this you could set up for a temp of 145* or 150* or even 160* for the chops that are going to become way overcooked for those that like them that way, then drop the temp down to the doneness that you prefer for the next 3 hours and throw yours in with theirs. When you are ready, take them all out and do the reverse sear and everyone is happy

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• dlk7
    Options
    henapple said:
    @dlk7.... You doing ok? Good to see you here. How's Wisconsin? 
    It was a mild winter compared to last year and with the deck fully enclosed I was able to cook every day I was in town.  I have a new team in Chicago that takes me down there quite a bit so I don't get to egg every night like the good old days.  Sure miss Tennessee.  I'm trying to convince my wife it would be a great place to retire to.

Hope all is well with you.

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    Options
    Has anyone ordered the Joule from Chef Steps yet?  The software looks pretty cool.

Waunakee, WI

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options
    I highly recommend chicken thighs too, but not cellphones.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    Has anyone ordered the Joule from Chef Steps yet?  The software looks pretty cool.
    Chops look fantastic - speaking of Chef Steps - no idea on the Joule, but they suggest a quick (under 60 second) pre-sear, time in the Trés Booblay then a sear again before serving. The results are very good, IMO. The sear before and after sous vide is a game changer with chops. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    Chops look fantastic - speaking of Chef Steps - no idea on the Joule, but they suggest a quick (under 60 second) pre-sear, time in the Trés Booblay then a sear again before serving. The results are very good, IMO. The sear before and after sous vide is a game changer with chops. 
    I will have to give the pre sear a shot next time!