Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oriental - not on the egg (pic heavy).

Options
bob.bud
bob.bud Posts: 297
Daughter wanted some lumpia - that is a filipino version of your traditional Chinese egg rolls. Like q, I never eat egg rolls anywhere. A lie, I will eat q depending in the place and the situation... Chinese egg rolls at a restaurant, I'll pass.

The filling:

on the wrapper:

make an envelope (I hear my mother):

getting a few rolled... my rolling skills honed elsewhere  ;)

into the skillet:

tilted to drain the extra oil out, these things go quick in this house:

some pickled stuff to make it all oriental (more rolled lumpia to the left ready for their dive into the oil):

sorry, no plated shots. Typically serve with some white rice, some sweet and sour sauce, and some veggie (a garlic inspired broccoli was on tap for the night).
Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice. Those
    look awesome. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    My in-laws bring lumpia every year for Thanksgiving; we love them. Those look great. Thanks for sharing the process.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bob.bud
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - yes they are, they are like comfort food to me.

@SciAggie, thanks, and no problem at all. Used ground turkey, but beef or pork could be used as well. That is about 2lbs or so of meat, with two bunches of green onions, 4 cloves of garlic minced, I used roughly a cup of diced up mini carrots (no regular carrots in the house to grate), salt, pepper, and a few shakes of crushed red. Spiced to taste.

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Very cool.  When we lived in SD we had two Filipino markets down the street from us that made their own lumpia.  We used to get them by the platter for just about any occasion.  Much better than any restaurant egg roll.  I could hurt myself with those.
  • bob.bud
    Options
    @Legume, San Diego is my home town. Born and raised - left home eons ago, damn 29 years ago now that I think about it. Will be out that way to celebrate my old man's 90th next month.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Banging!  Those look awesome.

As to eggrolls in restaurants, there is a vietnamese restaurant in town that fries really light eggrolls in duck fat.  They are killer and I have gone just to get their eggrolls.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    We were in Penasquitos when we lived there and there were these two small markets and a Filipino bakery as well within a couple of blocks of our house.  When you got down into Mira Mesa, that's where it really got thick with Filipino and SE Asian markets of all kinds.  Great stuff.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Looks awesome 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC