Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mile High Celebrates Peyton

NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited March 2016 in Off Topic
Congrats on a magnificent career and fairy tail ending. Peyton leaves the NFL w/ Two Super Bowl Victory Rings from two teams and breaking many records. It was simply time for this legend to enjoy retirement. As a Bronco Fan I'm happy for him and I look forward to the future. Von Miller was the chosen franchise player. I anticipate an exhilarating Bronco Season. I think it would be cool if we could retain Peyton for QB coaching etc. I think his advice could certainly help Brock Osweiler. 
http://www.denverpost.com/news
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    Too bad retiring in the NFL these days generally means testing the waters to see if another team is willing to pay your salary and then calling it quits when you can't find a suitor. He should have retired like Jerome Bettis with the Lombardi trophy in his hand. Regardless, kudos to an all time great football player. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Sad to see him go. But in all honesty, it's time. He has had a spectacular career, nothing left to prove in my book. He went out on top as a Super Bowl champ. And more importantly, he dismantled Scam. He will always have my respect for this alone. May the words Omaha Omaha ring loud and true forever!! 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• What can be better than going out on top?  He deserves a long & happy retirement.  Over the years, he's kicked my butt in fantasy football (ours is a legacy league) so part of me is happy about him hanging up the cleats. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Congrats to Peyton... Fun to watch and always the ultimate professional. Hope he ends up coaching somewhere..  Great with the X & O 's!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Good riddance! Go Chiefs ... In all seriousness he was really fun to watch over the years. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Good riddance! Go Chiefs ... In all seriousness he was really fun to watch over the years. 
    Except when he was playing KC.  I never got to meet Payton, but did meet his mom, dad and wife one time when he was with the Colts and played the Chiefs in Arrowhead.  They were very nice people.  Now Denver will see if they can go all the way without him.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    As we all say, "You know when it's when."  And he had the perfect set-up for the "when".  No fan of Denver or Mr. Teeth but I do appreciate Peyton's commitment, work ethic, and sustained performance at the highest level for the duration.  Class act.  
    BTW-he definitely made the right decision.  Too many just can't let go at the right time and the final seasons are just a shell of what they used to bring.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited March 2016

I've been a Broncos FAN since I was 5 years old living in Wheatridge, a suburb of Denver, in 1961.

Elway did, and has done more, for the Broncos than Peyton ever will.

I am grateful that PM got another SB in/for Denver. (though the defense got the task done all season!).

Going out on top and healthy is a good thing. Smart, vary smart.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039

He was the face of the NFL for so long.    Class act.  Ultimate professional.   He is making the right call.   Way to go Peyton.

Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    SGH said:
    Brother in Carolina, please don't buy into the media nonsense. You know all to well that they lie. If you doubt this, look for yourself. On any given day you can find a bull$hit article about what great people that Hillary and Obummer are. Or what great jobs that they have done. When in fact, everone knows that they are snakes in the grass that has almost brought this country to its knees. You know that these things are false, yet they say it with a smile on their lying face. Brother Manning has been the epitome of greatness. Both on and off of the field. A true God fearing conservative. So when you read liberal crap like that, simply dismiss it for what it is. Liberal crap and propaganda. Nothing more my friend. 
    That's all fine and well Scottie, but I challenge anyone to read that piece and conclude Peyton isn't a dirtbag.  There are court documents there.  Lies are one thing, public records another.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    "My tes-ti-cles are on your nose"

To the tune of Nationwide is on your side. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    "My tes-ti-cles are on your nose"

To the tune of Nationwide is on your side. 
    Every gentleman and great man has put his nuts on top of an athletic trainer's head at some point, right?   There's obviously nothing to see here...
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @JohnInCarolina a true gentleman also performs the "atomic brown nose" at some point in his career. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    @JohnInCarolina a true gentleman also performs the "atomic brown nose" at some point in his career. 
    How could I forget?!?!?!?
  • Huge fan . . . hate to see him go.  He's been great for his teams and great for the game.  And now he's matched his little bro in hardware, so with all those records in the books, he's back on top at family dinners.  

The only legit knock on the guy is when people wonder whether all that success gave him a big head . . .  

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    I had the privilege of watching Peyton play for my hometown Indianapolis Colts for many years. The Colts were perennial losers before he was drafted. During his time here we went to the playoffs 11 of the 13 years he played. It is said around here that he changed Indianapolis from a basketball/ racing city to a football city. It's also said that if not for Peyton we would not have built Lucas Oil Stadium or hosted the Super Bowl in 2012. Who knows? Those were great times and I hated to see him leave, but understand the business side of it too. Most of Indianapolis were Broncos fans for Super Bowl 50 because of Peyton. The man simply changed the way the game is played. Whoever heard of the no huddle offense before Peyton?

But for all of his accomplishments on the field, it is his off the field philanthropy that will leave a legacy long after our lifetimes. We have the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital largely funded by him. He has not just donated money to a project, but has remained involved in management decisions even after moving to Denver. He has been known to call the parents of children who are staying at the hospital to see how they are being cared for. He asks to speak to the children to see how they are and visits them on a regular basis when he can.

There will never be another Peyton Manning in the NFL. I wish him well in his next endeavor, whatever that may be. He may be retiring as a player and a first ballot Hall of Famer, but I don't think we've heard the last of Peyton.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166

He was humble when he won and gracious after a lose. A trait that many of the self proclaimed 'Supermen' in sports today should strive to achieve.

Simply put; just a damn good example of how we all should conduct ourselves everyday.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'm going to ask my wife to look at my foot tonight before we get in bed then pull a "Peyton Manning" on her.  It's the "Pull My Finger" for the 21st Century!!! Genius.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sher-bear and I were lamenting on what we'll do now. We've followed Peyton since his freshman year at Tennessee. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I'm going to ask my wife to look at my foot tonight before we get in bed then pull a "Peyton Manning" on her.  It's the "Pull My Finger" for the 21st Century!!! Genius.

Flint, Michigan
  • NPHuskerFL
    I'm going to ask my wife to look at my foot tonight before we get in bed then pull a "Peyton Manning" on her.  It's the "Pull My Finger" for the 21st Century!!! Genius.
    WTH does that even mean :confused: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • GATraveller

Obviously you didn't read the article John posted. It's a reference to the alleged sexual assault. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger

That's the new term for tea bagging...
  • NPHuskerFL
    @GATraveller  I did read it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Figures John would bring it up.... Can't stand to see a good guy. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GATraveller
    @GATraveller  I did read it. 

Not quite sure why they dredge crap like that up but it has to be sour grapes. Guy has done so much good and had a storybook career so the haters start flinging poo. I found the whole story quite humorous. For the record I like the guy - even if he was a Vol.  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    When has a thread ever stayed on topic?